rmf7969

Fiance traveling to the U.S. after K1 process has begun

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

When my fiance visits me again in September of 2006 for 3 weeks, I am going to start the process of filing for the K1 visa. He plans to visit again at Christmas, but will he be able to enter the U.S. once the process has begun? He is in a position whereby his employer can write a letter of reference proving he is gainfully employed and will be returning to the U.K. and can also bring documentational evidence such as bank statements, mortgage, utility bills, etc. He normally travels here on a Visa waiver... will he still be allowed to do this once the process of the K1 visa has started?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, Once your K-1 process is recieved by USCIS your fiance' will not be allowed to use the Visa Waiver process. I suggest to wait until after he visits at Christmas before sending in your paperwork so he can get in with his Visa Waiver... I know from experience as my husband was barred from the US for 6 months after returning to Canada on his Visa Waiver after we had submitted the paperwork last year in 2005.

Not a fun experience......

He had documentation and everything of residency in Canada at the time, although he was not entering via the airlines, but I would hate to see your fiance' spend tons of money in airline tickets and get turned away.

In any case you will be allowed to leave the US to visist him anytime.....

Remember these rules are not set in stone so what happened to us may not happen to you, because it depends alot on the POE officers.

Good Luck.....

Moondancer

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
When my fiance visits me again in September of 2006 for 3 weeks, I am going to start the process of filing for the K1 visa. He plans to visit again at Christmas, but will he be able to enter the U.S. once the process has begun? He is in a position whereby his employer can write a letter of reference proving he is gainfully employed and will be returning to the U.K. and can also bring documentational evidence such as bank statements, mortgage, utility bills, etc. He normally travels here on a Visa waiver... will he still be allowed to do this once the process of the K1 visa has started?

He is still eligible to use the visa waiver program until the K-1 is issued, but he must be able to prove his plans to return to the UK and be able to convince the entry clearance officer of that. My husband (who was at the time my fiance) visited me three times during the process this way and had no problems until the third time, and then only because he had spent the full 90 days in the US each time. It sounds like your fiance will be okay, but remember that it is up to the officer and he does stand the chance of getting turned back. How likely it is, depends largely on the officer and how satisfactory the answers are.

I visited twice using VWP while K1 was in progress and had no problems. Like Gwen said entry is up to the discretion of the POE officer.

Good luck

Adele

> Texas have received out application and cashed the cheque!

We got our NOA1 as at 26 Oct 2005!

Sent to CSC 26 Oct 2005

NOA2 26 Jan 2006

Sent to Embassy 9 Feb 2006

Embassy sent pk3 21 feb 2006

Recd and return pk3 27 feb

Medical 8 March

recd pk4 11 April

Interview 10 May

Visa Approved 10 May

Visa Received 13 May

Fly to Memphis 21 june

Married 1 September

AOS NOA1 23 Jan 2007

Case transferred to Missourri

Case transferred back to CSC feb 01

Card in the mail March 05

Case approved March 005

Welcome to America Letters received March 08

Filed for lifting of conditions - received in Vermont Jan 20 2009

I-797C NOA received Jan 26 2009

Visit My Website

A Joy unshared is like and unlighted candle

I visited three times also when the k-1 was in progress. The last time between packet 3 and packet 4. If the VWP has not been abused and your fiance has a letter form employer (I had one but never was asked to show it) evidence that he intends to return, then this may help. But as the others have said it is at the POE discretion.

From what I have seen on here, previous stays in the 80+day timescale seem to generate more of a red light at POE than the K-1 application. But thats only my opinion!

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

rmf7969, would meeting (and "quality time") in Canada be a feasible alternative?

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Heh, when my then fiance and I started the K1 process, we had never even heard of VJ or other immigration websites. He sent the petition at the end of my trip in Aug 05 and I was back in the US for another 3-month visit in Oct that same year. In my "utter naivete" I didn't even consider I would face problems at the POE during my 2nd visit. And I was fine. I was unemployed that year and didn't have any solid proof of ties to my home country. I even brought a lot of luggage because I wanted to reduce the amount of stuff that would be shipped when it was time to move permanently.

Some have told me I didn't raise any flag because of the country I am from. Maybe, maybe not. Looking back, though, I think not knowing so much was a great bonus. LOL. :lol:

Edited by Ephesia

I traveled to US to be with my fiance for a few months while my K-1 was in process, had no problems at all. But sometimes people get troubles and get sent back to their countries. It really only depends on what kind of officer you meet at POE and how do they feel that day about letting you in :wacko:

Looking back, though, I think not knowing so much was a great bonus. LOL. :lol:

I agree lol When I travelled I had no idea of needing ties to home country just in case I was asked to prove such. I travelled on the VWP and waltzed through. Must admit it was my first and only time out of australia but damm I had a hell of a lot of luggage with me and travelling alone.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Looking back, though, I think not knowing so much was a great bonus. LOL. :lol:

I agree lol When I travelled I had no idea of needing ties to home country just in case I was asked to prove such. I travelled on the VWP and waltzed through. Must admit it was my first and only time out of australia but damm I had a hell of a lot of luggage with me and travelling alone.

Hahaha. I travelled on the VWP too. It never occurred to me that I was carrying way too much luggage for a mere 3-month visit. What's more, more than half the stuff in the luggage was not what one would typically pack for a vacation, e.g. photo albums, books, journals, etc. The people inspecting my luggage never even asked why I had so much stuff for a vacation.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you to all who replied to my post... My fiance and I have decided to wait until September to file the paperwork. Hopefully the visit during Christmas will go smoothly.

Thanks again, and good luck to all of you going through this with us.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.