Girona40

Worried about attorney's level of response

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

We instructed an attorney to deal with our son's case, a few months ago now. The case is rather unusual in that the District Director has agreed to look at our attorney's Argument and then send the file to the Administrative Appeals Office for a "certified" decision. This means that all other cases like ours will have to adjudicate in the same manner that the AAO decides.

Well, the attorney was told that the Argument had to go to the District Director, marked for her personal attention. I made it clear in an e-mail and my husband re-iterated this, several times, in a phone conversation with the attorney.

Well, for the past month we have been trying to get a copy of the Argument that he says he prepared and sent. He has promised, several times, that it will be in the mail - it hasn't arrived. He says that there is some problem sending it in an e-mail as it is a large document in pdf format - I receive pdf's that are hundreds of pages long every day without any problems.

We got hold of the District Director, who has been extremely helpful in this case - I think that they are as sick of it as we are and just want to end this 3 years of indecision. She tells us that the document has not been received, and it should have been almost a month ago!

My husband speaks with the attorney and he says that he sent it to Chicago - as this is the "standard" procedure for MTR's! We told him that this was not being dealt with in a "standard" fashion and that the District Director was courteous enough to meet with us over this and has offered an alternative way of dealing with it.

I sent an e-mail yesterday, again requesting a copy of this document he has supposedly produced, but I have not received a response. We paid this attorney up-gront, a considerable amount of money, and have seen absolutely nothing for it.

What would you do?

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
You know what I think, girlfriend. ;)

Yes I do, and I am feeling sick to my stomach because I know you are probably right!! :crying:

Our journey started in 2001 and it's still not over. It's been a rollercoaster ride all the way! Let me off - I wanna be sick!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy: I hope someone on here can give her some good, constructive feedback on this issue.

VJers reading this post, you should click on the poster's name "Girona40" and see the length of time and the runarounds this family has gone through in trying to get her son a green card. It blew my mind when I saw it yesterday. I hope someone can help her, though it looks like she and her family have tried EVERYTHING known to mankind except getting on 20/20, 60 minutes, Dateline, etc. and telling their story of how trying to do it the LEGAL way has cost them MONEY, TIME, and I'm sure their SANITY.

Good luck Glenys!!!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Timeline
:goofy: I hope someone on here can give her some good, constructive feedback on this issue.

VJers reading this post, you should click on the poster's name "Girona40" and see the length of time and the runarounds this family has gone through in trying to get her son a green card. It blew my mind when I saw it yesterday. I hope someone can help her, though it looks like she and her family have tried EVERYTHING known to mankind except getting on 20/20, 60 minutes, Dateline, etc. and telling their story of how trying to do it the LEGAL way has cost them MONEY, TIME, and I'm sure their SANITY.

Good luck Glenys!!!!!!!!!!! :goofy:

Thanks Shari, I appreciate your concern, especially when you have enough on your own plate to deal with. My sanity was lost a little while back now - I don't think anyone should have to spend 3 years going through what we have.

Thankfully, I have a wonderful husband who, up to now, has had the patience of a saint! He has always been so confident that we will get a favourable result in the end, but now he is even questioning where to go from here.

Filed: Timeline

Wow dont know what to say other than I am sorry you are having to deal with all this....

If it was me I would be down at the lawyers office and would not leave without the copy of the report.... cant be to big to print......

I wish you good luck and a speedy result

Kezzie

Timeline
Wow dont know what to say other than I am sorry you are having to deal with all this....

If it was me I would be down at the lawyers office and would not leave without the copy of the report.... cant be to big to print......

I wish you good luck and a speedy result

Kezzie

Hi Kezzie,

Believe me, if his office wasn't on the other side of the country from us, we would have been there before now. My husband has seriously considered purchasing a ticket and going to his office.

Someone else suggested getting in touch with the Bar Association - I have no experience of dealing with them, or what they can do, but I am getting close to making that phone call.

Thanks for your kind wishes.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't understand one thing - is the attorney not in the same city or state you are in? What's preventing you from driving down to his office and getting the document immediately. You can also threaten to report him to the Bar association or the DAs office and ask for disbarment (or something like that.) I would also demand my money back if he doesn't produce it immediately. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline

Girona40

I called my husbands cousin he is a Fedral Court Judge... I read your post to him... he is amazed... he said your lawyer has had plenty long enough to mail you a copy of the documents he says he has sent... He says you need to phone the Bar Association and ask for their assistance... He also says if it turns out he has not sent out the documents you can take action against him in the courts....

Hope this helps

Kezzie

I don't understand one thing - is the attorney not in the same city or state you are in? What's preventing you from driving down to his office and getting the document immediately. You can also threaten to report him to the Bar association or the DAs office and ask for disbarment (or something like that.) I would also demand my money back if he doesn't produce it immediately. Good Luck

Her reply probably came up as you were posting, but no, they are not in the same city and state. On the other side of the country, actually.

I like the idea about contacting the Bar Association if she doesn't get some kind of a response. I would for sure keep a record of all your correspondance with this loser.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would contact the Bar Association now! And I would also call this guy every hour on the hour if that's what it takes and just bug the living sh!t out of him and whoever else works in his office. Dammit, you paid him money to do a job and he is NOT doing it...no more Mr. Nice Guy.

If all comes to all, I would seriously consider one of you flying to his office and sitting there until you're given some satisfaction. Believe me, people like this do not respond until they are pushed!

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Are there any 'good' lawyer stories out there?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would fire this lawyer, hire a good one and sue the ####### - to recover the fees

at the very least, and possibly to get compensated for his negligence and emotional

distress he caused you and your family.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline
Girona40

I called my husbands cousin he is a Fedral Court Judge... I read your post to him... he is amazed... he said your lawyer has had plenty long enough to mail you a copy of the documents he says he has sent... He says you need to phone the Bar Association and ask for their assistance... He also says if it turns out he has not sent out the documents you can take action against him in the courts....

Hope this helps

Kezzie

Thanks Kezzie - you didn't have to go to the trouble of calling your husband's cousin. That was very thoughtful.

I have done a little research on the web - I wish I had done so before we instructed this guy. He has been charged by the Bar Association for this kind of conduct before and reprimanded for it!

I have tried to telephone the Bar Association in the State he practices, but the number is continually busy. I don't know for sure that this number is the correct one.

I am concerned to see if he actually produced the document at all, and get a copy of it, rather than have him reprimanded at this point. We have been through enough stress and I really don't think I can take any more. I am already on medication because I just about broke-down when the doctor asked what things were causing me stress at the moment.

If we can get the document, we can send it ourselves to where it has to go, rather than waiting to see if he has.

I just want a copy and he isn't responding to e-mails or phone calls. My husband is going to try and call him again and point out that he has a duty of care to his client and a duty to provide them copies of documents if they request them. This is just getting ridiculous!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Sorry to hear that the bar association has a record of misconduct on this person. Good luck on getting some help and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.