audaud

My AOS Checklist.. Am I missing anything?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. My husband came with a K1 Visa, and we are preparing to send our Adjustment of Status package early next week. I've read several guides and forum posts, but just want to triple check that I've done it correctly, and have included everything. (He is from UK)

------Cover Letter 

------Form G-1145   E- Notification

----- Form I-485 (Main AOS form)

> Include the following behind the completed form: Copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; NOA2 From our K1 Visa; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record, My husband's birth certificate, A copy of a certified copy marriage license, two (2) passport photos, DS-3025 vaccination documentation from his medical exam from London; I-864 affidavit of support from myself and co-sponsor

---- Form I-765 (Employment Authorization)

> Includes the following behind the completed form: Two (2) passport photos, copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record

---- Form I-131 (Advance Parole Travel Document)

> Includes the followoing behind the completed form: Two (2) passport photos, copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record

Is this everything? My husband and I have signed the cover letter page and he has signed all the documents he needed to. I know we don't have the $1225 check/payment.  We have not included it in the packet yet, which is why I didn't include it on the list, but it is listed on our cover letter and we know we need it! :)  However, if I am missing anything else, or anything seems wrong, please let me know. I appreciate everyones time & thank you for your responses.

35 minutes ago, audaud said:

Hello everyone. My husband came with a K1 Visa, and we are preparing to send our Adjustment of Status package early next week. I've read several guides and forum posts, but just want to triple check that I've done it correctly, and have included everything. (He is from UK)

------Cover Letter 

------Form G-1145   E- Notification

----- Form I-485 (Main AOS form)

> Include the following behind the completed form: Copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; NOA2 From our K1 Visa; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record, My husband's birth certificate, A copy of a certified copy marriage license, two (2) passport photos, DS-3025 vaccination documentation from his medical exam from London; I-864 affidavit of support from myself and co-sponsor

+Divorce decrees if applicable.

+Certified copies of police records and court records if the applicant has ANY criminal record at all.

+I864 supporting financial documents of the sponsor plus US Birth Certificate.

+I864 supporting financial documents of the cosponsor plus US Birth Certificate.

---- Form I-765 (Employment Authorization)

> Includes the following behind the completed form: Two (2) passport photos, copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record

+Copy of Certified copy of Marriage Certificate.

---- Form I-131 (Advance Parole Travel Document)

> Includes the followoing behind the completed form: Two (2) passport photos, copy of passport biographical page, entry stamps and K1 Visa Page; I-94 Arrival and Departure Record

+Copy of Certified copy of marriage certificate

Is this everything? My husband and I have signed the cover letter page and he has signed all the documents he needed to. I know we don't have the $1225 check/payment.  We have not included it in the packet yet, which is why I didn't include it on the list, but it is listed on our cover letter and we know we need it! :) However, if I am missing anything else, or anything seems wrong, please let me know. I appreciate everyones time & thank you for your responses.

USCIS is (or was 5 years ago) pretty lenient on the co-mingling of finances stuff (that you will need for ROC) because you are just starting your lives together. However, I would include whatever you do have so far (joint bank accounts, any life insurance and/or annuities/401K plans showing each other as beneficiaries;  joint credit cards, leases--anything at this point that shows you live together as a couple). Like I said, it probably won't be much yet, so anything is good--and start filing this stuff away now so you won't be scrambling in 2 years. It might sounds strange at your point in your marriage, but a simple will and medical power of attorney are easy and cheap to set up. These documents are great for USCIS and better for life. Good luck!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

2 hours ago, Stevephoto said:

USCIS is (or was 5 years ago) pretty lenient on the co-mingling of finances stuff (that you will need for ROC) because you are just starting your lives together. However, I would include whatever you do have so far (joint bank accounts, any life insurance and/or annuities/401K plans showing each other as beneficiaries;  joint credit cards, leases--anything at this point that shows you live together as a couple). Like I said, it probably won't be much yet, so anything is good--and start filing this stuff away now so you won't be scrambling in 2 years. It might sounds strange at your point in your marriage, but a simple will and medical power of attorney are easy and cheap to set up. These documents are great for USCIS and better for life. Good luck!

Thank you for the tips. Is any of this needed for the actual AOS package though? I haven read if anyone including it 

5 hours ago, audaud said:

Thank you for the tips. Is any of this needed for the actual AOS package though? I haven read if anyone including it 

Required...DEFINITELY NOT. 

9 hours ago, audaud said:

Things may have changed in five years and as noted, you won't have much of this to send. But, send what you have and start collecting for ROC. We did not have much to send (I think we had bank account information and perhaps my life insurance policy), but we did bring more to the interview (we were asked if we had any additional information to submit). The consular commented that what we brought was very good and would be needed for ROC. I would not sweat it if you don't have anything yet, but my advice stands: send whatever you can and definitely start collecting ROC documents now.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

32 minutes ago, Stevephoto said:

Things may have changed in five years and as noted, you won't have much of this to send. But, send what you have and start collecting for ROC. We did not have much to send (I think we had bank account information and perhaps my life insurance policy), but we did bring more to the interview (we were asked if we had any additional information to submit). The consular commented that what we brought was very good and would be needed for ROC. I would not sweat it if you don't have anything yet, but my advice stands: send whatever you can and definitely start collecting ROC documents now.

I am looking through my records for clarification. I know that we had at lease a joint bank account because it was initially in each of our surnames and Joan was under my health insurance at work. Neither of these documents are listed on our AOS cover letter, but I know we had them. We definitely brought them and others to the interview a few months later and as mentioned, they were well received. Are these "required" for AOS? No, but they help. We personally tried to front load the applications as best we could at each step of the process and we never had any issues. Just my two cents. Best of luck to you.  I wish you smooth sailing.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.