ad8816

Experience with CoveredCalifornia/Medical & Kaiser Permanente for new immigrant

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone~ 

My husband is moving to the USA in 2.5 weeks (finally!!!) and I was hoping to get his health insurance started ASAP so he will be covered when he gets here. I have some questions about using Medical through Kaiser Permanente and was hoping someone on here had experience with this.

My husband is coming on an immigrant visa (CR-1 category) and I know with the affidavit of support, there are legal implications for becoming a "public charge" and using government services. However, I was hoping that healthcare and CoveredCa. is not considered being a public charge if he was to utilize that service. We surely will be accepted because of my income (I'm still at university and work part time), but I don't want to sign him up for anything if it will be violating what is in the affidavit of support. Final question is, will he need to physically be here to enter into a policy? Or can I get the policy set up for him in these days before he arrives? 

Thanks in advance! 

Edited by ad8816

Met for the first time: 7/2015 (Italy) 

Married: 12/20/2017 (California) :luv:

I-130 petition sent to AZ lockbox: 1/29/2018

I-130 received at AZ lockbox: 1/31/2018

Text/Email update: 2/6/2018 

• Texas Service Center 

NOA1 hard copy: 2/10/2018

• Receipt Date: 2/5/2018

I-130 APPROVED: 8/1/2018

Sent to US Dept. of State: 8/6/2018

Dept. of State Received: 8/15/2018

NVC Welcome Email: 9/4/2018 (around 20:30 California time)

• Paid IV and AOS Fees: 9/4/2018

Completed and Submitted AOS Documents: 9/14/2018

Submitted everything to NVC: 9/16/2018

NVC Case Completed: 10/2/2018 

• Received approval for all AOS and IV documents BUT had to rotate and re-upload husband's passport biographic info page: 9/20/2018

Interview: 11/13/2018 (Naples, Italy)

🇺🇸 APPROVED! 🇺🇸

Immigration day: 12/13/2018

• Point Of Entry: SFO

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline
16 minutes ago, ad8816 said:

I have some questions about using Medical through Kaiser Permanente and was hoping someone on here had experience with this.

Are you referring to him using Affordable Care Act premium tax credit? Just seeking clarification; I'll defer to more knowledgeable users. Also, this might help: https://www.healthcare.gov/immigrants/lawfully-present-immigrants/

Edited by TM92

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 

Filed: Timeline

You must earn $16,460 as a married couple to get an ACA subsidy for 2019.

FOR CALIFORNIA ONLY:  if you earn less than $16,460 you can only get Medi-Cal.

You CANNOT get onto Kaiser with Medi-Cal unless:

"If Kaiser Permanente Medi-Cal is available in your area and you meet one of the following criteria, you can choose Kaiser Permanente as your plan and/or provider:

Either have or had coverage with Kaiser Permanente in the last 6 to 12 months (coverage period depends on your county), OR if you have an immediate family member who is currently a Kaiser Permanente member." (For you, none would apply).

So unless you are already in Kaiser, and do not make enough for ACA, you WILL STILL qualify for California Medi-Cal. Most counties manage their Medi-Cal patients through a country-administered HMO.

https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/medicaid/medi-cal-california/how-to-apply

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.