snowcat

Expediting EAD/AP Card Renewal

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I rushed to the Philippines (with an EAD/AP combo card) because my mother was in a critical condition at the hospital, and unfortunately passed away the day after I arrived. During her funeral, my wallet was stolen, and it had my EAD/AP card in it. I have contacted the US Embassy in Manila and USCIS numerous times and they insist they cannot help me because I am not yet a legal permanent resident. Long story short, I had to cancel my flight back to the USA last July 8th because the airline cannot let me board the plane without any form of travel document, and I have not been able to leave the Philippines until now (I've been here for 2 months already).

The only silver lining in this entire experience is that I put in an application for renewal of my EAD/AP card (which was set to expire in September 2018) last May 2018, and I am just hoping we get that new card in the mail soon, so that my husband can mail it to me here and I can use it to fly back to the USA. Here are the biggest issues causing me the most stress:

1. Our AOS/Green Card interview has been set on August 6, 2018 and I'm worried I am going to miss it because I'm still stuck in the Philippines without any assurance of when I can fly back. I have called USCIS to reschedule the interview, but am still waiting on word from them if my request has been approved. I'm afraid of being marked as a no-show and being automatically denied my green card.
  2. We were supposed to have our Cleveland wedding ceremony on September 7th (we are only married civilly with 2 witnesses, but we wanted a ceremony with family and friends), but I'm afraid we might miss that, too.

Anyway, my real question is this: do you think I can expedite my EAD/AP card so I can be back in the USA soon? What reason can I give to justify expediting my card? My husband is the main financial provider (I am working on a business we are starting together, but am not really making money yet), so I don't think I'll be able to use "financial hardship" as a justification. If anyone has any suggestion on how we can possibly expedite the card that would be great, but I honestly think chances are low since I'm not really in a life-threatening situation? Also, if I put in my application for renewal last May 2018, do you think there is a good chance I will get the card by September 2018? I'm worried it might take even longer than that (that already seems like a long time).

Just looking for advice. Please do not berate me for losing my card. I am already suffering the consequences and am in a really bad state. I'm constantly anxious and stressed, and I can't even properly grieve over my mother's death because of it. Please be kind. Thank you.

I'm sorry for your loss.

You should be able to re-enter the US if you can get there...the issue is getting the airline to board you without proper documentation. I suggest reaching out to the airline and having them contact CBP for your situation. There's been a few similar circumstances posted on VJ this year. Pursuing it with the airline - while likely not easy/simple/fast - would be my first stop. If they can get permission from CBP to board you (airlines won't do so themselves since they would be liable for the return trip if denied entry w/o proper documentation), you should be able to proceed.

Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:

I'm sorry for your loss.

You should be able to re-enter the US if you can get there...the issue is getting the airline to board you without proper documentation. I suggest reaching out to the airline and having them contact CBP for your situation. There's been a few similar circumstances posted on VJ this year. Pursuing it with the airline - while likely not easy/simple/fast - would be my first stop. If they can get permission from CBP to board you (airlines won't do so themselves since they would be liable for the return trip if denied entry w/o proper documentation), you should be able to proceed.

Good luck.

Thank you, geowrian. Unfortunately, it was not that easy in my case. I was able to get in touch with the Airport Operations Manager of Philippine Airlines working at the terminal I was to depart from 2 weeks before my departure date and she (bless her soul) tried everything she could in her power to get me on that plane. She has called both CBP (the RCLG number that one of the posters here on VJ has mentioned) and US Immigrations in SF Airport (my PoE) and they both told her that I would need my original card or at least a travel document from the US Embassy to be able to be let in (which we know is not true because others in this forum have been able to enter with a lost EAD/AP card). I even called the CBP number myself to try and plead my case, but the officer (who was mildly irked that I had called the number despite it being solely for airlines) told me he would advise the airline NOT to let me board because I have no "official status" as I am not yet an LPR. He was very unhelpful. I even reached out to the VJ poster I mentioned who was successful in getting the CBP advise the airline to let their spouse board, and it turns out they called the CBP for Caribbean Islands (I'm in Asia, so I called the Asian CBP). So, I called the Caribbean Islands CBP to inquire about my case, and they (who were also irked that I had called despite me not being an airline) merely told me to let the airline call them because they cannot talk to me. So I asked the Airport Operations Manager to call them, and they merely told her that they cannot help her because she is in Asia, and she can to only talk to the CBP handling Asian countries... who were the ones who told her at the beginning not to let me board. Said Airport Operations Manager tried calling CBP thrice only to be told again and again that they do not advise the airline to let me board. :( 

It has been a really frustrating experience. I am still in shock that I am stuck despite being in the system and supposedly legally able to enter the USA while waiting for my GC... but it seems my legal status has gotten lost along with that plastic card.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Latvia
Timeline

Keep calling and trying to resolve this issue, there should be a way. Do you have the paper that says your EAD card has been approved in America? Maybe you can get that paper and use that as a proof that you have that card to be able to be boarded on the plane? But call also USCIS and ask about interview resheduling and sending you a new EAD card....I think the most important is to either make it to the green card interview or be able to reschedule it, otherwise your case could be denied? 

Timeline
28 minutes ago, sweets1234 said:

Keep calling and trying to resolve this issue, there should be a way. Do you have the paper that says your EAD card has been approved in America? Maybe you can get that paper and use that as a proof that you have that card to be able to be boarded on the plane? But call also USCIS and ask about interview resheduling and sending you a new EAD card....I think the most important is to either make it to the green card interview or be able to reschedule it, otherwise your case could be denied? 

Thanks sweets1234. I do have all the possible documents needed to prove I had the card, including the NOA notice of agreement that states my application for Travel Document has been approved and is valid until September 18, 2018. I even have photocopies of the original card. All I don't have is the actual plastic card, which I didn't know was so irreplaceable! All that you have advised is exactly what I have been doing. I just got off my 23498th phone call with USCIS and finally landed a more sympathetic lady who helped me request for expedite under "humanitarian reasons" (the other agents just made it seem like I didn't fit into any of the categories for expedition). She did say there would be no guarantees, but it's worth a shot. I know humanitarian reasons are for life-threatening emergencies, but hey, I would try anything right now. We also are working on rescheduling the interview. I have already requested a reschedule via phone call to the USCIS (still have not heard anything back and it has been a week) and our immigration lawyer friend is also now helping us draft a letter to the San Francisco field office to make sure they are aware of my situation and request to reschedule (as apparently sometimes a phone call to the USCIS never gets through to the field office and people STILL get denied). My husband also is planning on showing up by himself to the interview just in case, so he can reaffirm that I cannot make it.

I am hoping all that I am doing and have done would be enough to save me. I am just hoping my green card application is not severely affected (i.e., denied) by all that is happening to me, and that I can be back with my husband in the USA sooner than I think. I really cannot wait to have all this behind me. I have been losing sleep and been getting sick because of all the anxieties this has brought me. :( Definitely taught me a lesson to be more careful with travel documents! I should have just left the card at home with my passport... but it's too late for that. All I could do now is try my very best to rectify the situation as best I could...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.