5 posts in this topic

My mother in law called, to let us know that my husband got a notice that he's been selected to serve in the Polish Army. We got married last month, and are preparing the paperwork to file AOS. Does anyone know what to do?

Since he's gaining permanent residency here in the US, is he now not bound to serve a requirement in Poland?

I'm scared that when we'll travel to Poland with AP, that we may have problems once he enters. I hear they can detain you, and either you have 48hr arrest to explain yourself, or they have the possibility to make you serve immediately.

Help! :help: I'm freaking out.

12140.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
My mother in law called, to let us know that my husband got a notice that he's been selected to serve in the Polish Army. We got married last month, and are preparing the paperwork to file AOS. Does anyone know what to do?

Since he's gaining permanent residency here in the US, is he now not bound to serve a requirement in Poland?

I'm scared that when we'll travel to Poland with AP, that we may have problems once he enters. I hear they can detain you, and either you have 48hr arrest to explain yourself, or they have the possibility to make you serve immediately.

Help! :help: I'm freaking out.

Well first thing I would do if I were him would be to call the Polish Embassy in D.C. at (202) 232-4517. Or to get more info from this selective service notice and contact someone in Poland of where he was to report. I read they passed a law last year to phase out selective service and make it fully voluntary by 2010. I very much doubt anything would come out of it especially because of the 129F visa etc...

~ AOS Journey ~

03/08/2007: AOS/EAD sent

03/16/2007: NOA AOS/EAD

03/21/2007: Touched

04/05/2007: Biometrics

04/09/2007: Touched

04/11/2007: Case transferred to CSC

05/16/2007: Case pending at CSC

05/17/2007: AOS Touched

05/24/2007: EAD Touched

05/29/2007: EAD Approved (82 days)

06/19/2007: AOS Approved (93 days)

Perhaps the first thing your husband needs to do is contact the Polish Embassy here in the US, let them know of the change in his circumstance (he is immigrating to the US) and what he can do about this call to serve.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I very much doubt anything would come out of it especially because of the 129F visa etc...

I know they can create a mess of problems. And I would rather deal with the situation know, than worry about entry into Poland with him, to find out he'll have problems.

I believe there is a Polish Embassy here in Chicago, so I'll give them a call to find out what the steps are. I didn't even think about going through them, so thanks for the tip!

If anyone else had a similar situation, I'd appreciate feedback on what you did, and the outcome.

12140.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

If you live in Chicago area, maybe better pay them a visit. I think it's always easier to talk face to face, especially when issue is quite complex.

What I would do if I were you: I would ask his mom to go to local WKU (I think this is the name of the place) and tell them where he is and why and ask them what he can do under the circumstainces and so on and see what they have to say. I wonder if he was not supposed to have gone to them himself and notify them of his plans - but who knows - it might be naive thinking as they could have called him in before he left Poland.

As to your concern of having him arrested, I honestly doubt they would do it at the airport unless somebody let them know you are coming. I don't believe airlines send them a list of passengers, do you ? But if somebody reports him when he is there, he might face serious problems. And believe me, this might happen.

I am really, really curious how everything ends, so please keep us posted.

And of course best of luck to you guys.

Ana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.