RICARDO4EVA2

CSPA and AOS abandonment

3 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello All, 

I'm here to source some information on CSPA for a friend in need.   Her step-father, a U.S. Citizen, filed the full AOS packet and her priority date became a day before her 21st birthday.  USCIS correspondents all went to an address where they lived.  In 2017, at the time of their discovery, USCIS had already issued a letter. The notice of intent to deny letter was retrieved from the old address after the RFE timeframe. She also was outside of the timeframe in which an appeal could have been successfully filed as stated in the letter. 

Now,  to help her, I would like to know if anyone with experience and knowledge can give some information since she is in limbo.  She is now 22 and would like to know if her case can be reopened or appealed through higher channels.  Also, to make things clear, USCIS did not make an error in her address that would have caused a delay. We know that if she should re-file, she will be in the F1 category due to age and new application and may be ineligible to file AOS due to being out of status.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   Thank you and best regards!

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

If the petition was denied and dead, then there's no way to proceed without a new petition, in which their age will not be protected by CSPA.

If the I-130 petition has not been denied (or can be successfully re-opened and approved), then they should be covered by CSPA so long as they filed before she was 21 and she seeks to acquire permanent residence within 1 year of the I-130 being approved.

As for what basis the I-130 can be reopened, there needs to be strong evidence that the I-130 was incorrectly denied. Given the long delay,I think proving this would be a massively uphill effort...and I'm not confident you can even appeal it this long after a denial. These processes are highly regulated by policies and law...there's not a back channel or anything, if that's what you're asking.

1 hour ago, RICARDO4EVA2 said:

Her step-father, a U.S. Citizen, filed the full AOS packet and her priority date became a day before her 21st birthday.

I'm confused a bit by this...the PD is immediately current for an under-21 child/stepchild of a USC. This means it is current upon filing.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
41 minutes ago, geowrian said:

If the petition was denied and dead, then there's no way to proceed without a new petition, in which their age will not be protected by CSPA.

If the I-130 petition has not been denied (or can be successfully re-opened and approved), then they should be covered by CSPA so long as they filed before she was 21 and she seeks to acquire permanent residence within 1 year of the I-130 being approved.

As for what basis the I-130 can be reopened, there needs to be strong evidence that the I-130 was incorrectly denied. Given the long delay,I think proving this would be a massively uphill effort...and I'm not confident you can even appeal it this long after a denial. These processes are highly regulated by policies and law...there's not a back channel or anything, if that's what you're asking.

I'm confused a bit by this...the PD is immediately current for an under-21 child/stepchild of a USC. This means it is current upon filing.

OK thanks and no the i130 was not denided

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.