Lg2018

Recent Aos interview experiences

4 posts in this topic

Experiences vary heavily based on individual  circumstances and local field office.

In my case, we interviewed on the 17th of this month in Philadelphia. Here's my review that I provided to somebody else...very YMMV:

=====

We arrived 15 minutes early and went into the interview door. We passed through security first...no metal, no shoes, no watches, etc. allowed on you, but I told them about my opened orange juice in a bag and the officer was fine with it. Just no eating/drinking allowed inside. They also check the appointment notice letter before the metal detectors, so have that ready.

Then is the front desk, who verified our appointment and told us to go to the 2nd floor. 1st floors looks to be for InfoPass appointments.

Upstairs was just  large waiting room half full of people waiting to be called. There are 4 doors where they call your name...we had a "2" written on our paper by the front desk person, so we sat near door #2. We waited until about ~5-10 min after our appointment time before the IO opened a door and called my wife's name.

The IO we had was a very nice woman...maybe 35-45 years old? She said she reviewed out case already and invited us into her office (there's like 6 offices behind each of the 4 doors in the waiting room). She asked us to stand and then we did the oath to tell the truth. Then she asked my wife how we met, which we said online via the OK Cupid website. Then she went over the I-485 to verify her name, address (we moved, so she updated it), # of marriages, where she was born, and a few other items on it. Then she went page by page asking a few of the questions from the I485 (i.e. are you a spy? Have you ever murdered somebody? etc...all directly from the I-485).

Then she said that's all she had and asked us if we had any questions before she approves us. :) I asked about the address in the system to make sure she gets the green card at the new address, which she verified was already updated in her computer system. I also asked if her existing AP was valid to use for a trip next month, and she said that's fine to use even if the I-485 is approved before her return.

Overall, we were in and out in like 5 minutes and we were smiling with her and such the whole time. We had a mountain of papers to show (new home's title, trips we made, etc.) but she didn't ask for them and I wasn't going to volunteer them when she said we were approved already. I can take "yes" for an answer. haha My wife was happy but a little annoyed and disappointed since we had so much to show and it wasn't needed.

She said the green card should arrive in about 3 weeks. Not sure if that's true, but I wasn't going to say anything. haha

Update: The card was shipped today.

Then we spent the rest of the day seeing Philadelphia (since we live ~2.5h-3h away).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

12 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Experiences vary heavily based on individual  circumstances and local field office.

In my case, we interviewed on the 17th of this month in Philadelphia. Here's my review that I provided to somebody else...very YMMV:

=====

We arrived 15 minutes early and went into the interview door. We passed through security first...no metal, no shoes, no watches, etc. allowed on you, but I told them about my opened orange juice in a bag and the officer was fine with it. Just no eating/drinking allowed inside. They also check the appointment notice letter before the metal detectors, so have that ready.

Then is the front desk, who verified our appointment and told us to go to the 2nd floor. 1st floors looks to be for InfoPass appointments.

Upstairs was just  large waiting room half full of people waiting to be called. There are 4 doors where they call your name...we had a "2" written on our paper by the front desk person, so we sat near door #2. We waited until about ~5-10 min after our appointment time before the IO opened a door and called my wife's name.

The IO we had was a very nice woman...maybe 35-45 years old? She said she reviewed out case already and invited us into her office (there's like 6 offices behind each of the 4 doors in the waiting room). She asked us to stand and then we did the oath to tell the truth. Then she asked my wife how we met, which we said online via the OK Cupid website. Then she went over the I-485 to verify her name, address (we moved, so she updated it), # of marriages, where she was born, and a few other items on it. Then she went page by page asking a few of the questions from the I485 (i.e. are you a spy? Have you ever murdered somebody? etc...all directly from the I-485).

Then she said that's all she had and asked us if we had any questions before she approves us. :) I asked about the address in the system to make sure she gets the green card at the new address, which she verified was already updated in her computer system. I also asked if her existing AP was valid to use for a trip next month, and she said that's fine to use even if the I-485 is approved before her return.

Overall, we were in and out in like 5 minutes and we were smiling with her and such the whole time. We had a mountain of papers to show (new home's title, trips we made, etc.) but she didn't ask for them and I wasn't going to volunteer them when she said we were approved already. I can take "yes" for an answer. haha My wife was happy but a little annoyed and disappointed since we had so much to show and it wasn't needed.

She said the green card should arrive in about 3 weeks. Not sure if that's true, but I wasn't going to say anything. haha

Update: The card was shipped today.

Then we spent the rest of the day seeing Philadelphia (since we live ~2.5h-3h away).

Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.