Chris Duffy

US Citizen getting Philippines Drivers License

6 posts in this topic

I went to the LTO couple weeks ago in Davao City. Got Xerox copy of my Passport Bio page, and a copy of my Texas Driver license, cost 2 pesos each.

Filled out the forms, paid 300 pesos for the medical test which they test your blood pressure.

Waited for a little while I was at window 5 already, they needed to see a copy of entry stamp, had to pay another 2 peso and they made a copy.

Then the process hit the wall.  You need to have either a permanent entry stamp, or similar.  Since my stamp was only good for 30 days I was shot down.

I will go back in April and take my wife and get the BB one year entry and get my Philippines Drivers License, that way if I get Western Union or check into a hotel I can use that instead.  Plus then I can drive in Philippines and then I don't need to carry my US Driver license.

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

I went to the LTO couple weeks ago in Davao City. Got Xerox copy of my Passport Bio page, and a copy of my Texas Driver license, cost 2 pesos each.

Filled out the forms, paid 300 pesos for the medical test which they test your blood pressure.

Waited for a little while I was at window 5 already, they needed to see a copy of entry stamp, had to pay another 2 peso and they made a copy.

Then the process hit the wall.  You need to have either a permanent entry stamp, or similar.  Since my stamp was only good for 30 days I was shot down.

I will go back in April and take my wife and get the BB one year entry and get my Philippines Drivers License, that way if I get Western Union or check into a hotel I can use that instead.  Plus then I can drive in Philippines and then I don't need to carry my US Driver license.

Yup.   BB stamp won't quite get it done for you either.    You will need an ACR card.  

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/alien-registration/voluntary-application-for-acr-i-card

Probably take them a year or more to print the actual DL ... :lol:  

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

1 minute ago, Hank_ said:

Yup.   BB stamp won't quite get it done for you either.    You will need an ACR card.  

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/services/alien-registration/voluntary-application-for-acr-i-card

Probably take them a year or more to print the actual DL ... :lol:  

Actually it will get it done.

My nephew just moved to Davao City almost 3 months ago, He only has the BB stamp and doesn't have a ACR card as of yet.

He got his Philippines Driver license already, they gave him the paper DL the day he applied with his picture on it, and a few weeks later he got his Plastic DL.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Actually it will get it done.

My nephew just moved to Davao City almost 3 months ago, He only has the BB stamp and doesn't have a ACR card as of yet.

He got his Philippines Driver license already, they gave him the paper DL the day he applied with his picture on it, and a few weeks later he got his Plastic DL.

Really!  They aren't so friendly in Manila, I was told I need the ACR card.     That is one of the problems in the Phils each person, even in the same office has a different procedure .. :lol:

I had read that they had new printers for the DL, but that they only printed a limited number of DL daily.   So I figured things would  still be wait in line and don't hold your breath.    

Supposedly the backlog of license plates will be fixed now also as they have setup a local factory for production.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

42 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Really!  They aren't so friendly in Manila, I was told I need the ACR card.     That is one of the problems in the Phils each person, even in the same office has a different procedure .. :lol:

I had read that they had new printers for the DL, but that they only printed a limited number of DL daily.   So I figured things would  still be wait in line and don't hold your breath.    

Supposedly the backlog of license plates will be fixed now also as they have setup a local factory for production.

Yea, I took him with me. I was wearing a wife beater T-Shirt (Sleeveless) and they wouldn't let you enter wearing those,  so I used his shirt and he went in to start the process.  He went directly across the street to buy a t-shirt so he could enter with me.

The sticking point with them was my 30 day entry fee, they said I needed one showing up to a year. I said ok, I Shall Return.

Edited by Chris Duffy

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Chris Duffy said:

Yea, I took him with me. I was wearing a wife beater T-Shirt (Sleeveless) and they wouldn't let you enter wearing those,  so I used his shirt and he went in to start the process.  He went directly across the street to buy a t-shirt so he could enter with me.

The sticking point with them was my 30 day entry fee, they said I needed one showing up to a year. I said ok, I Shall Return.

Good to know.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.