ZKT

name on my i94 is different from K1 (split)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi guys!

i entered the us on sept 6, 2018 on a k1 visa. i checked my i94 status online and i got it/my record the day after i arrived. the thing is, i keep checking my SAVE program status online on their website and up till now whether i check my i94 and enter my i94 record number or i do my passport and enter my passport number, it keeps showing that "no cases found that match that criteria". so it's been 2 weeks since i have literally arrived and up until now my name is not in the SAVE program yet. I was trying to wait for my record to show on the SAVE program to apply for an SSN before i get married, but unfortunately with everyone else in both my husband and my family's schedule we had to get married last sunday sept 16, 2018. so now i have to get my SSN after marriage. we might even have our marriage certificate by this friday already. I emailed the SAVE program and they said i had to contact the other office and that the SAVE Program doesn't deal with uploading cases to the system.

what should i do?

1. should i go to the SSA with my passport, birth certificate and i94 and hope they find me in the SAVE program?

2. continue to wait for me to be verified in the SAVE program before I apply for an SSN?

3. Start calling the CBP about my record on the SAVE program?

4. other suggestions? thanks!

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

EAD:
Sent: 11 - 20 - 2018   ||   Received: 11 - 23 - 2018   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 03 - 2018   ||  

AP:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
6 hours ago, ZKT said:

hi guys!

i entered the us on sept 6, 2018 on a k1 visa. i checked my i94 status online and i got it/my record the day after i arrived. the thing is, i keep checking my SAVE program status online on their website and up till now whether i check my i94 and enter my i94 record number or i do my passport and enter my passport number, it keeps showing that "no cases found that match that criteria". so it's been 2 weeks since i have literally arrived and up until now my name is not in the SAVE program yet. I was trying to wait for my record to show on the SAVE program to apply for an SSN before i get married, but unfortunately with everyone else in both my husband and my family's schedule we had to get married last sunday sept 16, 2018. so now i have to get my SSN after marriage. we might even have our marriage certificate by this friday already. I emailed the SAVE program and they said i had to contact the other office and that the SAVE Program doesn't deal with uploading cases to the system.

what should i do?

1. should i go to the SSA with my passport, birth certificate and i94 and hope they find me in the SAVE program?

2. continue to wait for me to be verified in the SAVE program before I apply for an SSN?

3. Start calling the CBP about my record on the SAVE program?

4. other suggestions? thanks!

I would really do number 3 but I remember we got married went down to the SS office after marriage and applied for her card which she received about two weeks later.

12/20/2014 Sent I-129F to Texas Lockbox

12/22/2014 Signed by Lockbox Staff

12/24/2014 Text and Emailed that it was received by TSC

12/29/2014 Got Hardcopy of NOA 1 in mail.

01/26/2015 Got Hardcopy of NOA 2 in mail

02/05/2015 Called NVC had a case number given to me.

02/18/2015 Case sent to Thailand Embassy.

Timeline
On 9/20/2018 at 9:35 PM, NinaJimTeaghan said:

I would really do number 3 but I remember we got married went down to the SS office after marriage and applied for her card which she received about two weeks later.

hi there!

i got m marriage license today. then i dropped by the ssa to get my ssn even if i had my marriage license, they still told me to get it in my maiden name. which was ok, but then unfortunately i wasn't on the save program even being after 2 weeks already. and they said i had a name mismatch cause my i94 says katrina and in my passport it's katrina marie even if it's the sae passport number and birthday. oh well. guess i'm gonna wait some more.

K1 Visa:
Sent: 12 - 20 - 2017   ||   Received: 12 - 21 - 2017   ||   NOA 1: 12 - 26 - 2017   ||   NOA 2: 07 - 1 - 18   ||  NVC Received: 08 - 02 - 2018 

||  NVC Assigned MNC: 08 - 07 - 2018  ||   USEM Received: 08 - 09 -2018   ||  Interview Date: 08 - 20 - 2018   ||  Visa on Hand: 08 - 24 - 2018   ||  CFO Seminar: 08 - 31 - 2018    ||  POE: 09 - 05 - 2018    ||  Wedding: 09 -16 - 2018

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

Timeline
On 12/21/2012 at 11:33 AM, Darnell said:

I've written something up for a SSN Howto - please have a read, make comments. At some point, I'll refactor, ask for it to be pinned here.

Thanks !

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SSN Info for K-1 visa Holders and CR/IR Visa Holders

K-1 Visa Holders

Regardless of your Marital Status, you are allowed to apply for a SSN.

You have a particular time window in which to apply -

starts 2 weeks after POE date and ends 2 weeks before the I-94 expires.

Why are these start/end dates important?

2 weeks after POE date, the SAVE database MIGHT have you in the system.

SAVE is used by SSA clerks to validate you are eligible.

2 weeks prior to I-94 expiring, SSA won't accept the application, as the validity date to

receive it will pass by the time it's mailed out to you.

How to apply:

Get into your local SSA office, bring your passport and I-94 and a birth certificate. The birth

certificate is optional, but some SSA staffers want to see it. Fill out the SS-5 form there, use

your visa name (regardless of marital status) then

--ask the SSA clerk to look you up in the SAVE system via VISA NAME and/or A#.

---If the SSA clerk can't find you, withdraw the SS-5 firmly, and come back in a week.

---If the SSA clerk can find you by VISA Name but not A#, or vice versa, you need to get to a CBP secondary inspection office and FIX YOUR SAVE RECORD with a CBP staffer (see http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/deferred_inspection/overview_deferred_inspection.xml for the local office address). Don't bother with using a telephone, just go to the office. No queues, no lines, no waiting, just go. If the CBP staffer is confused, ask for the shift supervisor - tell them you have issues with your SAVE record..

---If the SSA clerk CAN FIND YOU, YAY! Go through with the SS-5 application. Come back the next day, and ask for the SSN. Note the physical card will be mailed out, but you can have the NUMBER the next working day.

CR-1/IR-1/CR-2/IR-2/IR-5 Visa Holders

'ticking the box' on the DS-230 is sorta teasing to any Visa Applicant.

The SSN may get processed, it may not get processed - it just depends on the clerk doing the

data entry work for the 'intake' on the casefile once yer wife handed it over to any POE

staffer. I know, the tick box was ticked, there's a reasonable expectation that 'something will

get done' based on that tick box...

But -

if it's been more than 2 weeks past the Port of Entry Date,

then there's a good chance that the SAVE database system has synched up,

and

any SSA clerk, at the local SSA office, can find her in the SAVE database.

Ya won't know till you try. Suggest you go in person, bring -

--yer foreign spouse

--yer foreign spouse's passport

--filled out application (can get those at the office, too)

and apply.

Whilst at the SSA office -

Ask any clerk to look her up in the SAVE database, in the VISA name and A#.

If they can't find her by EITHER ONE (name or A#) - go away, do not allow the application to be

accepted, come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

IF any SSA clerk mumbles 'need DHS/USCIS electronic verification' - do not allow the application to be accepted - come back in a week - SAVE system doesn't have her, yet.

Although SAVE database is useful for 'status checking' at the SSA office (by the SSA clerks) -

many of them are not trained on how to use it. If you get blank looks or mumbles, ask for a

Supervisor, and ask the Supervisor to 'look her up' in SAVE.

If she is found via A# but the VISA name is stored wrong, in SAVE, you'll need to do something else, with the SAVE unit, to get it changed.

It's a hassle, sure, but suggest you do change it to proper spelling of 'VISA NAME' prior to SSN issuance.

More SAVE INFO -

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextoid=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

hi @Darnell

so i saw you're like the ssn expert.

i arrived in the us on sept 5, 2018 on a k1 visa.

i just realized a week ago that my name on my i94 is different. i94 first name: "x", my passport & birth certificate and k1 visa name: "xy". i complained to the cbp website in their complain form about it.  then 2 days ago i also realized that my poe real date is sept 5 and in my i94 it's sept 6 which i haven't complained about yet.

i have been checking the save program website you suggested to check to verify my case or check if my case was uploaded already before i went to the ssa office.

all this while i thought this is how it goes:

1. enter at poe. io at poe office inputs data for cbp.

2. cbp backroom person uploads it into their system and then uploads it in the save program.

3. when your passport/i94 appear on save program 2 weeks after poe... then you can finally go to ssa office to apply ssn.  and if you go anytime before it... then you are subject to manual verification. which would delay your ssn a few weeks later vs. if you apply for it after your case appears on the save program, which you can get the ssn number the next day and then get the card 1 week after.

so after checking everyday till before my wedding, my case has not appeared yet. so last weekend i had to get married before i applied for my ssn. 

i got married sept 16, 2018.
i turned in the marriage license to the county clerk tuesday sept 18, 2018.

i continued to check my save program status and nothing.  so then i decided to just apply when i got my marriage certificate.

i got the marriage certificate sept 20, 2018 (friday) and then headed to the ssa office. some people got their ssa in their married name, while most got it in their maiden name. so i prepared 2 ss5 applications. hahaha. 1 in my maiden name and 1 in my married name just in case. you'll never know right? but the ssa officer said it had to be in my maiden name. so it's fine. i was good to go. but then he said i had a name mismatch. so they said that i had to like fix it with the cbp/uscis. he said he will check the status everyday and then give me a call once he got it cleared. but it cane take up to 3 weeks to 3 months depending if the issue is cleared with the cbp/uscis.

so i reread your thread and then ok i will be going to a deferred inspection office in san diego which is a 2.5 hrs drive from imperial california where i live. i didn't want to have to go there since it's really hard to commute to there. but i'm doing it cause you mentioned it's the best way to get it fixed asap. so i will try to ask for a shift supervisor, and then ask them to change my name on the i94 and the poe date. and then show my passport stamp, airplane ticket and boarding pass, k1 visa name, passport name and birth certificate and also my k1 visa form which are all in the proper name and date. then i ask the shift supervisor to also help me with my save program record which the ssa officer couldn't  access/clear for my ssn.

note:i'm in real need of a ssn, because my husband is in the us navy and he'll be deployed on oct 9. and i can't get a base id, or into the deers program or get the military wife housing allowance or be a joint account in the navy federal or the any bank under him. so i badly need this before he gets deployed. otherwise i can't have any allowance/money or housing when he's deployed.

so was what i understood from your post correct? am i doing this right? thanks so much for your answers. sorry for bothering you. but your post is excellent. i love it to bits. thanks!  i just can't screw this up cause of my husband's deployment. and i'll be left in imperial (a desert) with no car... and no nothing in here for a couple of months. so i need this. thanks thanks again! mwhaugs!

K1 Visa:

AOS:

EAD:

AP:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Note the clock is ticking since your I-94 arrival date, the POE date, ya ? 

1.  back at the SSA office, ask for a lookup via A File, alien number.  That one should exist.  Compare the name there on the screen to your passport name.  Come back and answer here with the difference before I will suggest any item #2 ... 

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The Naval Base has an immigration ombudsman office, ask your spouse to talk to the Base Command Petty Officer for the connection ...  This office fixes problems that USCIS likes to stall on. 

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
On 9/21/2018 at 8:24 PM, ZKT said:

hi there!

i got m marriage license today. then i dropped by the ssa to get my ssn even if i had my marriage license, they still told me to get it in my maiden name. which was ok, but then unfortunately i wasn't on the save program even being after 2 weeks already. and they said i had a name mismatch cause my i94 says katrina and in my passport it's katrina marie even if it's the sae passport number and birthday. oh well. guess i'm gonna wait some more.

Your first SSN record HAS to match what's in the passport.  You cannot apply for anything in a married name yet, as you have no federally-issued ID with this name as a zero-level source document.   There are other rules, as well, for K-1 visa holders that SSA ppl HAVE to abide by, for you to get your first card. 

Sure, after you get your first card, based on your record in SAVE, you can go back and change your name in the SSA office.  And get a 2nd card with the married name.  Not yet, though, not yet. 

Timeline

also - 

at the SSA office, when the clerk says 'Will Wait for SAVE verification with CBP/USCIS' - 

that's the kiss of death.  You have 74 days from entry date to get this done, a SAVE verification usually takes 60 days.  Sometimes 120 days.  

Tick Tock / Tempus Fugit .. 

Timeline
On 9/21/2018 at 8:24 PM, ZKT said:

hi there!

You must fix this with CBP firstly before hammering any SSA clerk.  CBP controls the data.  A shift supervisor at a CBP office has the power to change it in real time in the computer, but you have to engage, face to face, with that person.  The person at the desk usually is not the shift supervisor at CBP. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.