cywrainide

Question about several deed polls

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Uganda
Timeline

Hello,

I'm aware that in the i-129F form I'm supposed to list names that I've used before. When I was an infant to 2 years of age, I went by a different name that was shown in my birth certificate. After 2 years of age, I had a deed poll that legally certified the change of my name. I just have several questions- do I have to list that old name in the 'other names used' portion? And I do know that I have to send a copy of my deed poll into the petition packet, however, do I need an original of the deed poll for my interview? I only have a scanned copy of it on my computer that i intend to print. My estranged mother has long misplaced this document, and I've been trying to call the lawyers that processed this deed poll to no avail. I intend to call them again on Monday (tomorrow in Singapore time),  but if I am still unable to contact them, may I still bring the only scanned copy of the deed poll that I do have to the interview?

Also, my mother herself has changed her name at least 5 times. Her name on my birth certificate is different from her name now. I have my parents' divorce decree that shows her name(s) on it, and a credit report of hers on my computer that shows the history of names she's used. Would that be adequate supplementation to show her name change, if the interviewer questions why my mother's name is different on the birth certificate than on the i-129F petition? As I said, i'm estranged from her so by no means do I have access to her own deed polls.

Lastly, should I attempt to explain this situation in the additional information section of the i-129F regarding my mother's name?

Thank you

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 minutes ago, cywrainide said:

Hello,

I'm aware that in the i-129F form I'm supposed to list names that I've used before. When I was an infant to 2 years of age, I went by a different name that was shown in my birth certificate. After 2 years of age, I had a deed poll that legally certified the change of my name. I just have several questions- do I have to list that old name in the 'other names used' portion? And I do know that I have to send a copy of my deed poll into the petition packet, however, do I need an original of the deed poll for my interview? I only have a scanned copy of it on my computer that i intend to print. My estranged mother has long misplaced this document, and I've been trying to call the lawyers that processed this deed poll to no avail. I intend to call them again on Monday (tomorrow in Singapore time),  but if I am still unable to contact them, may I still bring the only scanned copy of the deed poll that I do have to the interview?

Also, my mother herself has changed her name at least 5 times. Her name on my birth certificate is different from her name now. I have my parents' divorce decree that shows her name(s) on it, and a credit report of hers on my computer that shows the history of names she's used. Would that be adequate supplementation to show her name change, if the interviewer questions why my mother's name is different on the birth certificate than on the i-129F petition? As I said, i'm estranged from her so by no means do I have access to her own deed polls.

Lastly, should I attempt to explain this situation in the additional information section of the i-129F regarding my mother's name?

Thank you

They only require the beneficiary to report the history of name changes, not the parents

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, cywrainide said:

Oh wow that's great. What about my first question?

I just have several questions- do I have to list that old name in the 'other names used' portion? Yes.  You must list all previous names

do I need an original of the deed poll for my interview?  I suggest you check the Embassy website to see if they have a listing of required documents to bring to the interview

I only have a scanned copy of it on my computer that i intend to print. My estranged mother has long misplaced this document, and I've been trying to call the lawyers that processed this deed poll to no avail. I intend to call them again on Monday (tomorrow in Singapore time),  but if I am still unable to contact them, may I still bring the only scanned copy of the deed poll that I do have to the interview? If a original is required, then  an original is required (unless records are not available)

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.