Mike E

Confused about how to schedule interview - Rangoon, Burma

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

After the handoff from USCIS to State, we received an email from the embassy:

When all the documents including the medical result are ready, please send the email to <redacted> with the attachment of DS-160 confirmation page. We will schedule the interview date at that time.

My fiancee received her sealed medical result and I emailed the embassy in Yangon, Myanmar with an image capture of the front of the result envelope and requested an interview appointment.

I received two replies

Your name is added in our waiting list and we will contact to you if there is any available slot.

Her name is added in her waiting list and we will contact to you once the visa gets ready.

The embassy says that for K1 visas, one is to email the embassy to get an interview slot.

It's been 7 days (and of course Thursday last week was an Embassy holiday -- Thanksgiving). I noticed that this embassy has an online interview scheduling system (which shows plenty of slots available in December). So I'm a bit confused about why there would be two procedures.

The second reply implies that they are actually preparing her visa, which is encouraging if true, but seems too good to be true.

So I am wondering if we should be using the online system to schedule an interview.

Timeline
On 11/27/2018 at 8:51 AM, Mike E said:

After the handoff from USCIS to State, we received an email from the embassy:

My fiancee received her sealed medical result and I emailed the embassy in Yangon, Myanmar with an image capture of the front of the result envelope and requested an interview appointment.

I received two replies

The embassy says that for K1 visas, one is to email the embassy to get an interview slot.

It's been 7 days (and of course Thursday last week was an Embassy holiday -- Thanksgiving). I noticed that this embassy has an online interview scheduling system (which shows plenty of slots available in December). So I'm a bit confused about why there would be two procedures.

The second reply implies that they are actually preparing her visa, which is encouraging if true, but seems too good to be true.

So I am wondering if we should be using the online system to schedule an interview.

All is well that ends well. Received the interview appointment email.   It is toward the end of next month.  Very surprised how little was in the check list to bring to the interview.  As in just one of five police reports she spent weeks and thousands of miles and dollars gathering.  😡

Edited by Mike E

• 3 months later...
Timeline
On 3/5/2019 at 3:38 PM, willxkris said:

Hey Mike, sorry to hear about your situation. How did the interview go? 

My fiancee's packet is now at NVC, and waiting for approval to have it transferred to Embassy in Yangon. 

My then fiancée had her interview on December 26, 2018. We entered the USA in January. Adjustment of status hasn’t been filed yet due to difficulties with translating documents from Burmese to English for USCIS.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 3/6/2019 at 4:52 PM, Mike E said:

My then fiancée had her interview on December 26, 2018. We entered the USA in January. Adjustment of status hasn’t been filed yet due to difficulties with translating documents from Burmese to English for USCIS.

Documents translated (what ordeal!), and AOS, EAD, and AP submitted.  

AOS NOA received, dated to a few days before her K-1 expired  (yesterday, April 8, 2019). Now she can safely travel within 100 miles of the USA border which is a big relief since we left on the west coast and that is a border.  

Edited by Mike E

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.