KaeAlexandria

I mailed Montreal my passport... where does it go?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright, so I have a weird question that I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on.

I recently completed AP for a medical they wanted redone at the Montreal Consulate. It was only 4 weeks from mailing in the new medical to them asking me to send them my passport so they could stamp it and I was approved! Yay! At my interview they had insisted I take my passport rather than leaving it in case I wanted to visit my fiance, as we travel back and forth frequently.

The way it was explained to me when I sent my new medical was that it goes into a giant room into a stack with all the other supporting documents for all the visas that need to be processed and gets seen on a first come first serve basis. Thankfully for us, that was only a month.

My question is this: The consulate usually says they return your passport within 10 business days with the visa, but that is when you LEAVE it there at the interview. They received my passport this past Monday 10/01. Does my envelope with my passport in it go into that same room as my medial did, and sit for another 4 weeks before being pulled out of the stack and looked at? Or will my passport go directly to be stamped and returned within 10 business days? Basically I'm trying to figure out if I'm looking at a ~ 5 week wait or ~10 business day wait.

Any insight is much appreciated, thank you!

Capture.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most of the time when you send things in it takes about 8 weeks. I would not expect 10 days but hope for the best. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

i don't think anyone would know that. They don't exactly tell you that stuff. Your medical also only needed to be matched up to your file.

They may not have reviewed it yet. Nor do they have to issue anything at that point either.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

I got an e-mail telling me my medical has been accepted and to please send in my passport, which from reading here seems to universally mean they would like to stamp it and send you your visa.

Capture.JPG

Timeline

Yes I understand that. I've been through that myself and it took 6 weeks to get my passports back. What I'm saying is just because some clicked send on an email does not mean they reviewed everything. They will review everything one last time before getting that stamp. 

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

The passport goes with the rest of the mail.  Where else would it go?!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Update: Today my visa was issued! :) It's being mailed and should be here by Friday. I'm so excited!

I also thinks that was correct in my thinking earlier. To clear up what I meant: I was trying to see if the barcode that you print to mail in your documents would direct my passport to production (where they stamp it and print the visa) rather than to the document review room (where it sits in a pile waiting for someone to review it) since my passport had already been checked at my interview and didn't need "review". This gives a lot more insight to what that little barcode on the front might be doing, which is great!

Thanks for your answers, I appreciate ya'll taking the time :)

Capture.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 10/4/2018 at 8:07 PM, KaeAlexandria said:

At my interview they had insisted I take my passport rather than leaving it in case I wanted to visit my fiance, as we travel back and forth frequently.

Can you confirm that then that it is indeed an option to take your passport after the interview and send it back in?

We are running into the problem that my wife is waiting on a new drivers license and won't have ID to board her plane home. Extending the wait time for the Visa would suck but better than being stranded! 

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

Can you confirm that then that it is indeed an option to take your passport after the interview and send it back in?

We are running into the problem that my wife is waiting on a new drivers license and won't have ID to board her plane home. Extending the wait time for the Visa would suck but better than being stranded! 

Yes you can request for the passport 

Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
12 hours ago, Courtney86 said:

Generally if you're put in AP, your passport is returned but probably you can ask for the passport and request them that you'll send it later. They should be able to accept it 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.