Raiden30

SSN Rejected - Applied prior to 14 days until I-94 expiry

8 posts in this topic

My wife returned to the SS office (for the hundredth time) today 2/5/19. They gave her a letter that said the following:

"We cannot issue you a Social Security card at this time because: 
Your legal immigration status and/or documents will expire before an SSN card can be issued to you.

SSA entered an Expiration Date for the DHS Document that has either passed or is within 14 days of expiration. SSA cannot continue with the application process." 

We submitted an application at the SS office on 1/25/19.

The SAVE Check system showed "Case Returned to Agency" on 1/31/19.

She went to the SS office on 2/5/19 to check on the status and they gave her the letter listed above.

Her I-94 expiration date is 2/16/19. 

This makes no sense to me. She submitted the application 22 days before her I-94 expiration date and the SAVE system even showed that a decision had been reached 16 days before the expiration date. I understand that today is within 14 days but it should be the application / verification date that matters. 

From reading some other posts, it seems that we are probably screwed and will need to wait until she has her EAD to get her SSN. I plan to go to the office with her tomorrow anyway to see if we can fight this based on the application / verification dates being before the 14 days.

She has already been speaking with the supervisor (Field Office Manager) the past few times she has gone. 

Her original application was actually submitted 11/29/18 but was messed up due to the gross incompetence of several employees.

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, Raiden30 said:

My wife returned to the SS office (for the hundredth time) today 2/5/19. They gave her a letter that said the following:

"We cannot issue you a Social Security card at this time because: 
Your legal immigration status and/or documents will expire before an SSN card can be issued to you.

SSA entered an Expiration Date for the DHS Document that has either passed or is within 14 days of expiration. SSA cannot continue with the application process." 

We submitted an application at the SS office on 1/25/19.

The SAVE Check system showed "Case Returned to Agency" on 1/31/19.

She went to the SS office on 2/5/19 to check on the status and they gave her the letter listed above.

Her I-94 expiration date is 2/16/19. 

This makes no sense to me. She submitted the application 22 days before her I-94 expiration date and the SAVE system even showed that a decision had been reached 16 days before the expiration date. I understand that today is within 14 days but it should be the application / verification date that matters. 

From reading some other posts, it seems that we are probably screwed and will need to wait until she has her EAD to get her SSN. I plan to go to the office with her tomorrow anyway to see if we can fight this based on the application / verification dates being before the 14 days.

She has already been speaking with the supervisor (Field Office Manager) the past few times she has gone. 

Her original application was actually submitted 11/29/18 but was messed up due to the gross incompetence of several employees.

Thank you.

The problem is not the officers, its the system. The system simply can't produce a SSN when you don't meet the requirements. Verification can take a little while, going to get a SSN less then 1 month before I-94 expires is pushing it with the time it takes sometimes.

Although you applied on time, she doesn't meet the requirements anymore and so you have to wait for EAD/AP to come in. You can try to go back tomorrow, but it will probably be a waste of your time.

3 minutes ago, Raiden30 said:

but it should be the application / verification date that matters. 

The actual application doesn't occur until verification of status completes. This check is a prerequisite for a completed application to be submitted.

As for what it "should" be, that's an opinion. But the above is what is followed due to current law and policies.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

3 minutes ago, C90 said:

The problem is not the officers, its the system. The system simply can't produce a SSN when you don't meet the requirements. Verification can take a little while, going to get a SSN less then 1 month before I-94 expires is pushing it with the time it takes sometimes.

Although you applied on time, she doesn't meet the requirements anymore and so you have to wait for EAD/AP to come in. You can try to go back tomorrow, but it will probably be a waste of your time.

Thanks. As I said, our original application was accepted by the SS office and submitted on 11/29/18; 10 days after her POE and 79 days before her I-94 expiration. This application was not successful for some reason, due to how the SS office employees handled it. 

6 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The actual application doesn't occur until verification of status completes. This check is a prerequisite for a completed application to be submitted.

As for what it "should" be, that's an opinion. But the above is what is followed due to current law and policies.

Isn't the verification of status the SAVE check that is performed? If so, this was completed on 1/31/19 and the case was returned to the SS agency as of this date. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
Just now, Raiden30 said:

Thanks. As I said, our original application was accepted by the SS office and submitted on 11/29/18; 10 days after her POE and 79 days before her I-94 expiration. This application was not successful for some reason, due to how the SS office employees handled it. 

That could be, but fact is that she doesn't meet the requirements at this moment. It sucks, but it's an automated system, unfortunately a SSO can't change that. 
When I applied I had to go trough manual verification. The SSO told me that if it would take too long they wouldn't be able to assign me a SSN anymore since the system simply doesn't let him. My manual verification fortunately only took 3 weeks and I was on top of it.

Edited by C90

6 minutes ago, Raiden30 said:

Isn't the verification of status the SAVE check that is performed? If so, this was completed on 1/31/19 and the case was returned to the SS agency as of this date. 

Yes, although the result and processing of it seems to not have made it back to the SSA before the validity period to apply closed.

Manual checks do not go quickly. 1/31 was a Thursday. 2/2 was a Saturday. That's 1 business day to process the result.

Not justifying the horrible and inefficient process...just providing some background information. I do agree that the whole thing is ridiculous...but it is what it is right now. They are no longer permitted to issue an SSN without an EAD or green card. The cause and fault of that is not considered.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

25 minutes ago, C90 said:

That could be, but fact is that she doesn't meet the requirements at this moment. It sucks, but it's an automated system, unfortunately a SSO can't change that. 
When I applied I had to go trough manual verification. The SSO told me that if it would take too long they wouldn't be able to assign me a SSN anymore since the system simply doesn't let him. My manual verification fortunately only took 3 weeks and I was on top of it.

24 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Yes, although the result and processing of it seems to not have made it back to the SSA before the validity period to apply closed.

Manual checks do not go quickly. 1/31 was a Thursday. 2/2 was a Saturday. That's 1 business day to process the result.

Not justifying the horrible and inefficient process...just providing some background information. I do agree that the whole thing is ridiculous...but it is what it is right now. They are no longer permitted to issue an SSN without an EAD or green card. The cause and fault of that is not considered.

Thank you both for your input. Too bad the original application didn’t go through correctly. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.