Sambar

New passport after applying for AOS - K1

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

Looking at the time it takes to complete AOS my passport will of expired. My plan was to get a new passport in my new name.

Will it matter if I have a different passport number to what I fill out on the form? Or do I just need to take both of them to the interview? 

Thank you :) 

13 minutes ago, Sambar said:

Hi,

Looking at the time it takes to complete AOS my passport will of expired. My plan was to get a new passport in my new name.

Will it matter if I have a different passport number to what I fill out on the form? Or do I just need to take both of them to the interview? 

My understanding is that now that were are done the Visa stages of the process. The foreign passport is merely a recognized document that we use to identify ourselves with. USCIS has given us an Alien Number now so really, the passport isnt useful anymore to them. Of course they will ask for it as an identifying document but I dont think renewing your passport is a bad thing. In fact it should be done if you change your surname upon marrying. You are on the right track though by thinking to bring both of them to the interview so don't forget to request your old passport back if yours is a country that collects them when applying for a new one. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
41 minutes ago, Sambar said:

Hi,

Hi.

I had the same situation - K-1 visa in old passport and a new passport under married name before my AOS got approved. No problem , at all 

Just in case, I sent copies of new and old passports when it was time to submit the next application - if I recall correctly, it was EAD re-newal.

Did the same with ROC submission, but I don't think it was necessary -  the  "Travel history" on my I-94 indicates all my arrivals/departures, regardless which passport was used.

So, no worries - if it's time to re-new the passport and you have that possibility, go for it, it won't effect your immigration journey :)

Edited by Ksenia_O

Timeline
22 hours ago, K1visaHopeful said:

My understanding is that now that were are done the Visa stages of the process. The foreign passport is merely a recognized document that we use to identify ourselves with. USCIS has given us an Alien Number now so really, the passport isnt useful anymore to them. Of course they will ask for it as an identifying document but I dont think renewing your passport is a bad thing. In fact it should be done if you change your surname upon marrying. You are on the right track though by thinking to bring both of them to the interview so don't forget to request your old passport back if yours is a country that collects them when applying for a new one. 

Yes that is a good point, I assumed they would send the old passport back, but I had better request it just incase. Thank you for you help. 

Timeline
22 hours ago, Ksenia_O said:

Hi.

I had the same situation - K-1 visa in old passport and a new passport under married name before my AOS got approved. No problem , at all 

Just in case, I sent copies of new and old passports when it was time to submit the next application - if I recall correctly, it was EAD re-newal.

Did the same with ROC submission, but I don't think it was necessary -  the  "Travel history" on my I-94 indicates all my arrivals/departures, regardless which passport was used.

So, no worries - if it's time to re-new the passport and you have that possibility, go for it, it won't effect your immigration journey :)

Thank you for sharing your experience. That's an even bigger relief that you've been there and tested it! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.