Pepe Galleta

Question about translating Skype Chat Logs?

25 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

first of all thanks so much for all your help. hopefully this is my last question for some time :)

so here is the thing.

- my i129f form is completed as expected

- divorce documentation, travel documents are there,  pictures, etc

- all the required official documentation is in english

however, my fiancee is from Brazil and she is not fluent (yet) in english. I am fluent in portuguese and spanish (and hopefully english :) )

i did translate using an online translator our chat logs, from portuguese to english.

having said that, do you think it's good enough to send the online translation of this? also if so, do i need to fill up my information as i am the translator?

to be honest i dont think so because the information being in other language is actually only chat logs, but i dont want to get a RFE or have problems

did someone run into a similar situation where the SO wasnt (yet) fluent in english and wanted to share proof of ongoing relationship?

any feedback is appreciated, thanks so much!

jose 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Pepe Galleta said:

Hello everyone,

first of all thanks so much for all your help. hopefully this is my last question for some time :)

so here is the thing.

however, my fiancee is from Brazil and she is not fluent (yet) in english. I am fluent in portuguese and spanish (and hopefully english :) )

i did translate using an online translator our chat logs, from portuguese to english.

having said that, do you think it's good enough to send the online translation of this? also if so, do i need to fill up my information as i am the translator?

to be honest i dont think so because the information being in other language is actually only chat logs, but i dont want to get a RFE or have problems

did someone run into a similar situation where the SO wasnt (yet) fluent in english and wanted to share proof of ongoing relationship?

jose 

You're good to go with the online translator

DISCLAIMER: I'm not working with USCIS/NVC and never work with them. All my comment based on my own experience and what I read. 

"When you have a fight with your partner, remember that it is not you against your partner but it is both of you against the problem" :) 

I-129F Sent : 2017-05-12

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2:

2017-06-17

2017-11-29 (Date on hard copy) / 2017-11-30 (Date USCIS Website/Online Tracker App)

NVC Received Date:                 2018-01-16

NVC Case No. assigned:         2018-01-16

NVC Left:                                    2018-01-20

Consulate Received:                2018-01-22

Packet 3 Received:                   2018-01-27

Packet 3 Sent:                           2018-01-27

Interview Date:                          2018-03-08

Visa Received:                          2018-03-13

US Entry:                                    2018-03-19

SSN Application:                      2018-04-03

SSN Received:                          2018-05-02

Marriage:                                   2018-05-05

Marriage Certificate

Received:                                   2018-05-15

Change name in SSN:             2018-06-04

AOS, AP & EAD submitted:    2018-07-06

NOA 1 (email):                          2018-07-10

NOA 1 (mail):                            2018-07-16

Biometric app:                          2018-08-09

EAD & AP Received:                2018-xx-xx

AOS Interview:                          2018-09-24 
Approval/Denied:                      Approved 

Green Card Received:             2018-09-29

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, Pepe Galleta said:

Hello everyone,

so here is the thing.

jose 

Chats are not required for the petition 

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

Chats are not required for the petition 

thank you , i know but i dont have emails and phonecalls, i dont call her on the phone we use skype all the time so i thought that would be at least something i can add in there, also as it is not a legal document i didnt think it was needed to be "officially " translated, but i wnated to validate

thanks again!!

30 minutes ago, Perfect two 💑 said:

You're good to go with the online translator

thanks so much for the quick response!! i really appreciate it

Timeline
Just now, Pepe Galleta said:

thank you , i know but i dont have emails and phonecalls, i dont call her on the phone we use skype all the time so i thought that would be at least something i can add in there, also as it is not a legal document i didnt think it was needed to be "officially " translated, but i wnated to validate

thanks again!!

thanks so much for the quick response!! i really appreciate it

None of that is required for the petition.   That type of evidence is presented at time of interview 

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hello! I sent logs of my now-husband's facebook chats with me. I did not translate it. You do NOT need to. Proof that you chat is enough - they don't need to see the content of your messages if they are not in English. 

I-751

29 Oct 2018      Application Sent

31 Oct 2018      Application Received 

5 Nov 2018       Text confirmation 

6 Nov 2018       Check Cashed

1 Dec 2018       Biometrics Appointment Notice

6 Dec 2018       NOA1 Date

10 Dec 2018     Biometrics Appointment - Syracuse, NY

11 Dec 2018     NOA1 Received

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Carley said:

Hello! I sent logs of my now-husband's facebook chats with me. I did not translate it. You do NOT need to. Proof that you chat is enough - they don't need to see the content of your messages if they are not in English. 

Actually they were ignored.  Anything provided to the uscis must be in English or accompanied by a translation.   Your experience is proof that chats are not required for a petition to be approved 

YMMV

Timeline

Actually they were ignored.  Anything provided to the uscis must be in English or accompanied by a translation.   Your experience is proof that chats are not required for a petition to be approved 

Haha, I guess we'll never know. Like I said, it is not the content that matters but rather seeing regular interaction as they would in any relationship. I doubt they would look at the specific details of what you are chatting about even if you translated it into English. :) 

I-751

they should be more specific on what type of topics we are supposed to be sending (or not) because the guidelines are vague, to say the least. we are always on the spot, if we send it because we sent it, if we didnt.."how did you forget to send it?"

anyway i sent basic logs, just for them to see, they will probably be destroyed, or whatever, but i dont want to risk a RFE.

i saw this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bzoWOXOCsvHICvLEZt540eG2CkqEFaPV8MY18Q6E0f0/edit?fbclid=IwAR0PIvlqjWh0seEibf8gs1N_8MFpyzirMMtaZVqTl0fgYJmyz3pSI0aMbgw#gid=2061710905 and i see only a single reference to chat in there. 

in any case, I have logs for the interview anyway.

thanks so much everyone, i really appreciate everybody's help

/PepeG

Timeline
Just now, Carley said:

Haha, I guess we'll never know. Like I said, it is not the content that matters but rather seeing regular interaction as they would in any relationship. I doubt they would look at the specific details of what you are chatting about even if you translated it into English. :) 

But that is not a requirement for the petition approval,  not what the uscis determines, they determine eligibility.   I sent zero of that stuff for my approved petition.

YMMV

Timeline
Just now, Pepe Galleta said:

they should be more specific on what type of topics we are supposed to be sending (or not) because the guidelines are vague, to say the least. we are always on the spot, if we send it because we sent it, if we didnt.."how did you forget to send it?"

anyway i sent basic logs, just for them to see, they will probably be destroyed, or whatever, but i dont want to risk a RFE.

i saw this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bzoWOXOCsvHICvLEZt540eG2CkqEFaPV8MY18Q6E0f0/edit?fbclid=IwAR0PIvlqjWh0seEibf8gs1N_8MFpyzirMMtaZVqTl0fgYJmyz3pSI0aMbgw#gid=2061710905 and i see only a single reference to chat in there. 

/PepeG

totally my attitude as well... better to send too much than not enough! it hasn't let me down yet! best of luck :) 

I-751

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Pepe Galleta said:

/PepeG

Explain to me where in the instructions to the form it says to include proof of ongoing relationship?

YMMV

Timeline
1 minute ago, Carley said:

totally my attitude as well... better to send too much than not enough! it hasn't let me down yet! best of luck :) 

Many years ago there was a former uscis adjudicator who was going through the I-129f process.   He commented a lot about petition evidence.  What is required and what is ignored 

YMMV

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Explain to me where in the instructions to the form it says to include proof of ongoing relationship?

in here:

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

i see this

What Evidence Must You Submit? You must submit all evidence requested in these Instructions with your petition. If you fail to submit required evidence, USCIS may reject or deny your petition for failure to submit requested evidence or supporting documents in accordance with 8 CFR part 103.2(b)(1) and these Instructions. Submit the primary evidence listed below to support your petition. If a primary evidence document is not available, you must submit a statement from the appropriate civil authority certifying that the primary evidence is not available. You must then submit secondary evidence such as church or school records, baptismal certificates, U.S. census records, or other evidence to support your claim. If you can establish that secondary evidence is not available, you may submit two or more sworn affidavits by persons who are not parties to your petition, who were living at the time of the event, and who have direct personal knowledge of the event.

while i agree with you, it will be always tricky. if you look up online, you get totally different perspectives on the topics

i guess as it was mentioned above, we will never know :) thanks so much

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.