vkrishn

Any one with recent OCI Experience?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I am applying OCI for myself. After some of the confusing instructions or lack of at the beginning, i have almost filled everything out now and ready to send out the docs to CKGS. Few questions:-

1. CKGS checklist asks for two photos. The Government form that i printed out post all the registration (Part A and Part B) has my photo displayed in the completed form. Do i need to paste one of the photos on top of the digital image that is displayed or should i just clip the two photos to the form and send it out? 

2.  They are also asking for Original American passport to be sent out along with the application. Processing time for OCI quoted is 90 days. Will CKGS keep the passport for the entire duration or will they send it back to me midway? What if i have to travel outside US during any urgency? 

Thanks. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

1) No you shouldn't paste your photos on top of the digital photo. That's the same photo that will be printed on your OCI booklet. You can put the passport photos in a small envelope and staple it to a blank a4 size paper or even paper clip them to the form and send it with the rest of the documents. That way there will be less chances of them misplacing them. 

2) If you visit a CKGS document drop off centre in your city they might not take your US passport. That's what they did for my husband and some other people I know of. He went to submit the documents at CKGS Centre New York and they only looked at his US passport and returned it back immediately. He received his OCI 2 months later. You need to book an appointment for documents drop off. Check on the CKGS website to see if they have a documents drop off centre close to you. If that doesn't work, you can try calling CKGS helpline and ask them if a certified copy of your passport will work instead of the original. Their call centre staff are very helpful. Their contact numbers are 516-206-1483,
646-589-0088. 

Edited by ShreebhagyaK9

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Thanks. I just saw your response now. 

I did not paste the photo and just clipped the two pics with a paper clip with rest of the documents and mailed it last week. Current status is that docs are heading to the consulate so assume that was the right thing to do. 

Second, it does not matter whether you appear in person or if you mail the docs. You need to give them the original US passport and they will mail it back to you. As per process, they will mail the US passport as soon as possible(or ask you to come and pick up at a later date if you had dropped it off in person) and then OCI will arrive later. Expecting the US passport to come back to me in 2 weeks. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I read about that on there website and was worried because my husband had his trip to India booked in advance 3 days after his appointment. I was scared that they will take his passport and we will have to end up cancelling the trip. When he went there, they just looked at his passport and gave it back. He even volunteered to submit it. The lady behind the counter said all his documents were good and they don't need his passport. I thought maybe midway through the process they will ask for it again but they never did. My husband applied for OCI on the basis of marriage to an Indian citizen. That was our experience. Whatever happens I wish you good luck. These days they seem to be processing OCI's faster than the given time frame. 

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:34 PM, vkrishn said:

Hi All,

I am applying OCI for myself. After some of the confusing instructions or lack of at the beginning, i have almost filled everything out now and ready to send out the docs to CKGS. Few questions:-

1. CKGS checklist asks for two photos. The Government form that i printed out post all the registration (Part A and Part B) has my photo displayed in the completed form. Do i need to paste one of the photos on top of the digital image that is displayed or should i just clip the two photos to the form and send it out? 

2.  They are also asking for Original American passport to be sent out along with the application. Processing time for OCI quoted is 90 days. Will CKGS keep the passport for the entire duration or will they send it back to me midway? What if i have to travel outside US during any urgency? 

Thanks. 

I just started filling out the OCI application and the process is a nightmare. Would be grateful if you can answer a few questions: 1) Did you have to fill out the form(s) in the Indian govt website first, print them and then come to the CKGS website or do you start with the CKGS website? 2) Also, I assume you must have received your OCI card by now. How long did it take? @vkrishn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.