spousewaitingvisa

N400 - legal name vs change name

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I received my 10-years green card after the I-751 petition was approved.  Now I am beginning to fill out the N-400 form, but I have few questions regarding my name.  I researched and found some answers, but not very clear. I would like to ask recent people who might know about name change.   I didn't change my name after marriage. I kept my maiden name. My current name has no middle name.  Just first name and maiden name (for example, Jane Smith) --  my foreign passport, green card, driver license, bank, etc. shows Jane Smith (remain unchanged).  Foreign Marriage certificate (in English) shows my current name (Jane Smith) and my husband name (his first, his middle, his last name - for example, John Keith Washington).    I decided to use his last name (Washington) for US citizenship, US passport, DL, etc., but I don't have a middle name so I would like to move my maiden name to middle name like this -- Jane Smith Washington.   I don't want a hyphenated last name.

Option 1

Question 1: Should I go to Social Security office to change my name, then driver license?    or should I go to the court first to change my name? (I am in Maryland. Maryland law doesn't require anyone to go to court for change name if the reason is for marriage, but not sure if they allow me to add maiden name to middle name).

Question 2: After name is changed on SSN card, DL, etc., on the N400 form, should I put Jane Smith Washington as legal name? No need to fill out on the name change on N-400?  right?

or

Option 2

Question 1: On the N400 form, should I put Jane Smith as legal name?  next step, exact name on green card: Jane Smith?  then name change: Jane Smith Washington?   After N400 approval (with judge's approval on change name), can I go head to update my name on SSN, DL, etc?

Please advise me which the best option/way to change name is or which one is much easier.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The most convenient way to change your name is through N400 because it's free and simple.

1. If you are changing your current last name (Jane Smith) to your husbands (Jane Washington), you do NOT need a court order. Marriage certificate is the legal proof for the name change. You just need to file your name change on N400 form and you'll just go to an administrative oath ceremony.  But once you get your naturalization paper with your new name (Jane Washington), you will need to update your SSN and DL with your naturalization paper and your marriage certificate. (SSN first, then, DL)

2. If you are adding a middle name (Jane Smith Washington), you will need a court order. File the name change on N400 and you will need to go to a judicial oath ceremony  where your name change will be approved by a judge with a court order. Once you acquire your naturalization certificate and court order, you will need to update your SSN and DL with your naturalization paper and your court order.

Scenario 1 will typically take less time than scenario 2 as administrative ceremony is handled by USCIS while judicial ceremony is handled by the court. 

My two cents, just change your last name to your husbands if you don't want to wait too long. If your maiden name means a lot to you, it's worth the waiting:)

Good Luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 hours ago, anniesdream said:

The most convenient way to change your name is through N400 because it's free and simple.

1. If you are changing your current last name (Jane Smith) to your husbands (Jane Washington), you do NOT need a court order. Marriage certificate is the legal proof for the name change. You just need to file your name change on N400 form and you'll just go to an administrative oath ceremony.  But once you get your naturalization paper with your new name (Jane Washington), you will need to update your SSN and DL with your naturalization paper and your marriage certificate. (SSN first, then, DL)

2. If you are adding a middle name (Jane Smith Washington), you will need a court order. File the name change on N400 and you will need to go to a judicial oath ceremony  where your name change will be approved by a judge with a court order. Once you acquire your naturalization certificate and court order, you will need to update your SSN and DL with your naturalization paper and your court order.

Scenario 1 will typically take less time than scenario 2 as administrative ceremony is handled by USCIS while judicial ceremony is handled by the court. 

My two cents, just change your last name to your husbands if you don't want to wait too long. If your maiden name means a lot to you, it's worth the waiting:)

Good Luck

Just asking... We got married.  of course the ML is in her maiden name,  and we are finalizing all the I-485 and stuff, she asked should she sign with her married name or her maiden name?  The "only" somewhat legal thing that shows her name as the married name is her SS card she got, however it is contingent on approval by DHS, and for work only (ie: not for Identification?).  Anyways, should she sign the I-485 AOS with her married last name then?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

@Highmystic , my understanding is your wife's maiden name is on your ML while her married name is on her SS Card. Has she changed her maiden name on her passport? I'm not a legal expert but  my concern is the name on her passport should be in line with the one on her SS Card. If this should be a problem for her i-485 application, she probably need to consider applying for a name change on her passport at the Embassy of Philipines with your ML. But please do consult a legal expert before taking any action. 

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if everyone here has the same situation as me, I got my naturalization certificate thru an administrative ceremony with a change requested. At interview, I was not giving 3 pieces of paper to sign for name change request which was a mistake by USCIS officer. Now I do not have that piece of paper to prove I've changed from my old name to new one, my certificate was issued with my new name. I went back to USCIS to talk to them, they said someone messed up and would contact me to fix it, but I haven't heard back from them since their promised timeline has passed. Am I able to just go to court to request name change? I have new name on all my legal document already. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, anniesdream said:

Good Luck

Most convenient way to change your name is, before applying for citizenship.  Yes you will have extra time for security check for your new name. 

All you have to do is, give them a court approved name changed petition, and you done. No need to wait for judicial oath ceremony. You will be done with your name change process like bank, SS Card etc  long before the ceremony...

But Changing your name at naturalization is another way too....

I changed my name before applying for N400:) It took few more months of Security check on my new name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.