DktrFaustus

Knightsbridge Medical Exam (review/report).

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Good morning all,

Before I get into my own experience, I'd just like to extend a massive thanks to @chlosicles and @LeesaMarie, who were an immense help and provided plenty of support to me during a stressful period. I'm indebted to your kindness and openness, so please accept my deepest thanks. Also to the rest of you on this forum who have provided advice and insight, it has been extremely helpful and comforting.

Okay, so let's get on with the show...

My exam was Saturday 13th October. The night before I had stayed in a little place in Bermondsey, which was a very short journey to Bond Street tube station and ideally located for me. If you do arrive at Bond Street tube station, the doctors' is more or less a straight walk down a couple of narrow streets. Make sure you use your navigator/Google Maps if you're walking, because there are one or two streets that are so narrow and inconsequential looking that it is easy to miss them. But as long as you give yourself plenty of time, you'll be just fine finding it.

As is my habit, I arrived much earlier than my 9.10am appointment. I'd much rather be an hour early than one minute late (something I inherited from my father) so I decamped to a place called The Ivy (not sure if it was *the* Ivy but it certainly looked posh enough) and had a couple of pots of tea and a final read/check through all of my documents. I was too nervous to eat so I didn't force it.

Around 9am I head to the doctors' office. Once you're buzzed in, their office is the first door on your right. I went in and found myself at reception. The receptionist was helpful and approachable, and she took my documents, did her necessary bits with them before handing me a receptacle for my urine sample and another medical questionnaire to fill in. You have the entire time/appointment to provide a urine sample, so don't worry about being rushed or needing it for a certain time. 

I filled in the questionnaire (a little more in-depth than the one you get from online, but much the same topics and questions) and had about 10 cups of water to get the motor running for my sample. When I had finished the paperwork, I handed it to the receptionist and shortly after (I was the only non-staff member in there for a while) I was ushered through to speak to Theresa, the nurse. She was very friendly and we went through my vaccination record and was asked a few basic questions. 

After that I was sent back to the waiting room, where a couple of people had since gathered. After another very short while I was summoned by the radiologist, who was a lovely chap who I *think* was called Phil. He put me at ease with his manner, asked me how far I'd travelled, and we talked about road closures and the like. I took off my shirt and had my very first X-ray (I've been very fortunate with my health/wellbeing for the most part), which was over before I knew it. We had a look at what came up on the screen and he said that there appeared to be absolutely nothing of concern to bring up or discuss, so just like that I was back in the waiting room.

Ah, and now the wait for perhaps the most important part of the whole trip. I was nervous, of course. Turns out I really, really didn't need to be. I was seen by Dr Fong, who was calm, methodical and easy to communicate with.

Having had a history of depression, I was worried about my past coming back to haunt me and f**k the process up, but having spent a long time and a lot of stress and energy having the necessary reports/letters/documentation, the entire examination/consultation was an absolute breeze. She simply went through my answers on the medical questionnaire I had filled out on the day, before going on to ask me more regarding depression/anxiety. In my case, she asked about the circumstances that led to my diagnosis. I answered thoroughly and correctly. She asked a couple more questions relating to the supporting evidence I had brought. All in all, I took the following:

- Patient summary (the very brief one that lists any and all active/past problems).

- Vaccination history.

- List of prescriptions and dates they were administered (I was on anti-depressants for six years, so it was a lot easier to just have that list to hand with all dates).

- A letter from my GP confirming my history with depression, my treatment and progress, and a note saying I had responded well to treatment, was no longer in receipt of medication and was of no harm/danger to myself or others.

- A letter/report from the counselling service I attended from 2014 to 2016. I happened upon this by chance when my GP and I were trawling through my files. If you've attended any sort of counselling, make sure you get this too.

Dr Fong asked me about smoking, drinking, any prior drug use and other notable medical problems I may have had. We then performed a series of basic tests: reflexes, eye chart reading, pressing of stomach and checking of lymph nodes, and while I don't actually recall having my height and weight checked, I know I answered it more or less accurately on my questionnaire, so perhaps that saved the doctor doing it again. Then I had my blood drawn. I HATE needles and honestly, this was the worst part of the day for me!

After all of that, I finally gave my sample (my bladder really wasn't co-operating that day) and after getting my passport back from the receptionist and being told that if I didn't hear anything back in five working days regarding my blood/urine, everything is good to go, I left. I felt a little surreal having gone through all of that in whirlwind after building myself up for it so much, but it's an important day and process, so don't worry about how you feel about it. Just make sure you have the right documentation, answer questions honestly and be there on time. That really is the best advice to give. All told I was in an out within an hour. I had a quick lunch and then went to catch the Megabus back up North.

I hope this is of help/comfort to those of you waiting for your own medicals. I think I covered everything. I will happily answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability. Now my Embassy interview is on October 30th. After you receive NOA2 things move *really* fast. I plan/hope to be in Indiana before Thanksgiving (November 22nd).

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have a history of depression and anxiety which is noted on my summary. I didn’t take any medication and I have a note from my GP to say I’m not at risk of harming myself etc. I have my medical on the 7th Nov. Good luck on the rest of your journey 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

you are most welcome! I'm so glad you had everything you needed on the day 😊

I-129F Submitted: 01 November 2017NOA1 Received: 03 November 2017NOA2 Received: 22 May 2018 | NVC Received: 08 June 2018 | Consulate Received: 06 July 2018 | Medical: 27 July 2018 | Interview: 10 August 2018 (APPROVED) | VISA in Hand: 22 August 2018 | POE: 28 September 2018 :joy:

Days between NOA1 until VISA in hand: 292

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.