chlosicles

Knightsbridge Medical Review

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I thought I would write up a review of KnightsbridgeVisa Medicals whilst it's still fresh in my head.
I went there today having had the appointment booked for over a month. I got my case number from the NVC early September and figured that the case probably wouldn't get sent out to the London Embassy till the end of that month so I booked it for the middle of October hoping that everything would be set up by then. Luckily it was. My interview is set for 30th October.

Here's a brief summary of my medical history:-
I suffered with a depressive and anxiety mood disorder from 2010-2014. I was also diagnosed with a personality disorder at this time.
I had a blackout in 2010.
I've also had two operations – tonsillectomy and left thyroid removal.

Here's the paperwork I took with me:-
Email print out from Knightsbridge Visa Medicals
The questionnaire they ask you to fill out
Vaccination records – for me this was a mixture of patient record print outs and an old vaccination card.
Passport and 1 copy
ACRO police report and 1 copy
4 Passport photos
GP patient medical summary – for me, this listed my past problems as being my current problems, but this didn't seem to be an issue?
Because of above I took print outs from my patient record that shows the last time I was prescribed certain medications.
I also took print outs that were about my depressive and anxiety mood disorder that showed how I was doing throughout the entire diagnoses, print outs from the mental health team I saw and anything that I felt was relevant to it.
On top of that I took even more print outs of my records that were about why I got my left thyroid removed and why I had a blackout.

I thoroughly over prepared myself.

I arrived 20 minutes early and they told me to stay in the waiting room until 10 minutes before my appointment time. They called me over eventually and I handed over all the paperwork that they ask for in the email (passport, ACRO certificate, photo, questionnaire, vaccination records and patient summary). She then got me to fill out another form which was very similar to the questionnaire they supply you with, but slightly more in depth. Filled that out and handed it back to them. Got a pee pot (joy oh joy!).

I wasn't waiting for long and then I got called in for my chest x-ray. I'm not sure about the men – but women are supplied with a robe and you can get undressed behind a curtain. You get to keep the robe for when you see the doctor. The chest x-ray is instant and you get to see it on the screen too – it's pretty neat, I loved it. The radiologist said my chest was text book example and I have nothing to worry about. I got dressed and then he sent me to the room next door where the nurse would meet me and just go over my vaccination record. The nurse came and just double checked what vaccinations I had been given and when I had my flu jab. She told me that I've had everything that is needed and I would need to keep the form for AOS. I went back to the waiting room and after a couple minutes the doctor called me in.

I'm not sure if it works like this all the time, but they had a male and female doctor and they were only calling in patients of the same gender.

I went in to the doctors room and was prepped to fight my case that I was a sane, healthy person. Turns out all the stuff I printed off didn't even need to be looked at. She asked me briefly what operations I had and why. Not a problem. She didn't mention the blackout at all. She moved straight onto the depression and anxiety disorder. She told me that they want to hear a story as to why I had it and how long and how I am feeling now. We went through that and she told me that she needs to see a letter from the doctor explaining all of this and that “I am not at risk of harming myself or other people”. I didn't have that at the time – the letter was actually being written by my doctor at the same time and I picked it up after I got back from the medical.

Continuing on, she weighed me, measured my height and then got me to read from a chart to test my eyes – I think I need to see an optician because I wasn't the best at that, but she didn't have a problem with it.

She asked me to undress to my underwear behind the curtain and gave me the option of putting the robe on which I accepted. Yes, you have to take your socks off too. She just did some general tests – looked in eyes, ears and throat. Moved my limbs around, tested my reflexes and felt my stomach too; she also drew some blood. That was it. I was all good to go. She told me that as soon as I get the letter from my doctor just to scan it through and I'll be set.

You have the entire time you're there to pee in the pot. It gets put in a bag with your blood sample, so you're not in a rush if you're terrible at peeing in a pot like I am.
You pay at the end of the entire process and they give you the vaccination record that you will need for AOS do not lose this.
They keep your passport at the very beginning and give it back to you at the very end.
It takes 5 days for your blood work and pee to come back and only then do they send the results off to the embassy.
The whole staff there are really lovely, don't be afraid to ask any questions.
They can take copies of everything you give them and give you back the originals.

My appointment was at 11:30am. I left the building at 12:30pm.

If anyone has any questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Edited by chlosicles

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Just now, brandonflude1 said:

You mention 4 passport photos. Are these UK size or US size?

They accept both sizes, I went with UK in the end just because it was cheaper and easier for me :P

K1 JOURNEY.
I-129F sent:
31st Jan 2018 | NOA1 Received: 13th Feb 2018 | NOA2 Received: 15th Aug 2018 | At NVC: 4th Sep 2018 | At Embassy: 21st Sep 2018 | Medical: 15th Oct 2018 | Interview: 30th Oct 2018 | K1 Issued: 2nd Nov 2018 | Flight to him<3: 4th Dec 2018 | Wedding<3: 21st Jan 2019

AOS JOURNEY.
AOS sent: 26th Feb 2019 | NOA1 Received: 28th Feb 2019 | Biometrics: 27th March 2019 | EAD/AP: 29th July 2019 | GC Interview: 16th Oct 2019 | GC Approved: 17th Oct 2019 GC Received: 23rd Oct 2019

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

That's a very thorough write up. Thank you. It is clear you have some good logic in your preparation for ways to show a stranger your meds and treatments. Alas, they really do want the "magic words" in writing from a doctor. I think that is simply a CYA situation so they, on their own,  don't clear a mental case for immigration who goes on to become a mass murderer. They have another medical doctor's opinion and signature as well. 

Concerning this:

1 hour ago, chlosicles said:

You pay at the end of the entire process and they give you the vaccination record that you will need for AOS do not lose this. 

The nice folks at Knightsbridge don't fully comprehend AOS. The original Vaccination record is in your immigration file, so that photocopy you can send with AOS is mostly a reminder to those that open the mail that you have had shots so don't crank out an RFE immediately. That doesn't happen so much anymore because AOS is taking so long. The USCIS now tells you that AOS medical info (if anything more is needed) can be submitted  closer to the AOS interview. 

You can use the photocopy to show a civil surgeon (if you need one) what shots you've had. Or you can show a civil surgeon your print out from your GP,  a slip from Boots, and a slip from an American shot place.   If you get shots at Knightsbridge, then you need that DS-3025 photocopy as the record of the shots they gave. Many K1s don't need a civil surgeon because they got all shots signed off on the Knightsbridge form and that original record in in the immigration file. 

I agree, don't lose anything from immigration, but that photocopy is not on the list of requirements with an AOS application. USCIS receives their own copy when you turn in that white envelope at POE. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.