NihonJim

I-134 questions before mailing it off

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Good morning VJ!

My fiance and I are finally in the last stages of getting her K1 fiance visa.  Last week she got the letter from the embassy, and she's submitted the DS160.  This week she'll be scheduling her medical check, criminal check, and her interview.  I should be putting my I-134 in the mail either Monday or Tuesday, but have a couple questions before I send it.  Thanks in advance for any clarification you can give me on these items!

Part 1, question 12- date of residence

This one's tricky.  Well, not really, but for me it kind of is.  I've been at my address for 15+ years.  For a bit over two and a half of that, I was living overseas (where I met my fiance).  I've been back at home since July of last year, so I currently have that as my date of residence.  However, while overseas I was working on a US military base, so I was technically still a resident of my state, not of the other country.  Which date do I use- the one from when I moved into this house, or the date that I moved back from overseas?

Part 2, questions 9a-17 (beneficiary's spouse and children)

My fiance doesn't have any children, and obviously doesn't have a spouse.  Do I leave this completely blank, or do I need to put NA in the Family Name (Last Name) box?  I've seen people doing both, so I figure either way is ok, just trying to figure out which one is 'more' ok.

Part 3- Income and Asset Information (3-9d)

I make well over the 125% poverty line, and have almost an entire year's salary in cash in the bank.  From what I've read, I just need to send evidence from my bank and employer (have those already) and I'm good to go.  Will that be sufficient, or should I include any other assets (house, car)?  If I need to include my house, will a yearly tax assessment from my county suffice for proof of value?  Will it cause confusion having my father as a co-owner?

Part 3- Dependents' Information (10a-21)

I have no dependents.  Leave this blank, or put NA in the Family Name (Last Name) box?

Part 3, questions 26a-37 (previously filed visa petitions)

For 26a-29, I know that I must put my fiance's information in here.  Since I have not submitted a petition other than hers, do I need to put None in the Family Name boxes for the other spots (box 30a, 34a)?

Thanks again!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

you know when in the military they consider your address to be the US address and all your mail comes thru by a military route

your US address stays the same 

only need 100% for K1

and you don't need to include assests (I didn't) if income meets requrements

instuctions are not clear but leave blank or put none in first spot to name children

some put N/A but most say none is the best way to handle that issue

best to you in your journey

Timeline
2 hours ago, kris&me said:

you know when in the military they consider your address to be the US address and all your mail comes thru by a military route

your US address stays the same 

-PAXP-deijE.gifThat's the tricky thing- I'm not military.  I was there as a contractor, but still held the same visa status as the military (SOFA-Status of Forces Agreement).  So while I was in the country legally, I was completely outside of it's immigration system due to working at the base. 

I'm wondering if at her visa interview they'll question how we were able to meet if I've resided here in the states for the last fifteen years.  Maybe I'll send her two copies of the I-134, one with each date on it.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline
5 hours ago, NihonJim said:
-PAXP-deijE.gifThat's the tricky thing- I'm not military.  I was there as a contractor, but still held the same visa status as the military (SOFA-Status of Forces Agreement).  So while I was in the country legally, I was completely outside of it's immigration system due to working at the base. 

I'm wondering if at her visa interview they'll question how we were able to meet if I've resided here in the states for the last fifteen years.  Maybe I'll send her two copies of the I-134, one with each date on it.....

I've resided here all my life but i do travel and met my husband when traveling to spend time with the family of a former exchange student

anyone can travel and meet people

Timeline

Ok, one last question before I send it off!

Supporting financial evidence-

Per the embassy's instructions.....

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit:

• Copies of his or her latest federal income tax return
  • Statement from his/her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment
  • Statement from an officer of a bank regarding his/her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance
  • Any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his/her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time

My salary is well over the poverty level, and I have a ton of savings in the bank.  I have letters from my employer and my banks to prove it.

Do I need to submit last year's tax return as well?  The embassy says that it can be used as evidence, but it's not mandatory.  However, I've seen so many people say that it is required.  Has anybody gotten their fiance visa without sending in tax returns?  I don't have a huge problem doing it, I just need to figure out where I stashed all that paperwork.

Thanks again for the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.