Ban Hammer

Falwell in 'gravely serious' condition

117 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Anyone who defends this sick fuc!k of a man posing as God's rep on earth really needs their heads examined. And, yes, we can judge people based on their deeds, because we are mortal, of this earth, and that is all we know, especially those of us who don't lose their minds in this whole god thing. And Falwell's deeds were disgusting, sick, unforgivable.

WOOOOOOOOO! :thumbs:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

The man is dead, let it be. What is the point in reveling in someone's death, even if you hate them? Life in the US is so horrible, isn't it? Yeah, we have freedom of speech but do we have respect for the dead, even if we detest the dead person? Pitiful.

I don't know much about Falwell because I was not interested in what he had to say. I have my own personal beliefs which I keep to myself. If he was a hatemongerer while he was alive, it does not justify hatemongerers celebrating his death. There are many more creative, sophisticated and effective ways to affect political and religious change than ranting on a message board for immigration.

Edited by Lewis

The man is dead, let it be. What is the point in reveling in someone's death, even if you hate them? Life in the US is so horrible, isn't it? Yeah, we have freedom of speech but do we have respect for the dead, even if we detest the dead person? Pitiful.

I don't know much about Falwell because I was not interested in what he had to say. I have my own personal beliefs which I keep to myself. If he was a hatemongerer while he was alive, it does not justify hatemongerers celebrating his death. There are many more creative, sophisticated and effective ways to affect political and religious change than ranting on a message board for immigration.

I guess I'm just an a$$hole then, right? There may be more creative, sophisticated ways to effect (not affect) change but it's not something I get into very deeply on a message board about immigration. It's not really the proper forum, and I don't feel that I have anything to prove in that respect anyway. That's just me, though. :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I guess I'm just an a$$hole then, right? There may be more creative, sophisticated ways to effect (not affect) change but it's not something I get into very deeply on a message board about immigration. It's not really the proper forum, and I don't feel that I have anything to prove in that respect anyway. That's just me, though. :whistle:

Your interpretation is yours, not mine. No one is proving anything, it is not a contest here. My point is made.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
Anyone who defends this sick fuc!k of a man posing as God's rep on earth really needs their heads examined. And, yes, we can judge people based on their deeds, because we are mortal, of this earth, and that is all we know, especially those of us who don't lose their minds in this whole god thing. And Falwell's deeds were disgusting, sick, unforgivable.

Your opinion...and some ppl have differing ones.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Wow...the level of sheer corrosive hatred being displayed here towards someone who has murdered no one, nor has called for the murder of anyone is truly appalling and even a bit scary. Just what deeds are you referring to that were "disgusting, sick, unforgivable?" And do you have anywhere near the same level of hatred for real evil, like terrorism?

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Wow...the level of sheer corrosive hatred being displayed here towards someone who has murdered no one, nor has called for the murder of anyone is truly appalling and even a bit scary. Just what deeds are you referring to that were "disgusting, sick, unforgivable?" And do you have anywhere near the same level of hatred for real evil, like terrorism?

Ask peezey, he/she is the one who wrote the post that I merely concurred with.

And yes, I do hate terrorism...and unlike Jerry Falwell, I don't blame the innocent civilians who died on 9/11 for their own horrific, untimely deaths. I assure you that if they were dragging Osama bin Laden's body around in the street with his nuts in his mouth, you and I would be slapping high fives.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

agreed. i wonder if the same ones will cheer and rant if jackson or sharpton kicks the bucket soon.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

On the huge Fark.com thread about Jerry this post sums up why it's OK to be strongly critical of the man after his death:

Falwell never backed down from insulting and demonizing anyone, or any group, that did not conform to his narrow, religious perspective. His explicit condemnation of everyone except for right-wing politico-religionists was not intended for the members of his own church (his rightful concern), but for the nation at large, and for the amalgamation of political power.

Thus, he and his dialogue exist in the public milieu, and the public is thus entitled to respond to him any way it wishes.

I live in Memphis--live and work among many people who are what I describe as right-wing politico-religionists. They believe the revisionist fallacy that US law is based in the Bible. They believe in the lie that the US was intended by the Founders to be a Christian state. They believe the likes of Falwell and Robertson when they say the the state and the church should somehow meld, never thinking through to the day that the state regulates church doctrine and either approves or opposes various denominations.

Yet I say hello to them, share my food with them, crack jokes with them, etc, because this is how civil society works. But the political milieu is different. The politico-religionists have no compunctions about backstabbing and throat-cutting and influence-peddling at the level of competition for state power.

Thus, Falwell is at the level of other state actors, including Bauer, the Clintons, Soros, Pat Robertson, etc. It is not a violation of "liberal tolerance" to make jokes and disparage state actors. We put up with each other on the personal level because we desire a civilized life on the street and at work. We actively denounce state actors we see as detrimental to the cause of civil society because those are the rules of the political milieu. And we'd be remiss if we didn't.

BTW, with that "Official Seal" graphic in your signature, who are you to criticize another's hatred?

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Some of these calls for respect for the dead seem to be coming from the same people who rejoiced in the death of Saddam.

eta: not comparing Falwell to Saddam in any way, just saying you can't have it both ways.

Edited by Alex+R

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Some of these calls for respect for the dead seem to be coming from the same people who rejoiced in the death of Saddam.

eta: not comparing Falwell to Saddam in any way, just saying you can't have it both ways.

True. It's working the other way around though, too.

I just can't understand rejoicing in anyone's death, Falwell included.

True. It's working the other way around though, too.

I just can't understand rejoicing in anyone's death, Falwell included.

Saddam is definitely worse than Jerry Falwell and I'm not sorry he's dead, but I'm not sorry to see Jerry Falwell die either. I don't know why everything has to be so black and white with some people, i.e. 'if you're happy Falwell's dead you must have been sad about Saddam.' Uhh...no.