Rem777

Aos after applying for asylum

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

I came to America on a tourist visa from India. I filed for asylum in which I have a case and it’s under going the process, but I met my girlfriend a few months after I filed that. We just got married so my question is do I need to file anything extra with my i485 form since I have applied for asylum?

Your case sounds a bit complicated. Tourist to Asylum , then greencard???  Why and when did you apply for asylum? The IO might think you are just doing all you can to actually stay in the States. 

You might need a good lawyer mate!  Regarding the I-485, you need to submit evidence of bonafide marriage. Also, i'd suggest that you write a letter that talks about your asylum case and provide documents that demonstrate you were qualified to claim asylum. 

Good luck lad! 

05/24 PD
06/18/18 Bio apt
06/26/18 Fingerprint review was completed
09/27/18 RFE for I-864
11/04/18 Sent response to RFE
11/06/18 RFE response was received
11/07/18 Courtesy letter for I-693
11/19/18 Case is ready to be scheduled for interveiw
11/20/18 Interview was scheduled

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Quoted from USCIS website:

Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:

• Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

He said he came here on tourist visa, and have a case for asylum. I'm crying laughing.

Timeline
On 11/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, hoangthaihuy said:

He said he came here on tourist visa, and have a case for asylum. I'm crying laughing.

On 11/19/2018 at 1:08 PM, hoangthaihuy said:

Yes I did and I do qualify for asylum. Things happen right 

Timeline
On 11/19/2018 at 9:39 AM, psgma said:

Your case sounds a bit complicated. Tourist to Asylum , then greencard???  Why and when did you apply for asylum? The IO might think you are just doing all you can to actually stay in the States. 

You might need a good lawyer mate!  Regarding the I-485, you need to submit evidence of bonafide marriage. Also, i'd suggest that you write a letter that talks about your asylum case and provide documents that demonstrate you were qualified to claim asylum. 

Good luck lad! 

Thanks for your help I didn’t plan on falling in love and getting married so yes I totally understand that it looks fishy to them. I have an attorney but I thought I’d try here first 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Definitely one for a Lawyer, and seems one to hand so not sure what can be added.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.