George & Roth

Misadventures of getting a drivers license (K-1, New Jersey)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, alvarodn92 said:

I update the info regarding K1 drivers license in NJ. Today I went to Freehold DMV and Eatontown DMV and in both cases they said that they cannot issue a permit because I only have 61 days left in my I-94. I just received my SSN last week.

Also they said that I have to wait until “I get more time in my I-94”, I guess that they mean when I receive the EAD... And that I can drive up to a year with my foreign license.

I hope this helps.

I heard the same at some locations, but in Bakers Basin NJ location we were able to get the license. The license would be for the period of the I-94 OR for 1 year if you have the NOA1 for the Adjustment of Status (I-485). I see you have the NOA 1 already (I-797)

As for being able to drive in NJ it will depend on your country.  I think Spain is on the list so works out for you, but if you still want to get the US license I say try the bakers basin NJ location and bring your NOA 1,  I-94, SS, etc...

3200 Brunswick Pike, Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 is the location for the MVC I recommend. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

• 4 months later...

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was able to get a drivers license expires on the same date of I-94. And now that I received I-797c for my AOS application so I went back to the Lawrence DMV to get the 6 month or 1 year drivers license. However, the lady there refused to give me an extension for my DL, she said that my I-797c only shows USCIS received my application but doesn’t show that they approved it or something like that, she said they are looking for an I-797 has a green background, I think like the I-797 when we applied for K-1.

So my first question is that you mentioned NOA1 for AOS, I believe that’s the I-797c form you got after a few days of filing I-485 correct?

Second, do you have any info on the 6 month or 1 year drivers license, like in the DMV website or something that I could show when I go to DMV?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline
On 8/9/2019 at 1:36 AM, milkyway122 said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was able to get a drivers license expires on the same date of I-94. And now that I received I-797c for my AOS application so I went back to the Lawrence DMV to get the 6 month or 1 year drivers license. However, the lady there refused to give me an extension for my DL, she said that my I-797c only shows USCIS received my application but doesn’t show that they approved it or something like that, she said they are looking for an I-797 has a green background, I think like the I-797 when we applied for K-1.

So my first question is that you mentioned NOA1 for AOS, I believe that’s the I-797c form you got after a few days of filing I-485 correct?

Second, do you have any info on the 6 month or 1 year drivers license, like in the DMV website or something that I could show when I go to DMV?

That I-797 that you brought with you is the same one we used and it worked for us. Yes, the one you get a few days after they receive your AOS package. 

I hope that in that location Bakers Basin MVC that they didn't change how they process the licenses for K-1 visa holders. I would recommend you go back to that location until you can get a different person helping you. 

If that doesn't work I fear you are stuck until the EAD arrives! 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

On 8/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, George & Roth said:

That I-797 that you brought with you is the same one we used and it worked for us. Yes, the one you get a few days after they receive your AOS package. 

I hope that in that location Bakers Basin MVC that they didn't change how they process the licenses for K-1 visa holders. I would recommend you go back to that location until you can get a different person helping you. 

If that doesn't work I fear you are stuck until the EAD arrives! 

Yeah, I went to the one in Bakers Basin, the guy there didn't know what to do so he asked this lady who happened to just stand behind the ID check, she told me that that's not the form they are looking for, they wanted a form actually says "Approved" and she told me she worked for immigration something before she was working here... But I'll definitely go there and try again, it's just I live more than 1 hour driving from there:(

Thanks for the info anyway:)

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.