Luon7951

Family in US

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey everyone, filing for K-1 here.

I have read on this forum that some people have gotten a blue slip requesting about additional information regarding family residing in the US after the interview. 

My fiance has an uncle on her dad's side that lives in California (I live in Minnesota), but they have not been in contact for more than 10 years. If the officer happens to ask during the interview if she has any relatives that live in the US of course she should respond truthfully, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do before hand to lessen the chance of a blue slip?

Timeline

We prepared a list with the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of our parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts, and uncles.  There were a couple that we did not know all the information so jwe ust provided what we knew.  It was not mentioned during the interview.  One reason they request this is to determine if the marriage is fraudulent and arranged to reunite family members in the U.S.  You shouldn't have any issues given that your wife is not in contact with the uncle and the distance separating you.  Still, prepare a list.  It is better to have more than you need than show up and discover you need something you didn't bring.

Jason

Timeline

I would definitely disclose it. Not unusual to have relatives in the U.S. If they're concerned, they'll ask you. As for the interview, based on personal experience, you should do the following:

Stay calm. While waiting, talk to each other, smile, and don't appear nervous (even though it's natural that you are nervous). Your fiance will be interviewed without you. However, they may ask you a few questions after they are done with her. It's routine. Be honest. Keep your answers short. Look at them when answering questions and be friendly. If you don't understand the question, ask them to clarify. Make sure you know everything (when you met, where the two of you have been, her family info, etc.). They seem to care about her life in the U.S. - will she work, study, etc. Have an answer. If she speaks English, that's good. If not, don't worry. If you don't have any financial issues/concerns, have a plan for the future, and seem generally well-balanced, you will sail through it. If you have money or criminal issues, be ready for questions. I had some complicated financial documents (government employee and self-employed) and a big age gap. We clarified and explained - no problem. She'll get the visa in about a week via EMS courier. If you have any questions, just send them my way. Good luck! Enjoy the Consulate interview - it's kind of crazy! (Get to the gate at least 30 minutes early and don't talk to people on the street - they'll scam you)

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I used this document to fill out the family part.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/FAMILY-TREE.pdf

CR1 NEBRASKA

I-130 SENT-3/26/18

I-130 RECEIVED-3/28/18

NOA1-4/2/18

NOA2-1/26/19

RECEIVED NOA2 IN MAIL-2/2/19

NVC RECEIVED PETITION-2/12/19

RECEIVED CASE AND INVOICE # FROM NVC-3/20/19

SUMMITED ALL DOCUMENTS-3/30/19

CASE COMPLETE-4/12/19

INTERVIEW LETTER-4/20/19

INTERVIEW-5/23/19 (Did not get Approved)

Second Interview-7/12/19 (Approved)

event.png

event.png

yum 006.JPG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.