MURandSi

Financial Support question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Is there a set amount of time that you have to be working at your current job before applying for the k-1 fiance visa?

Also, I have just returned from the UK. I am a US citizen by birth and fiance is a UK citizen by birth. I was in the UK for 6 months and traveled Europe for a month. So I will be starting my job on 12/13/2018 here in the states. That being said, when I go to file my taxes it is not going to show much of an income at all for when I do try to submit the application for my fiance to come join me. Is this going to be an issue?

I am trying to start this process but I am completely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, MURandSi said:

Is there a set amount of time that you have to be working at your current job before applying for the k-1 fiance visa?

Also, I have just returned from the UK. I am a US citizen by birth and fiance is a UK citizen by birth. I was in the UK for 6 months and traveled Europe for a month. So I will be starting my job on 12/13/2018 here in the states. That being said, when I go to file my taxes it is not going to show much of an income at all for when I do try to submit the application for my fiance to come join me. Is this going to be an issue?

I am trying to start this process but I am completely lost. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You have close to a year before financial information is presented.   You can petition now without any worries 

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, MURandSi said:

Each embassy has different vibes when it comes to the K1 affidavit of support and what they approve. It is a subjective decision and not written in law for this one. The one for the greencard (later after marriage) is very strict and specific to all.

For London K1 affidavit of support--

• No set time at job
  • The tax return doesn't not always reflect the current income because people get new jobs, raises, finish full time schooling, etc. The tax return does not have to show enough income if you can provide an employer letter at your interview stating your current job, income, etc. 
  • You do not need to present this financial support information until you walk into the interview in London  holding it in your hand. That could be a year from when you mail off the first part of the process...the I-129F petition to bring a fiancé to the US. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Each embassy has different vibes when it comes to the K1 affidavit of support and what they approve. It is a subjective decision and not written in law for this one. The one for the greencard (later after marriage) is very strict and specific to all.

For London K1 affidavit of support--

• No set time at job
  • The tax return doesn't not always reflect the current income because people get new jobs, raises, finish full time schooling, etc. The tax return does not have to show enough income if you can provide an employer letter at your interview stating your current job, income, etc. 
  • You do not need to present this financial support information until you walk into the interview in London  holding it in your hand. That could be a year from when you mail off the first part of the process...the I-129F petition to bring a fiancé to the US. 

So I would need to send all this information to my fiance in England so he can take it to his interview in London?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
2 hours ago, MURandSi said:

So I would need to send all this information to my fiance in England so he can take it to his interview in London?

Yes, but that comes at the end. It's a form I-134 Affidavit of Support with supporting documentation to prove your income. For London, it can be the most recent tax return, or an employer letter as the best two choices. Several months of your pay stubs will work or some recent ones have said just the last W2 was all they took from them. You will read in these forums a long list of required things including a year's worth of bank statements. Maybe at some interviews, but not London. They don't dwell on the income if it looks good and certainly don't require proving it 5 different ways.  

Basic parts of the K1 process as a preview: 

1. American Petitioner sends petition package to USCIS, (which is part Homeland Security) for approval. Lots of documentation goes with it. Long wait. 
  2. USCIS hands off to the National Visa Center (NVC) which is under the Dept of State. K1s do nothing but wait for them to assign a new case number and forward to embassy in London. No forms or paperwork.
  3. London part ater case file gets to Embassy : British beneficiary applies for the actual visa (online form), attends a medical exam in London, goes to an interview at the embassy with a stack of papers like birth certificate, divorce decree (if any), police certificate, passport, etc. Visa is stuck inside the passport and gets delivered to the Brit in 7-10 days if all goes smoothly and fiancé took everything needed to interview. If not, then it has to get sent in and so slows you down some while they get back to the case.

Work intensely on #1 first, then start learning/planning for #3 while you wait for #1 to get approved. Too much to comprehend initially, but you'll catch on in. Blows your mind at first look. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.