Zindagweetu

F2 for Indian Citizen newly married to Canadian on F1 Student Visa

3 posts in this topic

I am finding navigating this situation confusing and would love if anyone has deeper knowledge or experience to offer. I am a Canadian Citizen by birth studying to become a Doctor in the US. Over the past 3 years I have been living in India, and two weeks ago on my trimester break I flew back to India to marry my Fiance (now husband). He is an Indian citizen, with limited travel history, runs his own business in India, and so is not looking to move here with me but would like to visit at times when I am on school break (two weeks in December, three weeks in June), rather than me always having to fly back to India to see him. I have already contacted my school to have them prepare an I-20 for him, and we have almost fully completed the DS-160 (but we need the Sevis ID for him). What else should we know or keep in mind? What will we have to show for available funds and how (as I'm under the impression that they will treat it like he wants to move here with me for the duration of my studies which is another 3 years). What is the best way to prove in an interview that neither he nor I intend to stay in the US - (we plan on living half the year in canada and half year in india and me having a practice in both)? Are there any paths that make this easier as the spouse of a Canadian (since we have reciprocal agreements), are there any sneaky snags we should keep our eye out for? Has anyone been in a comparable situation? How did it go?

41 minutes ago, Zindagweetu said:

What will we have to show for available funds and how (as I'm under the impression that they will treat it like he wants to move here with me for the duration of my studies which is another 3 years). 

Well, this is the actual purpose of an F2 so if you apply for an F2 then yes, they will treat it like that. Off hand it seems to me like he should be applying for a B2 rather than an F2 visa if his intention is just to visit you for a couple of weeks at a time a couple of times a year.

13 hours ago, Zindagweetu said:

I am finding navigating this situation confusing and would love if anyone has deeper knowledge or experience to offer. I am a Canadian Citizen by birth studying to become a Doctor in the US. Over the past 3 years I have been living in India, and two weeks ago on my trimester break I flew back to India to marry my Fiance (now husband). He is an Indian citizen, with limited travel history, runs his own business in India, and so is not looking to move here with me but would like to visit at times when I am on school break (two weeks in December, three weeks in June), rather than me always having to fly back to India to see him. I have already contacted my school to have them prepare an I-20 for him, and we have almost fully completed the DS-160 (but we need the Sevis ID for him). What else should we know or keep in mind? What will we have to show for available funds and how (as I'm under the impression that they will treat it like he wants to move here with me for the duration of my studies which is another 3 years). What is the best way to prove in an interview that neither he nor I intend to stay in the US - (we plan on living half the year in canada and half year in india and me having a practice in both)? Are there any paths that make this easier as the spouse of a Canadian (since we have reciprocal agreements), are there any sneaky snags we should keep our eye out for? Has anyone been in a comparable situation? How did it go?

B2 visit visa 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.