darth vader

Canadian August+September 2018 Case Complete To Interview For Spousal Visa Filers Thread

711 posts in this topic

55 minutes ago, Alyssamac90 said:

Congrats!! And thanks so much for sharing all this info. Can I ask whereabouts your husband lives and what’s method of passport delivery he chose? Keep us updated as to when it arrives, please! :) thanks again!

We live in Ontario and paid extra for the courier. We didn’t choose home delivery, just selected a Canada Post nearby. Will definitely keep you updated. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Loois said:

We live in Ontario and paid extra for the courier. We didn’t choose home delivery, just selected a Canada Post nearby. Will definitely keep you updated. 

I thought the extra payment was only if you wanted it to be delivered to your home? Hmm can anyone else comment on this?

5 hours ago, BChance said:

Thank you for all this!! It really helps calm the nerves. Basically they want to see stuff you already submitted to double check their records.... Congrats again and hope you get your passport back quickly. Did you pay for home delivery?

We think (purely speculation) that the consulate must have had a pretty good idea on whether they wanted to accept us or not well before we went in for the interview. We also read elsewhere that prior to the interview stage, the government runs very thorough background and possibly social media checks on people beforehand, so they may very well know tons about you before.

For us, the interview stage seemed like just like you said, to double check their own records and check off some of the last few boxes. I'm sure they can ask for whatever extra documents they want over and above what someone originally submits to the NVC. Luckily seemed not to be the case for us. I'm hesitant to say this will be the same experience for everyone, since it sounds like it could be hit or miss depending on each applicant's circumstances.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Loois said:

We think (purely speculation) that the consulate must have had a pretty good idea on whether they wanted to accept us or not well before we went in for the interview. We also read elsewhere that prior to the interview stage, the government runs very thorough background and possibly social media checks on people beforehand, so they may very well know tons about you before.

For us, the interview stage seemed like just like you said, to double check their own records and check off some of the last few boxes. I'm sure they can ask for whatever extra documents they want over and above what someone originally submits to the NVC. Luckily seemed not to be the case for us. I'm hesitant to say this will be the same experience for everyone, since it sounds like it could be hit or miss depending on each applicant's circumstances.

You’re probably right. One thing I did learn though, is I never submitted an intent to domicile with my husband, so I’m going to write up a letter and have him sign it. Just in case. We are already living together, but can’t hurt.

8 hours ago, BChance said:

You’re probably right. One thing I did learn though, is I never submitted an intent to domicile with my husband, so I’m going to write up a letter and have him sign it. Just in case. We are already living together, but can’t hurt.

If your husband is the USC living with you in Canada (i.e. has not not yet established domicile in the US), have him sign and date something like the following:

”I, (full name), intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States of America no later than my wife, BChance, upon her successful receipt of an immigrant visa”.

It also might be useful to read through the “Proving domicile when not living in the US” thread:

For us, the single page declaration of intent to domicile seemed to be enough, but it seems like possibly not for others. I’m not sure why that is.

Timeline
13 hours ago, Loois said:

If your husband is the USC living with you in Canada (i.e. has not not yet established domicile in the US), have him sign and date something like the following:

”I, (full name), intend in good faith to re-establish my domicile in the United States of America no later than my wife, BChance, upon her successful receipt of an immigrant visa”.

It also might be useful to read through the “Proving domicile when not living in the US” thread:

For us, the single page declaration of intent to domicile seemed to be enough, but it seems like possibly not for others. I’m not sure why that is.

13 hours ago, Loois said:

Thanks. I looked through my mountains of paperwork and I already have a similar letter to this!!! Ugh, it’s driving me crazy the anticipation!!! Lol Every little thing makes me worry...

Timeline
On 12/15/2018 at 11:23 AM, Loois said:

apologies - I just asked my husband again and he said he did choose home delivery in the end. My bad.

Just wondering if you have received  tracking number yet and if you know where your passport is currently.

Just wanted to share my experience on what happens, and when, after getting "welcome to US" slip. 

Dec 13th –consular interview in Montreal – Approved. 

Dec 13th – Status on CEAC changed that day to "Issued," but remarks below "Issued" mention that case was undergoing "necessary administrative processing... " and "and if the case is approved... " etc.  So the messaging is confusing.  

Dec 18th – Status on CEAC still states "issued" but the comments below state visa in "final processing" and tells me if I don't receive it within 5 days, to go to a site for my tracking waybill.  The link to the site does not work though.

I am guessing I'll get my passport and visa by Thursday, Dec 20th.  I'll update my progress. 

Sending good vibes to all still going through this – it is so hard.  I actually went off VisaJourney for the week before my interview because I was reading a lot and freaking out about what might go wrong.  I recommend that strategy as a way to get head out of the weeds and reset emotionally before the actual interview. 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, MC1 said:

Just wanted to share my experience on what happens, and when, after getting "welcome to US" slip. 

Dec 13th –consular interview in Montreal – Approved. 

Dec 13th – Status on CEAC changed that day to "Issued," but remarks below "Issued" mention that case was undergoing "necessary administrative processing... " and "and if the case is approved... " etc.  So the messaging is confusing.  

Dec 18th – Status on CEAC still states "issued" but the comments below state visa in "final processing" and tells me if I don't receive it within 5 days, to go to a site for my tracking waybill.  The link to the site does not work though.

I am guessing I'll get my passport and visa by Thursday, Dec 20th.  I'll update my progress. 

Sending good vibes to all still going through this – it is so hard.  I actually went off VisaJourney for the week before my interview because I was reading a lot and freaking out about what might go wrong.  I recommend that strategy as a way to get head out of the weeds and reset emotionally before the actual interview. 

Thank you and good advice about resetting. I’m freaking out and I have 3 more weeks to wait...

3 hours ago, Alyssamac90 said:

Just wondering if you have received  tracking number yet and if you know where your passport is currently.

We have not yet received our tracking number, so I'm guessing that means our passport has not yet been sent out? 😕 We're still hoping for it by the end of the week, but not too sure - will let you know!

1 hour ago, BChance said:

Thank you and good advice about resetting. I’m freaking out and I have 3 more weeks to wait...

We freaked out so much before too! Definitely normal. One thing that really hit home to us after the whole ordeal is just that it sounds like everyone's experience can be super different, so try not to worry/stress about other people's problems on VJ potentially being your own. All we could do was hope for the best, plan for the worst. Being over prepared also helps ease nerves! Best of luck - sending good vibes :)

Timeline

Quick question for folks who have had their interview scheduled. We received an email with the subject, "Immigrant Visa Interview Appointment". Is this the letter you presented at your medical appointment and the consulate, or did you also receive a physical letter that you took to the interview?

Thanks.

Timeline

Update:  Husband and I received an email on December 17, 2018 setting our interview date for January 14, 2018.  Timeline updated.

Happy Holidays to all,

Invisigoth

July 2016 - Started Dating

December 17, 2017 - Engaged

January 13, 2018 - Married Canadian Spouse (L)

January 18, 208 - Received Marriage Certificate

January 27, 2018 - Mailed I130

January 31, 2018 - USPS Confirms Delivery of I130 (NOA1)

February 6, 2018 - Text and Email Confirmation - Routed to Texas Service Center

February 10, 2018 - NOA1 Received in the Mail

August 3, 2018 - Petition Approved (NOA2)

August 8, 2018 - NOA2 Received in the Mail

August 14, 2018 - Case sent to Dept. of State (per my USC account at https://my.uscis.gov)

August 22, 2018 - Case received by NVC (per my 9-10 Phone call)

September 13, 2018 - Email from NVC: Notice of Immigrant Visa Case Creation

September 17, 2018 - Paid fees at https://ceac.state.gov/IV

September 23, 2018 - Filed DS261

October 7, 2018 - Submitted Civil Documents

October 17, 2018 - Case Completed at NVC  (per emails and NVC account)

December 17, 2018 - Email Notification that Interview Date is set

January 14, 2019 - Interview Complete

Timeline
21 hours ago, dunky said:

Quick question for folks who have had their interview scheduled. We received an email with the subject, "Immigrant Visa Interview Appointment". Is this the letter you presented at your medical appointment and the consulate, or did you also receive a physical letter that you took to the interview?

Thanks.

Yes it is the one you print out and bring to your medical. 

CR-1 Visa
Texas Service Center
Montreal, Canada Consulate
Canadian Beneficiary/US Petitioner

Married: Nov 15, 2017
NOA1/PD Date: Jan 5, 2018
I-130 Approved: July 6, 2018 (6 months wait)
NVC Received Case: July 18, 2018 (12 days wait)
Received Case Number: August 10, 2018 (23 days wait)
Paid AOS & IV Bill: August 10, 2018
Was marked "PAID" August 15, 2018 at the CEAC site. (3 business days wait)

Filled out DS-261 & Supporting Docs: Tuesday August 21 2018

Uploaded AOS Forms & Supporting Docs: Friday August 24 2018

Case Complete: September 13, 2018

Appointment Date Email: November 9, 2018

Appointment Date: December 21, 2018

Visa Approved: December 21, 2018

Picked up Visa from Post Office: December 31, 2018

Received SSN: January 4th, 2019

Received GC in Mail: March 24, 2019

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.