Jump to content

Travel - Changed Passport

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife and I were married in her home country of the Philippines, and she immigrated here on a CR-1 visa this past January.  Since then, we've been to the Philippine embassy in D.C. and had her name changed.  She's received her new passport along with her old passport--with her visa.  The old passport has two holes punched in it.  My understanding was that we could wait until we apply to have the conditions removed from her visa to get her greencard updated.  However, since that's about around 15 months from now, we're wondering if she can still travel home and return with her documents in their current state.  Does anyone know if we need to get her visa and/or greencard updated, before she can travel home to the Philippines and return to the States?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does she not have her Green Card?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pcpro178 said:

and return to the States?

This is common; she should travel with all documents that verify that both her passport and Green Card are hers. Even CBP addresses this, https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1209/~/us-citizens%2Flawful-permanent-residents-name-does-not-match-documents:


LPR's who change their name due to marriage or because of any other circumstance may travel using your LPR Card (US Green Card; I551) in your prior name provided you bring proof of your name progression such as; a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change.

Your Input Is Appreciated On This VJ Guide Proposal: 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.