109 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
10 minutes ago, purple-rose said:

Hi @Naes! Thanks for responding! My passport still has my maiden name as I refused to change it until I have the green card. I'm just a little confused with USCIS' take on hyphenated surnames. I've seen other people here in VJ say that their GCs also don't reflect the hyphenation, but some said theirs do. :( So now, I'm confused and super bothered by it...

So the problem can occur but also can be avoided.

usually passport and gc doesn’t match.

uscis I think is used to hyphenated surnames because there are a lot of people like that. But it may not cause a problem at all.

wait till you get the green card and your new passport if you’ll change. Then if it looks weird to you, you can make an infopass to ask.

8 minutes ago, Naes said:

So the problem can occur but also can be avoided.

usually passport and gc doesn’t match.

uscis I think is used to hyphenated surnames because there are a lot of people like that. But it may not cause a problem at all.

wait till you get the green card and your new passport if you’ll change. Then if it looks weird to you, you can make an infopass to ask.

Thank you @Naes!

I was not particularly concerned with my passport because I know someone who hasn't renewed her passport with her new name and she has traveled a few times just fine (but then again her marriage certificate & GC match). I was just wondering if I would get flagged for my Marriage Cert showing "Andrea Jane Doe-Smith" *IF* my Green Card shows "Andrea Jane Doe Smith" (without the hyphen). I just hope they actually got my hyphenated surname right on the green card :(

IF it turns out my GC gets printed without a hyphen (like my EAD), I'll be so sad because on my application it's hyphenated. :(
It's just strange because my Driver's License, Marriage Certificate, Medical Exam, and other documents sent over to them show my hyphenated surname. But all my NOAs and my EAD (which is expired already) was printed without the hyphen. :/ 

Edited by purple-rose

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
On 11/20/2018 at 10:48 AM, purple-rose said:

Thank you @Naes!

I was not particularly concerned with my passport because I know someone who hasn't renewed her passport with her new name and she has traveled a few times just fine (but then again her marriage certificate & GC match). I was just wondering if I would get flagged for my Marriage Cert showing "Andrea Jane Doe-Smith" *IF* my Green Card shows "Andrea Jane Doe Smith" (without the hyphen). I just hope they actually got my hyphenated surname right on the green card :(

IF it turns out my GC gets printed without a hyphen (like my EAD), I'll be so sad because on my application it's hyphenated. :(
It's just strange because my Driver's License, Marriage Certificate, Medical Exam, and other documents sent over to them show my hyphenated surname. But all my NOAs and my EAD (which is expired already) was printed without the hyphen. 😕

She was using her marriage certificate because she didn't renew her passport. If both your passport and your marriage certificate doesn't match the problem start there. You should be concerned about the passport not marriage certificate cause passport is the important material for your travel. You cannot change your certificate.

Hey guys! Great news! My GC came in the mail today! They corrected my sex and now reflects "F" instead of "M". Surname is not hyphenated :(

Not so great news: they put the wrong "resident since" and expiration dates... Resident date since 11/19/2017 when it should have been 11/19/2018. My expiration date is for next year. Oh man. USCIS is driving me nuts! 

Has anyone else received their GC with incorrect information?? :o 

Edited by purple-rose
added a question

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.