Lasersupernova

Vaccinations at the Red Cross Bangkok

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi All, 

At the good advice of you knowledgeable people, my fiance went to the Red Cross in Bangkok to get vaccines. She received the TDAP with Polio plus Influenza, but was told she needed to get the TDAP again in one month as a series. Anyone experience the same? She was also charged 3,000 Baht for those vaccines and drawing blood for analysis. 

From my experience and from what I've read, they are not vaccines administered in a series for adults. Just curious if anyone has run into this. Would it be a big deal to skip the 2nd shot? Catching up on vaccines has become more complicated than I expected. 

As a note, she went to Bumrungrad to check it out and got the MMR. They charged her 2,000 Baht so yeah, they are more expensive. 

Edited by Lasersupernova

Timeline
On 8/22/2018 at 11:14 PM, Lasersupernova said:

At the good advice of you knowledgeable people, my fiance went to the Red Cross in Bangkok to get vaccines. She received the TDAP with Polio plus Influenza, but was told she needed to get the TDAP again in one month as a series. Anyone experience the same? She was also charged 3,000 Baht for those vaccines and drawing blood for analysis. 

From my experience and from what I've read, they are not vaccines administered in a series for adults. Just curious if anyone has run into this. Would it be a big deal to skip the 2nd shot? Catching up on vaccines has become more complicated than I expected. 

As a note, she went to Bumrungrad to check it out and got the MMR. They charged her 2,000 Baht so yeah, they are more expensive. 

Hmm, for an adult, only a single TDAP shot is required with a booster shot after 10 years.   Hep A and Hep B are multi dose vaccinations and MMR may require a second dose in some cases.

The Embassies follow CDC guidelines.  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html#f3

My fiancee received her shots both at the Thai Red Cross and Thai Travel Clinic.   The Thai Travel Clinic (within a 10 minute walk from the Victory Monument BTS) is a more "modern" facility and is also reasonably priced, but an appointment is preferred.   Here is their cost schedule:

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

Timeline
On 8/24/2018 at 3:09 AM, JoelThai said:

Hmm, for an adult, only a single TDAP shot is required with a booster shot after 10 years.   Hep A and Hep B are multi dose vaccinations and MMR may require a second dose in some cases.

The Embassies follow CDC guidelines.  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/hcp/imz/adult.html#f3

My fiancee received her shots both at the Thai Red Cross and Thai Travel Clinic.   The Thai Travel Clinic (within a 10 minute walk from the Victory Monument BTS) is a more "modern" facility and is also reasonably priced, but an appointment is preferred.   Here is their cost schedule:

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/cost.html

Thanks for info. That's what I thought. I suppose it doesn't help that my fiance doesn't speak Thai either. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, Lasersupernova said:

Thanks for info. That's what I thought. I suppose it doesn't help that my fiance doesn't speak Thai either. 

Does she speak English?   The Thai Travel Clinic speaks reasonable English.

If you are unsure, I recommend sending her to the Thai Travel Clinic that I linked to above.   A second "professional" opinion never hurts.  I strongly recommend them.  

Their approach is much more methodical than over at the Thai Red Cross Clinic.  (I have been to both facilities a couple of times.)  Prior to issuing immunizations they sit down and consult your situation.   On my first visit there with my fiancee I brought the Medical Vaccination Instructions from Packet 4 and the doctor spent about 30 minutes reviewing then and consulting the CDC guidelines to determine what she actually needed.

The facility is very modern (maybe only a few years old), air conditioned, and a patient staff.   The rates they charge are competitive with the Thai Red Cross clinic.   

Here are the pros and cons of the two:

Thai Red Cross:  

1) No appointments accepted.  Walk in only.  This could be good or bad depending on how busy they are and how organized you are.    

2) Few questions asked.   Tell them what you want, pay the fee, and get the shots.

3) No air conditioning in outside lobby/entrance.

4) Very old facility.   Maybe built in the 1940s.   If you like old architecture, it is an interesting building.

Thai Travel Clinic:

1) Appointment strongly recommended.   You can schedule the appointment from their webpage.   Walk ins are available, but be prepared to wait as those with appointments are serviced first.

https://www.thaitravelclinic.com/index.php?option=com_rsappt_pro3&view=bookingscreengadwiz&Itemid=544&lang=en

2) Comprehensive consultation with the doctor to discuss your needs and doctor recommendations.

3) Air conditioning in all areas of the facility.

4) Very new and modern facility.

Both are about a 10 minute walk from their closest BTS stations.

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline

Thank you very much for the detailed information! My fiance will try to get an appointment at the Travel Clinic. The Embassy set the case status to Ready two days ago, so we expect packet 3 to arrive any day now. Unfortunately we need to wait another couple weeks for the police clearance to arrive. Funny thing, in the Philippines she was able to get the police clearance same day. 

Timeline

I like the idea of the thaitravelclinic, but I just summed up all the vaccines required (below) on the medical certificate instruction, and it totaled out to over 8000 baht.   Heard the Red Cross was around 3000, and as low as 1500 if you stuck with the minimum required for the K1.   Am I missing something?

Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis
 measles, rubella and mumps
 Polio (inactivated) or (live oral)
 Hepatitis A
 Hepatitis B
 Haemophilus influenzae type b(Hib)
 Varicella
 Pneumococcal for adults
 Pneumococcal for children
 Meningococcal
 Influenza
 Rotavirus

Timeline
36 minutes ago, DanielPlainview said:

I like the idea of the thaitravelclinic, but I just summed up all the vaccines required (below) on the medical certificate instruction, and it totaled out to over 8000 baht.   Heard the Red Cross was around 3000, and as low as 1500 if you stuck with the minimum required for the K1.   Am I missing something?

 Hepatitis A
 Hepatitis B
 Varicella
 Meningococcal
 Influenza
 Rotavirus

My fiance went to the red cross and the DTAP, polio and influenza cost her 3,000 baht. Some people have already had some vaccines so that can make differences in cost. From what she was charged compared to the travel clinic, the Red Cross seems more expensive. Then again, my fiance doesn't speak Thai so I'm not sure if she really knows what they charged for as they also drew blood.  She is returning to Bangkok for more vaccines next week so we'll see what happens. I do know for sure the recommended medical exam hospital is more expensive as the MMR alone cost 2,000 Baht. 

Timeline
23 hours ago, DanielPlainview said:

 Hepatitis A
 Hepatitis B
 Varicella
 Meningococcal
 Influenza
 Rotavirus

Keep in mind that some vaccinations listed as "required" may not be appropriate for an adult.   For example Haemophilus Influenzae type b(His) Rotavirus, Meningococcal and Pneumococcal for children.   Also most Thais under 30 have been vaccinated for Polio as children.   But if you have a K2, then the immunizations for children may be an important cost factor.  So just adding the costs of each vaccine listed on the Vaccination list will not give you a realistic amount you will need to pay.   

Also consider if you do not have accurate vaccination history, some lab testing may be required.  My financee had testing performed at the Thai Travel Clinic to determine existing immunities as she did not have vaccination records from her past.  She was tested for MMR (Mumps Measles Rubella), Hep A, Hep B, and Varicella.   Lab testing may determine that certain vaccinations are not required.  For example, my fiancee has immunity to Hep B (not a carrier) but needed Hep A vacinations.   Additionally, you will need to account for the fact that some vaccinations require multiple shots.  Hep A need 2, Heb B needs 3, and MMR needs 2 now.

Here are some real costs comparisons between the Red Cross and Travel clinic based on the immunizations my fiancee received at the Red Cross and the Fees listed by the Travel Clinic.   In some cases the Red Cross maybe a little bit less, in others the Travel Clinic may be less.  

Red Cross.  Thai Travel Clinic

Hep A   1400.            1473

MMR     350.               192

But don't feel bad jumping to conclusions, as I was unsure what my financee needed when I stated as well.   This is one of the benefits of the Thai Travel Clinic.  They spent about 30 minutes reviewing the Embassy Instructions and the CDC guidelines to determine what was appropriate for my fiancee and to determine what testing was necessary.

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
3 minutes ago, JoelThai said:

Keep in mind that some vaccinations listed as "required" may not be appropriate for an adult.   For example Haemophilus Influenzae type b(His) Rotavirus, Meningococcal and Pneumococcal for children.   Also most Thais under 30 have been vaccinated for Polio as children.   But if you have a K2, then the immunizations for children may be an important cost factor.  So just adding the costs of each vaccine listed on the Vaccination list will not give you a realistic amount you will need to pay.   

Also consider if you do not have accurate vaccination history, some lab testing may be required.  My financee had testing performed at the Thai Travel Clinic to determine existing immunities as she did not have vaccination records from her past.  She was tested for MMR (Mumps Measles Rubella), Hep A, Hep B, and Varicella.   Lab testing may determine that certain vaccinations are not required.  For example, my fiancee has immunity to Hep B (not a carrier) but needed Hep A vacinations.   Additionally, you will need to account for the fact that some vaccinations require multiple shots.  Hep A need 2, Heb B needs 3, and MMR needs 2 now.

Here are some real costs comparisons between the Red Cross and Travel clinic based on the immunizations my fiancee received at the Red Cross and the Fees listed by the Travel Clinic.   In some cases the Red Cross maybe a little bit less, in others the Travel Clinic may be less.  

Red Cross.  Thai Travel Clinic

Hep A   1400.            1473

MMR     350.               192

Right, she has not yet done the blood testing which will eliminate the need for some of the vaccines.  Good comparison info above.............I simply added up the cost for all.   She knew about Red Cross, and I told her about TTC.   I'll leave the "which one" decision to her and just feel fortunate that I'm not the one getting the shots.   :)

Timeline
8 minutes ago, DanielPlainview said:

Right, she has not yet done the blood testing which will eliminate the need for some of the vaccines.  Good comparison info above.............I simply added up the cost for all.   She knew about Red Cross, and I told her about TTC.   I'll leave the "which one" decision to her and just feel fortunate that I'm not the one getting the shots.   :)

Also be prepared for hospital fees.   The Red Cross will charge a 50 baht Medical and nursing Services fee per visit and a registration fee on the first visit.  The Thai Travel Clinic charges a 20 baht first time Registration fee, a 40 baht injection fee (if vaccinations are administered)  and a 50 baht Hospital Fee.   These fees (totaling $2 - $3) are negligible when considered the cost of Medical Care in the US.   👍

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
23 hours ago, Lasersupernova said:

My fiance went to the red cross and the DTAP, polio and influenza cost her 3,000 baht. Some people have already had some vaccines so that can make differences in cost. From what she was charged compared to the travel clinic, the Red Cross seems more expensive. Then again, my fiance doesn't speak Thai so I'm not sure if she really knows what they charged for as they also drew blood.  She is returning to Bangkok for more vaccines next week so we'll see what happens. I do know for sure the recommended medical exam hospital is more expensive as the MMR alone cost 2,000 Baht. 

If they drew blood, it sounds like they were doing some testing.   Did they ask her to come back for test results?

Her experience sounds similar to our first visit to the Thai Travel Clinic.   On the first visit my financee received a Polio booster, Dtap, and Influenza, along with testing from MMR and Varicella.   Including lab fees, registration fee, and hospital fee, the total was 3,200 baht for the first visit.

Edited by JoelThai

Timeline
7 hours ago, JoelThai said:

Also be prepared for hospital fees.   The Red Cross will charge a 50 baht Medical and nursing Services fee per visit and a registration fee on the first visit.  The Thai Travel Clinic charges a 20 baht first time Registration fee, a 40 baht injection fee (if vaccinations are administered)  and a 50 baht Hospital Fee.   These fees (totaling $2 - $3) are negligible when considered the cost of Medical Care in the US.   👍

Sure....I'm good with the fees.   Far less than her visits to Bumrungrad for annual checkups and whatever else.   Will be happy to get her added to my insurance plan after marriage 

Timeline

Just to follow up, my fianee went to the Thai Travel clinic and experienced a professional and helpful visit. As @JoelThai mentioned, the doctor gave a consultation against the requirements and she then had a blood test. She felt the experience at the travel clinic was much better than the red cross and more informative. Thanks for the recommendation!

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 8/23/2018 at 1:14 PM, Lasersupernova said:

Hi All, 

To gain entry into the U.S. you only need to start the vaccination process of what is listed, but when you do adjust of status don't you need to have completed all vaccines ? So if you started the vaccination process in Thailand but didn't finish it, wouldn't you need to pay again to have a doctor check her out to finish the process ?

Timeline

@John951 You are correct, the process will need to be completed for adjustment of status. I was asking more for the timeframe. We worked it out in the end. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.