prako22

JOINT SPONSOR.

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello,
          Please I need to make inquiry about this. I had my interview and the consular officer said my wife didn't meet the minimum requirement and that I need to look for a joint sponsor that fill the affidavit of support form and recent US tax return and instruct me that when I finally find the co sponsor that I should drop the documents off at their drop off office with my passport. Now we have her mom ready to be the joint sponsor with one of her mom kid but they both receive social security earnings. So can this work if we show proofs and documents from the social security office showing their social security earnings for three years and also tax transcript from IRS office showing the reason why they're not filing. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, prako22 said:

Hello,
          Please I need to make inquiry about this. I had my interview and the consular officer said my wife didn't meet the minimum requirement and that I need to look for a joint sponsor that fill the affidavit of support form and recent US tax return and instruct me that when I finally find the co sponsor that I should drop the documents off at their drop off office with my passport. Now we have her mom ready to be the joint sponsor with one of her mom kid but they both receive social security earnings. So can this work if we show proofs and documents from the social security office showing their social security earnings for three years and also tax transcript from IRS office showing the reason why they're not filing. Thanks.

I didn't fully understand what you were asking but this is my case and my visa got approved.

-Husband has been in the Philippines for a year now and has no income close to 125% poverty line.

-We asked my mother and father in-law to be our joint sponsors. They agreed. 

-My MIL and FIL are both retired, they file taxes every year jointly because they earn 25-60k a year

-My MIL retired last year and started getting her social security checks this year and she's going to be making 14k annually.

-My FIL retired years ago but has a lot of investments. His earnings per year ranges from 15k-50k annually. He hasn't collected social security because he is waiting til he gets to 70 to collect higher monthly ss.

-My FIL is my joint sponsor (i-864) and my MIL is letting my FIL use her income to sponsor me (i-864a) because they are in the same household.

Bear in mind this fact, 

"A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement."

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Anyway, back to my mil and fil. They have submitted the following:

-Their 2016 tax transcript.

-Social security letter to confirm how much my MIL is earning.

-Additional bank statement with the latest bank balance, just in case their earnings aren't enough or if the consul felt like my FIL's dividend earnings isn't enough proof.

All of these were scanned copies. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/ink-signature-no-longer-required-on-affidavits-of-support.html

Direct Consular Filling - US Embassy Manila

February 5, 2018 - I-130 petition filed

February 23, 2018 - Approval notice received

March 1, 2018 - Case number received and DS-260 complete

March 5 & 6, 2018 - Medical Examination

March 15, 2018 - Interview

March 23, 2018 - Visa Issued

March 28, 2018 - Visa on-hand

Incoming trips:

May 1, 2018 - Clark to Hongkong / Hongkong to Los Angeles

May 5, 2018 - Los Angeles to Kansas

Timeline
3 hours ago, yuini said:

I didn't fully understand what you were asking but this is my case and my visa got approved.

-Husband has been in the Philippines for a year now and has no income close to 125% poverty line.

-We asked my mother and father in-law to be our joint sponsors. They agreed. 

-My MIL and FIL are both retired, they file taxes every year jointly because they earn 25-60k a year

-My MIL retired last year and started getting her social security checks this year and she's going to be making 14k annually.

-My FIL retired years ago but has a lot of investments. His earnings per year ranges from 15k-50k annually. He hasn't collected social security because he is waiting til he gets to 70 to collect higher monthly ss.

-My FIL is my joint sponsor (i-864) and my MIL is letting my FIL use her income to sponsor me (i-864a) because they are in the same household.

Bear in mind this fact, 

"A joint sponsor must meet all the same requirements as you, except the joint sponsor does not need to be related to the immigrant. The joint sponsor (or the joint sponsor and his or her household) must reach the 125% income requirement alone. You cannot combine your income with that of a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement."

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Anyway, back to my mil and fil. They have submitted the following:

-Their 2016 tax transcript.

-Social security letter to confirm how much my MIL is earning.

-Additional bank statement with the latest bank balance, just in case their earnings aren't enough or if the consul felt like my FIL's dividend earnings isn't enough proof.

All of these were scanned copies. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/ink-signature-no-longer-required-on-affidavits-of-support.html

Thanks and appreciated but the issue is that my mother inlaw retired long ago and she doesn't file tax at all. And her household that also want to support my mother inlaw as well doesn't file tax as well. If they both add their income it will be enough for the three of us to make the household requirement. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, prako22 said:

Thanks and appreciated but the issue is that my mother inlaw retired long ago and she doesn't file tax at all. And her household that also want to support my mother inlaw as well doesn't file tax as well. If they both add their income it will be enough for the three of us to make the household requirement. Thanks.

I found this,

How does a financial sponsor show proof of income?

Petitioners must submit a federal tax transcript from the most recent tax year as proof of income. They must do this even if there is a joint sponsor or household member income being used to meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The only exception is if the petitioner was legally exempt from filing federal income taxes, in which case he or she must submit a statement indicating why they were exempt from filing. Please submit an IRS tax transcript rather than a copy of your tax return; you can find information on getting a tax transcript on the IRS’s website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/establish-financial-support/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

If you did not file taxes: If you did not file Federal Income Tax Returns for the most recent tax year, write and sign a statement indicating why you did not file taxes.

For those who are unemployed or retired, submit a photocopy of ongoing income from other means, such as:

• retirement benefits;
  • other household members' income; or
  • other significant assets.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

Hopefully you'll find somebody to answer your question. You can also try to join Facebook groups and maybe somebody came across this situation.

Direct Consular Filling - US Embassy Manila

February 5, 2018 - I-130 petition filed

February 23, 2018 - Approval notice received

March 1, 2018 - Case number received and DS-260 complete

March 5 & 6, 2018 - Medical Examination

March 15, 2018 - Interview

March 23, 2018 - Visa Issued

March 28, 2018 - Visa on-hand

Incoming trips:

May 1, 2018 - Clark to Hongkong / Hongkong to Los Angeles

May 5, 2018 - Los Angeles to Kansas

Timeline
10 hours ago, yuini said:

I found this,

How does a financial sponsor show proof of income?

Petitioners must submit a federal tax transcript from the most recent tax year as proof of income. They must do this even if there is a joint sponsor or household member income being used to meet the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The only exception is if the petitioner was legally exempt from filing federal income taxes, in which case he or she must submit a statement indicating why they were exempt from filing. Please submit an IRS tax transcript rather than a copy of your tax return; you can find information on getting a tax transcript on the IRS’s website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/establish-financial-support/i-864-affidavit-faqs.html

If you did not file taxes: If you did not file Federal Income Tax Returns for the most recent tax year, write and sign a statement indicating why you did not file taxes.

For those who are unemployed or retired, submit a photocopy of ongoing income from other means, such as:

• retirement benefits;
  • other household members' income; or
  • other significant assets.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

Hopefully you'll find somebody to answer your question. You can also try to join Facebook groups and maybe somebody came across this situation.

Ok thanks

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.