Emeolu

Evidence for Online N400

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I am almost done with filing out my N400 application. I have been married to my spouse for over 7 years and have been a permanent resident for almost 6 years. My spouse has been married before with 3 children. I have no children with him. I noticed that one of the evidences required was the birth certificate of my children. I know they meant the step children. Am I suppose to provide the birth certificates of my step children even though they are not staying with me and my spouse?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
12 hours ago, Emeolu said:

I am almost done with filing out my N400 application. I have been married to my spouse for over 7 years and have been a permanent resident for almost 6 years. My spouse has been married before with 3 children. I have no children with him. I noticed that one of the evidences required was the birth certificate of my children. I know they meant the step children. Am I suppose to provide the birth certificates of my step children even though they are not staying with me and my spouse?

Part 11 of the application form states:

"Indicate your total number of children. (You must indicate ALL children, including: children who are alive, missing, or deceased; children born in the United States or in other countries; children under 18 years of age or older; children who are currently married or unmarried; children living with you or elsewhere; current stepchildren; legally adopted children; and children born when you were not married.)".

IMHO, since you are required to include them as your children, I suggest you provide their birth certificates too to be on the safe side.  Better err on the side of caution and have them at the interview instead of omitting said certificates and you are asked for them at the interview and not have them.

AOS from F1

11/13/2014: Concurrent filing of forms I-130, I-485, and I-765 at Chicago Lockbox

11/18/2014: NOA 1

12/11/2014: Biometric Appointment

01/16/2015: NOA 2

02/27/2015: Employment Authorization Card Received

02/27/2015: Interview

03/09/2015: Green Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.