timo900

N-400 details

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hello, 

I hope everyone is doing well after the holidays and are starting their new year with something new and exciting. I am filing my citizenship forms in January 2019 (marriage to US Citizen for three years and green card for three years). I do have some questions about the details about the application

- the times when i returned to United States..i used to travel back and worth a lot and since the customs only enters the entry dates I do not have the exact day i left, where could i find them? I do have the next entry dates but I am missing the time in between? Do i also list the connecting flight countries when i didn't leave the airport secured area?

- When they ask about how many times has your spouse been married, do i state zero or one if the only marriage is the current one? I know it sounds dumb but I am way too nit picky

- The only question that confuses me is part 12 additional information about you, point 44. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays?  I have had three previous J1 visas for the summer and one tourism visa..I HAVE NEVER ENTERED US ILLEGALLY or anything like that. It also asks when did you register for the selective service? I do not know what is a selective service or selective service number. I am confused because i did live in the united states between my 18th and 26th birthdays on my J1 visas and holidays but the second part is for military personnel, or? Is this section for someone who has filed everything legally and correctly and has not been or served in any sort of military?

Thank you and happy holidays!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline

The N400 form requires your travel ONLY since you became a lawful permanent resident. Your exit dates should be the days you left the U.S. either by air on by land. So go through your emails and check flight tickets you purchased and see the itineraries. If you left so many times and don't have all information at hand put as many as you could remember. You'll have a chance to explain this on your interview. The immigration officer should be able to access the database and count all dates for you manually and sum it up to see if you meet the continuous residency requirement. 

You don't have to list the connecting flight countries when you were just transiting through the airport and didn't even leave the airport. List your destination countries as that was your destination when you purchased your air ticket. Also include other countries you visited after arriving at your destination country as well. When factoring the time out of the U.S. you count the days you were physically abroad including those spent on transit and sum it up. Provided you didn't spend more than 6 months abroad in a year you'll be fine. 

Regading your marriage if this is the first marriage between you and your spouse then it's 1. If your spouse was ever married before marrying you then it will be 2 or more depending on how many times he/she has been married before. Regarding the selective service question if you were in valid J1 status as a lawful non-immigrant during those years you were 18 to 26 then your answer will be NO. This is not applicable to you since you lived as a lawful non-immigrant during those years. If you lived as a permanent resident or an undocumented alien then the answer will be yes since they're the ones required to register for selective service. Since your answer is no you'll have to leave the next question blank regarding selective service number and registration date. This part is not for military personnel it's for those who were required to register for selective service and did so. You were not required so leave it as it is.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

First, go to this i94 page and see if they have a record of your US arrivals/departures, based on your foreign passport. When you fill out the N400 application, make sure to include every entry/exit listed as your application will be cross checked with this record. Then spitball the rest of your trips as best you can.

Your spouse is married. It can't be zero.

I would explain that you lived in the US on a J1 (non-immigrant) visa and therefore never registered for selective service.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.