Jump to content
Mr J

Name layout on I-94, and how to input on I-485

9 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue with their I-94 and what they did regards it and if at all had problems with the AOS process because of it? On my I-94 it shows both my First and Middle names put in the location where it states 'First (Given) Name'. Is this acceptable or will it cause issues further down the line at all? Because of the way it is worded it sounds as if only the First name should be there, I had seen another post where others had the same issue but the post was from last year and I wanted to see if anyone had a more recent experience? The I-485 does have a question asking for your name as given on the I-94, this lists First, Middle and Last names, how did folks go about inputting this into the form? I may be overthinking this but you know how it is in wanting to get things correct first time.

 

Not sure if related, but I did have to be manually verified to get my SSN which took 49 days from start to finally receiving my card. When I went into the Social Security Office the clerk found me on her computer system twice, once under my correct name as seen on my passport, the second one my correct name but in the wrong order. She tried 4 different ways to rectify it but couldn't and said she would have to send photocopies of my paperwork to Homeland Security for them to sort out. That got sorted but not sure if it was I-94 related due to my middle name being on my I-94 after my first name... rather confused and not getting any concrete answers, not sure I want to start trying to change things on the form if it's not needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr J said:

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue with their I-94 and what they did regards it and if at all had problems with the AOS process because of it? On my I-94 it shows both my First and Middle names put in the location where it states 'First (Given) Name'. Is this acceptable or will it cause issues further down the line at all? Because of the way it is worded it sounds as if only the First name should be there, I had seen another post where others had the same issue but the post was from last year and I wanted to see if anyone had a more recent experience? The I-485 does have a question asking for your name as given on the I-94, this lists First, Middle and Last names, how did folks go about inputting this into the form? I may be overthinking this but you know how it is in wanting to get things correct first time.

 

Not sure if related, but I did have to be manually verified to get my SSN which took 49 days from start to finally receiving my card. When I went into the Social Security Office the clerk found me on her computer system twice, once under my correct name as seen on my passport, the second one my correct name but in the wrong order. She tried 4 different ways to rectify it but couldn't and said she would have to send photocopies of my paperwork to Homeland Security for them to sort out. That got sorted but not sure if it was I-94 related due to my middle name being on my I-94 after my first name... rather confused and not getting any concrete answers, not sure I want to start trying to change things on the form if it's not needed?

This is exactly what happened to me on my I94 at the end of this August.

 

On my I-485, in the section for the I94, I input it EXACTLY how it was stated on my I94 as that's what the question requires EVEN if it was incorrect. Then I used an "Additional Information" section to explain that I know my I94 name is not my legal name but because of the way they input it on my I94, I input it how CBP did on my I94 as that's what the question asks. I went into detail what my legal name is and how they input it on my I94 showing that they were different. I submitted in October and have yet to have any problems.

 

And yes, I believe the manual verification is directly related to how my name was displayed on my I94. I went through it and was verified and DO have my SSN in my maiden name now.

Edited by K1visaHopeful

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

This is exactly what happened to me on my I94.

 

On my I-485, in the section for the I94, I input it EXACTLY how it was stated on my I94 as that's what the question requires EVEN if it was incorrect. Then I used an "Additional Information" section to explain that I know my I94 name is not my legal name but because of the way they input it on my I94, I input it how CBP did on my I94 as that's what the question asks. I went into detail what my legal name is and how they input it on my I94 showing that they were different. 

 

And yes, I believe the manual verification is directly related to how my name was displayed on my I94. I went through it and was verified and DO have my SSN in my maiden name now.

I take it you are still awaiting confirmation if it was accepted that way on your I-485 form?

 

I know that you can go to a Port of Entry to get things changed on the I-94, I contacted the Border Control at the airport where they said I can go in with my paperwork and they even emailed me a form to fill out to change things if need be to save going in, that just takes longer. All the issue is that my first and middle name (which have a space between them and are separated) have been put in the 'First (Given) Name:' Line (there is no middle name option on the I-94, it just states first and last names, but my full name does appear at the top left corner of the I-94) so wondering if this is even an issue though? has anyone else have the issue of the correct name but just First and Middle name on the same line?

 

Sorry if I am not making much sense? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr J said:

I take it you are still awaiting confirmation if it was accepted that way on your I-485 form?

I have submitted my AOS and have received NOA1. No interview. No RFE's.

 

I know that you can go to a Port of Entry to get things changed on the I-94, I contacted the Border Control at the airport where they said I can go in with my paperwork and they even emailed me a form to fill out to change things if need be to save going in, that just takes longer. You can try to correct it but rest assured the I94 doesnt have a middle name entry, so therefore  they will include your middle name as part of your given name as your middle name is in fact, part of your given name.

 

All the issue is that my first and middle

name (which have a space between them and are separated) have been put in the 'First (Given) Name:' Line (there is no middle name option on the I-94, it just states first and last names, but my full name does appear at the top left corner of the I-94) so wondering if this is even an issue though?

 

It's not an issue. CBP uses your passport to input your name into the system. Notice that your passport does not state First and Middle names either (only Given names) and it states your First and middle names with a space.

 

has anyone else have the issue of the correct name but just First and Middle name on the same line? YES!

So no, there is nothing to correct. It's just the way your passport is formatted thus forcing CBP to follow suit. Unfortunately the i485 DOES NOT follow the same format so just fill it in EXACTLY how the question asks you to even if it's wrong and explain why you did it that way (because you were answering the question exactly how they asked you to)

My legal name is:

First name: Jane

Middle name: Mary

Maiden Surname: Smith

 

My passport states:

Given names: Jane Mary

Surname: Smith

 

My I94 states: 

First (Given) name: Jane Mary

Last/Surname : Smith

 

My situation is exactly the same as yours.

 

I filled out the I485 Page 3 Part 1 Item 25 as follows:

25.a. Family Name (Last Name): SMITH

25.b. Given Name (First Name): JANE MARY

25.c. Middle Name: N/A

BECAUSE the question states to input exactly what is on your I94.

 

Then I explained the following in an "Additional "Information" Section:

 

"On my form I94, my "First (Given) Name" is listed as "JANE MARY" which is my legal First Name and legal Middle Name COMBINED. "Item 25" states I must "provide my name exactly as it appears on your I94", therefore I have listed my Given Name (First Name) as "JANE MARY" in "Item 25.b." and filled in "Item 25.c." as "N/A" as that is exactly how it appears on my I94."

 

15 minutes ago, Mr J said:

Sorry if I am not making much sense? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr J said:

I take it you are still awaiting confirmation if it was accepted that way on your I-485 form?

 

I know that you can go to a Port of Entry to get things changed on the I-94, I contacted the Border Control at the airport where they said I can go in with my paperwork and they even emailed me a form to fill out to change things if need be to save going in, that just takes longer. All the issue is that my first and middle name (which have a space between them and are separated) have been put in the 'First (Given) Name:' Line (there is no middle name option on the I-94, it just states first and last names, but my full name does appear at the top left corner of the I-94) so wondering if this is even an issue though? has anyone else have the issue of the correct name but just First and Middle name on the same line?

 

Sorry if I am not making much sense? 

 

My opinion is you are over thinking. Your greencard application name is on the first page. Your card will be issued in that name.

 

Then they ask other names used so you can fill in Skippy or any nickname or maiden name as appropriate. And finally as another identifier further down, the name exactly as found on I-94. You have no middle name on that. Don't put one. Don't get it corrected. They have tied your proper name together with all versions including the one I-94 generated from you passport scan. Nothing will get messed up with your greencard because of it.

 

Edit: yes that name run together happens on I-94. You are not unique in that.

 

Edited by Wuozopo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question 24 asks "What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your last arrival)? I'm guessing it hasn't? We were married well within the 90 days but that does not change your status, just wondered what others may have put? I'm guessing N/A would be the the obvious as my AOS is still pending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mr J said:

Question 24 asks "What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your last arrival)? I'm guessing it hasn't? We were married well within the 90 days but that does not change your status, just wondered what others may have put? I'm guessing N/A would be the the obvious as my AOS is still pending.

Your AOS is not pending. You haven't even applied yet. Once you apply and it is accepted, then it is pending a decision by USCIS.

 

What did you use to enter the US? That is your only status so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 3:06 PM, Wuozopo said:

Your AOS is not pending. You haven't even applied yet. Once you apply and it is accepted, then it is pending a decision by USCIS.

 

What did you use to enter the US? That is your only status so far.

I entered the US on a K1 fiance Visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×