aeroth88

I-131 Application for Travel Part 7?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello,

In the application, part 7 ("Complete only if you are applying for advance parole") states:

"On a separate sheet of paper, explain how you qualify for an Advance Parole Document, and what circumstances warrant issuance of advance parole. Include copies of any documents you wish considered."

What the heck is this? In part 4 it asks for the purpose of the trip, so I put "in case of family emergency" (for the dates and expected length I wrote TBD).

What else do we possibly need to supplement and what documents are they even talking about?!

Thanks

This question gets asked almost every day on this forum.

"TBD", "in case of family emergency" or even "N/A" are perfectly acceptable to put down on the AP form. You don't need anything more.

Edited by mushroomspore

Timeline
1 minute ago, mushroomspore said:

"TBD", "in case of family emergency" or even "N/A" are perfectly acceptable to put down on the AP form. You don't need anything more.

I understand that but Part SEVEN asks for additional information and it does not appear to be optional.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

In part FOUR I did write TBD and then in the explanation I wrote "in case of family emergency." I understand that. It's part SEVEN that confuses me.

Edited by aeroth88

1 minute ago, aeroth88 said:

In part FOUR I did write TBD and then in the explanation I wrote "in case of family emergency." I understand that. It's part SEVEN that confuses me.

Trust me, pretty much none of us AoS applicants had to attach a separate sheet of explanation to get AP approval. I did no such thing and have my EAD/AP combo card. So do a lot of us. 

This is exactly what it says in the instructions for I-131, on page 9 for your category (emphasis mine):

c. Advance Parole Document for Individuals Who Are Currently in the United States

If you are in the United States, you must attach:

(1) A copy of any document issued to you by USCIS showing your present status, if any, in the United States; and

(2) An explanation or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance of an Advance Parole Document; or

(3) If you are an applicant for adjustment of status, a copy of a USCIS receipt as evidence that you filed the adjustment application; or

(4) If you are traveling to Canada to apply for an immigrant visa, a copy of the U.S. consular appointment letter; or

(5) If USCIS has deferred action in your case under DACA, you must include a copy of the Form I-797, Notice of Action, showing that the decision on your Form I-821D was to defer action in your case. If ICE deferred action in your case under DACA, submit a copy of the approval order, notice or letter issued by ICE. You must complete Part 4. of the form indicating how your intended travel fits within 1 of the 3 purposes below. You must also provide evidence of your reason for travel outside of the United States including the dates of travel and the expected duration outside the United States. If your advance parole application is approved, the validity dates of your Advance Parole Document will be for the duration of the documented need for travel. Below are examples of acceptable evidence:

Educational Purposes

(a) A letter from a school employee acting in an official capacity describing the purpose of the travel and explaining why travel is required or beneficial; or

(b) A document showing enrollment in an educational program requiring travel. Employment Purposes A letter from your employer or a conference host describing the need for the travel.

Humanitarian Purposes

(a) A letter from your physician explaining the nature of your medical condition, the specific medical treatment to be sought outside of the United States, and a brief explanation why travel outside the U.S. is medically necessary; or

(b) Documentation of a family member’s serious illness or death

Note the "AND" after requirement (1) and the "OR" after all the other points. Since you're sending AP in with all other AoS paperwork, that acts as the notification to USCIS that you are an applicant for adjustment of status. Therefore, you don't need to do anything more on the form.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Trust me, pretty much none of us AoS applicants had to attach a separate sheet of explanation to get AP approval. I did no such thing and have my EAD/AP combo card. So do a lot of us. 

This is exactly what it says in the instructions for I-131, on page 9 for your category (emphasis mine):

Note the "AND" after requirement (1) and the "OR" after all the other points. Since you're sending AP in with all other AoS paperwork, that acts as the notification to USCIS that you are an applicant for adjustment of status. Therefore, you don't need to do anything more on the form.

Okay so Part 7 is referring back to number 2 in the instructions. They did not make that very clear, thank you for doing so.

It's not needed when applying for AP due to a pending AOS application. The I-131 is used for many different circumstances, in which said statement is necessary to justify issuing AP for some of them.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.