JL818

DFA authentication (Red Ribbon) for verification of education (Nursing)

29 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Curious to see if any of you have needed to get DFA authentication (red ribbon) to verify your education. My wife is trying to get eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN and the California Board of Registered Nursing just came back and said that she needs to validate her diploma with the Department of Foreign Affairs before she is even allowed to take the exam. 

If any of you have been through this before, is there any way to do this without my wife having to fly back to the Philippines? It seems the DFA only takes these requests in person. In addition, my wife does not have any relatives or friends in Manila that will be able to help her do this. Is there some kind of service that can help with this and has anyone any good experiences or recommendations? We are really stuck on what to do next. 

24 minutes ago, JL818 said:

In addition, my wife does not have any relatives or friends in Manila that will be able to help her do this. Is there some kind of service that can help with this and has anyone any good experiences or recommendations?

The following blog mentions LBC Express (but doesn't specify if available from USA): https://thepinoyofw.com/red-ribbon-documents/

3 hours ago, JL818 said:

Hi All,

Curious to see if any of you have needed to get DFA authentication (red ribbon) to verify your education. My wife is trying to get eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN and the California Board of Registered Nursing just came back and said that she needs to validate her diploma with the Department of Foreign Affairs before she is even allowed to take the exam. 

If any of you have been through this before, is there any way to do this without my wife having to fly back to the Philippines? It seems the DFA only takes these requests in person. In addition, my wife does not have any relatives or friends in Manila that will be able to help her do this. Is there some kind of service that can help with this and has anyone any good experiences or recommendations? We are really stuck on what to do next. 

go to allnurses forum and find international section, at one time they had every answer anyone needed to know about nurses coming from Philippines and California BON specifically.

Last I knew the Cali Board of Nursing does their own creditianal evaluation for the education part

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

6 hours ago, lummo said:

The following blog mentions LBC Express (but doesn't specify if available from USA): https://thepinoyofw.com/red-ribbon-documents/

We called LBC Express and it doesn't seem like they offer such a service, at least not for the US.

3 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

go to allnurses forum and find international section, at one time they had every answer anyone needed to know about nurses coming from Philippines and California BON specifically.

Last I knew the Cali Board of Nursing does their own creditianal evaluation for the education part

I did a search for "DFA", "Red Ribbon", etc. on the allnurses forum and could not find anything related to California BRN. I could not even find anything via a Google search related to California BON ever asking for this. All signs seem to indicate that it is not standard for California BRN to ask for this information, and I'm starting to wonder if we received an over-zealous evaluator (but please, someone let me know if I'm wrong). This is extremely frustrating.

18 minutes ago, JL818 said:

I did a search for "DFA", "Red Ribbon", etc. on the allnurses forum and could not find anything related to California BRN. I could not even find anything via a Google search related to California BON ever asking for this. All signs seem to indicate that it is not standard for California BRN to ask for this information, and I'm starting to wonder if we received an over-zealous evaluator (but please, someone let me know if I'm wrong). This is extremely frustrating.

Did you ever call the California Board Of Nursing or look on their website for their requirements?

I have done a few applications for Texas and California (8 years ago), everything I needed was on the State BON website, if I had any questions I just called them and got clarification.

22 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Did you ever call the California Board Of Nursing or look on their website for their requirements?

I have done a few applications for Texas and California (8 years ago), everything I needed was on the State BON website, if I had any questions I just called them and got clarification.

Yes, on the CA BON website, it mentions nothing about having to get your transcripts authenticated. It only mentions having to have your transcripts and diploma sent directly from the nursing program, which we had done much earlier in the process. This is what is mentioned in all of their forms as well. We had actually completed all of the BON requirements after multiple follow-up requests and they even sent us a letter stating that we are eligible to sit for the exam. Then a day later, they wrote again and said that we also need to get DFA certification for the diploma as well and that our application was incomplete. Very frustrating... 

From everyone we have spoken to, they have not had to go through this authentication process for the California BON. In addition, if you do a google search or search on allnurses, I don't think you will find anything that makes it seem like this is ever asked of any CA BON applicants.... it's all nursing applicants applying to other countries (e.g., UAE) This is why I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this in the US, particularly California. 

I've already written a lengthy complaint email to the CA BON about why these requirements were not requested up front when they performed the evaluation back in 2016 and why they keep flip flopping and bringing up all these requirements in an unexpected, piece meal, ad hoc manner.

Edited by JL818

1 hour ago, JL818 said:

Yes, on the CA BON website, it mentions nothing about having to get your transcripts authenticated. It only mentions having to have your transcripts and diploma sent directly from the nursing program, which we had done much earlier in the process. This is what is mentioned in all of their forms as well. We had actually completed all of the BON requirements after multiple follow-up requests and they even sent us a letter stating that we are eligible to sit for the exam. Then a day later, they wrote again and said that we also need to get DFA certification for the diploma as well and that our application was incomplete. Very frustrating... 

From everyone we have spoken to, they have not had to go through this authentication process for the California BON. In addition, if you do a google search or search on allnurses, I don't think you will find anything that makes it seem like this is ever asked of any CA BON applicants.... it's all nursing applicants applying to other countries (e.g., UAE) This is why I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this in the US, particularly California. 

I've already written a lengthy complaint email to the CA BON about why these requirements were not requested up front when they performed the evaluation back in 2016 and why they keep flip flopping and bringing up all these requirements in an unexpected, piece meal, ad hoc manner.

Most states or CE places (Most State boards wants their diploma evaluated by a choice of 3 CE companies in the USA), all you had to do is have them send the Transcripts directly to where it is wanted, what we would do is have them put it in a envelope with a seal and then send it via Fed Ex or DHL to where it was needed per state boards instructions.

I highly doubt it need it red ribboned

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

2 of my siblings just passed the Texas State Board and one of the documents they needed was to have their transcripts red ribboned, I’m not sure if they do the same for the CA State BON tho.

Edited by Elle29

30 minutes ago, Elle29 said:

2 of my siblings just passed the Texas State Board and one of the documents they needed was to have their transcripts red ribboned, I’m not sure if they do the same for the CA State BON tho.

50 states and 50 different set of rules

Texas doesn't need it to be red ribboned, your siblings wasted time and effort. I just did my wife in Texas,  I have done 3 girls from PI in Texas to get approved to sit for NCLEX

Here is Texas requirements for NCLEX for international students

http://www.bne.state.tx.us/licensure_examination.asp

1. an original Credential Evaluation Service (CES) Full Education Professional report : not course-by-course report sent directly from an approved organization. The Board accepts the CES from any one of these:
    • the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) www.cgfns.org
    • the Educational Records Evaluation Service, Inc. (ERES) www.eres.com, or the
    • the International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF) www.ierf.org.
      Note: The CES must be dated within one year of issuance by the certification organization.
  2. a Verification of Licensure (VOL) form from all countries, states, provinces, and/or territories where you hold or have held a license. The VOL must come directly from the licensing authority and must bear the authority’s official seal. The VOL is only valid for one (1) year after it is signed and sealed by the licensing authority. (RN VOL form, LVN VOL form)
    *Note: the CES Full Education course-by-course report will contain your original country of licensure’s VOL.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe because they went through an agency and that was their instruction, so just followed. It didn’t hurt tho and they successfully made it. 

11 hours ago, Elle29 said:

Maybe because they went through an agency and that was their instruction, so just followed. It didn’t hurt tho and they successfully made it. 

Hi Elle, what agency did they use?

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 12/26/2018 at 8:59 PM, JL818 said:

Hi All,

Hi! I just recently passed nclex for California and I didnt go to embassy for red ribbon at all. Just passed all the requirements to bon and waited for my att.

20 hours ago, Elle29 said:

1.) No longer a product of Philippines once you come to the USA

2.) Don't Fall In Line

3.) Stop fearing authority figures (Security Guards, etc)

4.) Learn how to ask questions and demand an answer if not satisfied....

5 hours ago, delish said:

Hi! I just recently passed nclex for California and I didnt go to embassy for red ribbon at all. Just passed all the requirements to bon and waited for my att.

Can you please explain to the class what is " att" in referring to NCLEX and PearsonVue...........

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.