taco2

PROPOSED RESTRICTIONS FOR PARENTS

34 posts in this topic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it from the anti-illegals or the pro-illegals, so it may have a pretty good chance of passing.

It may be that people who already have applications in the system for types of family immigration that will become redundant will be grandfathered in, i.e. they'll continue to process those but may not accept new ones. This is just a guess.

I think right now it's too early to say when it will pass, IF it will pass, and what the overall effects will be. Right now it's just a proposal.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

This is more than a proposal. The bill will be introduced on Monday and the Senator Reid has said he wants a final vote by next Friday.

There is a cap of 40,000 on parents, which never existed before. This means the introduction of a waiting list for parents. In other categories that have quotas, there is a wait of 5 - 30 years. Whenever you are in that waiting list, you are barred from visiting because the assumption is that you will not return because you have "immigrant intent". Things are even worse for brothers and sisters.

When this was just a proposal, I spoke out against it:

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/News/D...mp;pageId=3.2.1

Now is another opportunity to speak out, but time is running out. Please contact me if you will be affected, and I can help connect you to the press. Personal stories are extremely important. My contact information is on our web site:

http://americanfamiliesunited.org

Edited by Randall Emery

This is more than a proposal. The bill will be introduced on Monday and the Senator Reid has said he wants a final vote by next Friday.

That's not a guarantee it will pass in its current form, though.

Yes, if we act, there is a chance to change it.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

This is absolutely terrible. If this bill passes, some of us may have real problems getting our parents here, especially if they are unskilled. Instead of solving one immigration problem, they are creating so many more! We must do something about it. If our parents are going to be barred from visiting as well, thats simply disaster!

I am going to see if I can contact Sen. Kennedy's office.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the information Randall Emery.

My brother was thinking of sponsoring our mother by end 2007, when he beomes a USC.

Do you think if the bill passes, the laws will be changed by then?

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

There is a cap of 40,000 on parents, which never existed before. This means the introduction of a waiting list for parents. In other categories that have quotas, there is a wait of 5 - 30 years. Whenever you are in that waiting list, you are barred from visiting because the assumption is that you will not return because you have "immigrant intent". Things are even worse for brothers and sisters.

Where are you getting this information?

I think the bill in question is S.1348. Is that correct?

The bill text can read by accessing http://thomas.loc.gov/

The paragraph in the bill that amends INA 201(b ) relating to immediate relatives is Section 504 of the bill, entitled, "RELIEF FOR MINOR CHILDREN AND WIDOWS." However, I don't see anything more than some restructuring of 201(b ) and additional provisions for expanding benefits to windows as immediate relatives. I also don't see any major changes removing categories from the family visa preference system either (see section 503 of the bill).

Where is this 40,000 annual cap you speak of? Is some Senator planning to offer than as an amendment on Monday?

On the other hand, the bill does a lot of things, such as allowing the filing for adjustment of status before a visa number is available upon payment of a supplement fee, authorizing the passport card proposed last year by Dept. of State, and granting survivor benefits to grandparents.

I don't think the rumor is true in the present form of the bill, but it still might be a good idea to remind representatives that Immediate Relatives don't deserve to be limited visas in exchange for legalizing illegal entrants, a corrupt bargain if so by all measures.

Edited by Chris Parker

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

S.1348 is not the bill. The bill is not out on thomas yet -- it will probably be out on Monday or Tuesday. The 40,000 cap on parents is there.

My understanding of the bill with regards to brothers and sisters is that it will apply retroactively and if you did not file before May, 2005, you will never have the opportunity to do so. They are planning to clear the backlog of anybody who applied prior to that within 8 years, and for everybody else, you will not have the option.

And yes, this is a disaster of a bill. Now you know where the so called "anti-illegal immigration" groups really stand. Your in-laws are "chain immigrants" and your children are "anchor babies."

People are already being interviewed by the NY Times and the Associated Press. Again, please get in touch if you want to speak out on this. It is not that easy to get this kind of press coverage, and if you pass it up, you might not get a second chance.

My contact information is on our web site:

http://americanfamiliesunited.org

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Thanks for the information Randall Emery.

My brother was thinking of sponsoring our mother by end 2007, when he beomes a USC.

Do you think if the bill passes, the laws will be changed by then?

Hi Chris,

Almost every news website I've checked says that one of the clauses in the bill indicates a cap for parents, siblings and adult children of US citizens. It also uses a point system which puts higher weight on English proficiency and superior skills (more points) as compared to less-skilled people. I just sent off a letter Ted Kennedy's office this morning about the bill asking them to not let the bill pass in the current form. I think others who are concerned should contact their senators and representatives too.

c_mat

c_mat

Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline
S.1348 is not the bill. The bill is not out on thomas yet -- it will probably be out on Monday or Tuesday. The 40,000 cap on parents is there.

Knowing full well that any senator or representative can offer an amendment in the nature of a substitute, as well as introduce a new bill, my wife and I are writing our 3 representatives protesting and suggesting the creation of a K5 nonimmigrant category for parents of U.S. citizens if prevailing winds succeed nevertheless.

I'll look at your organization's website too.

IR-5 Immediate relative parent of adult U.S. citizen, §201(b)

I-130 [100 Days] (+10 days transiting)

03/30/07 Naturalization oath

03/30/07 I-130 sent to VSC priority mail

04/09/07 NOA "Received Date"

05/08/07 NOA1 issued by CSC, rcvd 05/11/07

07/18/07 I-130 approved!

07/23/07 NOA2 received

NVC [73 Days] (+23 days transiting) ** using James' NVC Shortcuts 2.0 **

08/10/07 NVC received, case number MOS*** assigned

08/20/07 DS-3032 & I-864 fee bill generated

08/23/07 DS-3032 delivered to NVC

08/23/07 I-864 payt delivered to St. Louis

08/27/07 IV fee bill generated

08/28/07 I-864 payt processed

09/03/07 I-864 package generated

09/08/07 IV fee bill received & payt sent

09/11/07 IV payt delivered to St. Louis

09/13/07 I-864 entered onto case

09/17/07 IV payt processed

09/24/07 DS-230 generated

09/25/07 I-864 RFE issued

10/01/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 delivered to NVC

10/04/07 I-864 RFE & DS-230 entered onto case

10/22/07 Case complete at NVC!

12/10/07 NVC schedules the interview, finally!

12/17/07 Case left NVC

Embassy (Moscow)

12/20/07 Medical exam

01/10/08 Interview APPROVED!

01/15/08 Visa rcvd!

01/26/08 Entered USA

02/04/08 SSN card rcvd (from DS-230 appl./EAE)

02/16,21,25/08 OS155A msg. from TSC

02/28/08 PR card rcvd!

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Knowing full well that any senator or representative can offer an amendment in the nature of a substitute, as well as introduce a new bill, my wife and I are writing our 3 representatives protesting and suggesting the creation of a K5 nonimmigrant category for parents of U.S. citizens if prevailing winds succeed nevertheless.

I have already written to my 2 senators about my concerns on this bill.

I have already written to my 2 senators about my concerns on this bill.

Good! We had a lot of press coverage today that will come out over the weekend. We need to make a lot of noise on this issue. Over the weekend, we will have talking points up on our website and we will also have a petition.

Is this something we should be worried about once my wife becomes a US citizen in 2008 she will no longer be able to petition her parents?

Citizenship

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

CIS Office : San Francisco CA

Date Filed : 2008-06-11

NOA Date : 2008-06-18

Bio. Appt. : 2008-07-08

Citizenship Interview

USCIS San Francisco Field Office

Wednesday, September 10,2008

Time 2:35PM

Is this something we should be worried about once my wife becomes a US citizen in 2008 she will no longer be able to petition her parents?

She would still be able to petition her parents, but the bill would introduce a cap of about 1/4 of the people who apply being allowed in each year -- so there would likely be at least a three year wait by 2008. Bottom line: yes, you should be worried.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.