KristinaJP

How soon after receiving your first Green card you can ask for citizenship?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering , when is the first time you can file in paperwork for citizenship? 

How much time since your first green card (the one you get for a year or two)?

I'm just asking since I'm so over fighting with some people from my EU country, who besides thinking that money grows on trees think that I can ask for citizenship within a year or two. My mother talked to some church lady,who is an American and she said I can already ask for it,while i was still waiting for AOS. I told her that's ridiculous that it's most likely at least 5 if not even 10 or more years of living on a green card before you can ask for citizenship? I'm talking about green card through K1 process.

Then I'm also wondering that if I apply for citizenship will I need to give up my EU citizenship or will I have 2 passports?

Thank you for your info.

Wish you a beautiful day <3

• Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

ball.gif the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years; 
              ball.gif the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and 
              ball.gif the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements. 

I did my K1 in 2013/2014. Got my green card in 2015, in march 2017 I filed for ROC (10 year GC) this got approved few weeks ago. Since feb 2018 I can file for citizenship. It depends on the rules in your country if they allow dual citizenship.  See my timeline for more details.

Edited by AnGeLxX

US Passport Application

Routine service
Applied: 12/3/2020

Received: 12/18/2020

Approved & Shipped: 1/11/2021

Passport Delivered:   1/14/2021

Sorry you are getting pressure from family and friends back home, this kind of misinformation is rife and even a lot of Americans don’t know how immigration works.

Once you have a green card if you are married to a us citizen you can apply from 90 days before you reach your third year of being a resident, your resident since date is on your green card. You have to be married to them for the three years as well.  If you aren’t married to a us citizen or if you haven’t been married for the three years you file from 90 days before five year of being a resident. There are a few exceptions to this such as before no the spouse of an active military personnel who has orders to be based outside of the us or if you yourself join a military branch and meet their requirements for being granted citizenship early. 

If you look at my signature on this post (need to use the website on a desktop browser to see it) you can see the dates for my k1 to citizenship journey.

Keeping your original citizenship depends on the laws for that country, for example the U.K. allows you to keep it but Germany requires you to file special paperwork prior to getting a new citizenship in order to keep the German citizenship and if you don’t you lose German citizenship which will be a pain and sometimes impossible to get back. 

Edited by Illiria
Baby brain related lack of English skills

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.