Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

N-400 for the child (came 16y in use, has GC, but passed 18 y before my application for citizenship

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

At this moment I feel confused and thought to log in again to this side which has been a good help for me.

My question consists in Form N - 400 for me & my son.

I am preparing the Application for Naturalization through marriage with US - citizen 3 months before my 3 years anniversary.

My son was 16 when we came here with a K-1 visa. He got the Green Card, but 3 years are passing and he has turned 18 already. From what I have read, I realized that children take the citizenship from mother when they are under 18 (When the mother get citizenship before children turn 18).

I understand that he has to make e separate application from me, but is he eligible to apply now?

So, can my son apply now, at the same time as me, or he has to wait for 5 years to apply?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



as stated, he has to wait 5 years to apply for citizenship, the 3 year rule is only for spouses of USC and still married to the USC


90 days prior to his 5 year, he can file for citizenship, and he isn't a child anymore, in the US, at 18 or above, he is an adult


the N400 is for adults, 18 and above who will need to take the citizenship test and interview



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.