90 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

geeez, if he's here now....

Well, I might visit a *different* government office than the CIS....

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geeez, if he's here now....

Well, I might visit a *different* government office than the CIS....

are you thinking of a civil marriage, meauxna?

Edited by meowgirl

6/22/2010 Sent I-751 to CSC

6/28/2010 NOA1 date

7/06/2010 Received NOA1

8/17/2010 Biometrics appointment

9/07/2010 Approval

9/13/2010 Received card!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Not necessarily. Because the visa app was in progress, why would the entry intend to skirt that? They may have formed the intent now - in the face of this problem - but they weren't planning on doing anything other than the K1 route until this RFE development. At least that's what I take from the OP's comments so far.

Don't think it's open and shut.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Timeline
Not necessarily. Because the visa app was in progress, why would the entry intend to skirt that? They may have formed the intent now - in the face of this problem - but they weren't planning on doing anything other than the K1 route until this RFE development. At least that's what I take from the OP's comments so far.

Well the OP applied Jan 31 & the fiance is here now on a tourist visa.

Edit: OP said in another post:

Meowboy is here visiting me. He arrived April 3 and his POE was LAX

that's post-application when he entered the US...therefore, intent has already been established.

Edited by devilette

Good luck with the appt, let us know how it goes! If I were you, I'd definitly submit the evidence of him being here now. You never know, they might be nice ;) And follow Timsdaisy's advice, advocate the heck out of your petition. Good luck!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

that's post-application when he entered the US...therefore, intent has already been established.

Intent to marry in general has been established. But his intent when he entered the POE wasn't to marry in the US and immigrate - just to visit.

Right?

Who knows - it could be a very sticky situation but then again they could succeed.

(Hi D!)

Edited by kitkat1

Filed: Timeline
Intent to marry in general has been established. But his intent when he entered the POE wasn't to marry in the US and immigrate - just to visit.

Right?

Who knows - it could be a very sticky situation but then again they could succeed.

(Hi D!)

I'm curious what will happen at the infopass appt tmrow! I can't figure out if they ask the immigration official about the whole idea of deciding to get married RIGHT NOW...if it is then intent?

Hi KK! Love ya. (L)

Edited by devilette

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
I'm curious what will happen at the infopass appt tmrow! I can't figure out if they ask the immigration official about the whole idea of deciding to get married RIGHT NOW...if it is then intent?

But at this point, would it matter? He has already been through the POE and already established his "non-intent". Like someone else posted, they didn't even think about it (or maybe aren't even thinking about it now!) until the RFE came. . .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Right?

(Hi D!)

It could work, but I would personally get a good lawyer handy for this one. First of all, it would be difficult to prove that they didn't have the intent to marry when he came to the country. Secondly it'd be a bit of a loophole to the ambiguous language of the law, and they may not take kindly to it. They don't want the US government to think they are frauding them. Be very careful if you decide to take this approach, meowpeople.

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

TimsDaisy's right. The purpose of this current visit is just to spend time with each other. The only reason anything other than the K1 route crossed my mind is because another poster brought it up.

6/22/2010 Sent I-751 to CSC

6/28/2010 NOA1 date

7/06/2010 Received NOA1

8/17/2010 Biometrics appointment

9/07/2010 Approval

9/13/2010 Received card!

Timeline
TimsDaisy's right. The purpose of this current visit is just to spend time with each other. The only reason anything other than the K1 route crossed my mind is because another poster brought it up.

I think you *might* be able to marry now and adjust status. I'm not recommending it, I'm just saying what *might* be legally possible given the information you've provided us here. And forumalting the intent AFTER he entered, doesn't alter history and impute intent upon entry - though, as mentioned above, you would need to be able to explain yourselves later.

I'm not sure about inquiring about this at the infopass appointment. It still wouldn't/shouldn't impute intent pack to the point of meowboy's entry - but, worst case scenario, DHS has a nifty ability to do pretty much a lot of things however it wants with little recourse to the victims. Er, customers? Er, non-Americans?

On the upside, since he's IN the US now, he would have more rights to protest actions against him (you both) than if he were, say, sitting in an interview room at the POE.

Also - and someone chime in on my thinking here, but:

It's never illegal to just get married here. The potential illegalities and problems later crop up because people STAY here too long. He's got a departure date stamped in his passport already. And as of now, worst-case - you have to start the K1 all over again, right? So what if you married, petitioned to adjust status (the act of which keeps you IN status until you get an answer) and then, if they say no, then he goes home and you refile a K3 and do things the proper way. I don't believe (And this is where others with more knowledge can clarify - if they have KNOWLEDGE, not guesses, I mean) that if you did everything legal, but were denied adjustment, that you would necessarily face a ban, because you would not have been illegally present since you were going through all the legal processes.

Does that make any sense?

And perhaps you marry now, adjust, that gets approved, and you're okay.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

But at this point, would it matter? He has already been through the POE and already established his "non-intent". Like someone else posted, they didn't even think about it (or maybe aren't even thinking about it now!) until the RFE came. . .

Exactly.

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding posted here regarding 'intent to immigrate' and when it becomes an issue.

To answer you meowgirl, yes, that is the office I would think of visiting.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

IF you could assure yourself through research that you would face no ban or greater legal hurdle later on: if it becomes a situation where you have to start a k1 over again, you may as well marry and check out the AOS route. he has a departure date and was planning on leaving and can still leave that day anyway.

meauxna has the right idea, i think.

(lots of meow, meaux stuff in this thread, i keep mis-typing things!)

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.