conch monch

Psychology credentialing

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Has anyone here had experience in getting their non-US (ie foreign degree) psychology  qualifications and experience assessed? I'll be looking to be licensed in Illinois. I'm interested in hearing what people's experiences with the state boards are (Illinois says they will do the evaluation of my credentials but they want me to fill out the same form as US applicants, which I think poses problems in properly assessing my quals). 

For reference, in Australia I'm registered with the Psychology Board of Australia as a clinical psychologist and have 11 years experience working in mental health services, addiction services, and forensic services.

Cheers!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Dee elle said:

Your first issue will be with getting the Australian University recognised as an accredited school by the Illinois board..  I went through accreditation as an Optometrist in Illinois in 1980, and reciprocity of my Uni melbourne optometry degree was not accepted by the IL board... 

Ugh this is what I am worried about. I've rung them and I was reassured that they credential Australian psychologists "all the time"... But I'm dubious.

What did you do?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Greetings!

You may want to read the following:

REFERENCE: https://www.idfpr.com/profs/psych.asp

http://www.psychologist-license.com/states/illinois-psychologist-license.html#context/api/listings/prefilter

Nelma

Timeline
27 minutes ago, nelmagriffin said:

Greetings!

You may want to read the following:

REFERENCE: https://www.idfpr.com/profs/psych.asp

http://www.psychologist-license.com/states/illinois-psychologist-license.html#context/api/listings/prefilter

Nelma

Thank you. I have the links to these already. 

Filed: Timeline
On 2/16/2018 at 1:50 AM, conch monch said:

]For reference, in Australia I'm registered with the Psychology Board of Australia as a clinical psychologist and have 11 years experience working in mental health services, addiction services, and forensic services.

But do you have a Doctoral degree? That's the criteria. In seems that in Australia, a Masters will suffice. Not so in Illinois. 

In Illinois to be called a Psychologist a Doctorate is required. The only exception is as a School Psychologist, which the minimum is a Masters. There is Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor or Licensed Professional Counselor titles available for Masters degree candidates.

Timeline
1 hour ago, databit said:

But do you have a Doctoral degree? That's the criteria. In seems that in Australia, a Masters will suffice. Not so in Illinois. 

In Illinois to be called a Psychologist a Doctorate is required. The only exception is as a School Psychologist, which the minimum is a Masters. There is Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor or Licensed Professional Counselor titles available for Masters degree candidates.

That's also the point of applying, so they can formally advise what I need to do to make up any deficiencies in study / practise. They will judge on an individual basis. Other than the title of doctorate, according to their psychology laws my program meets all their qualification requirements for licensure when you break it down by content and supervised practise. If I have to do further study I will. If I have to apply for a different title I will. But I want to hear formally from the board re equivalency for clinical psychology. Again, interested in knowing what to expect from other people who have had the experience of applying.

Timeline
On 17/02/2018 at 7:40 AM, Dee elle said:

Try finding the contact details for the state professional association. equivalent  of APS.... contact the president or secretary and ask if you can be put in contact with someone on their association register who has gone through international registration...specifically from Australia if they have someone... First hand experience and personal contact is invaluable. 

That's a great idea. I have also contacted the APS and they're going to contact their members in the US to see if they might like to share their experiences with me. Covering all bases!

Timeline
41 minutes ago, databit said:

Hope it doesn't come to that, but if you must, know that Medicare (Federal) will not accept the other titles for payment.

Do you mean if you want to work as a private practitioner? That's good to know. I've always worked in public mental health services, as that's my preference. I'll have to educate myself further about what the mental health system is like in the US and what the job opportunities are. 

Edited by conch monch
Addition of missing word to complete sentence

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 2/17/2018 at 8:08 PM, conch monch said:

Do you mean if you want to work as a private practitioner? That's good to know. I've always worked in public mental health services, as that's my preference. I'll have to educate myself further about what the mental health system is like in the US and what the job opportunities are. 

No, there is not difference between healthcare systems here like in Australia (They are either non-profit or private hospitals). Military Veteran (VA) Hospitals in the US  would be kind of similar to Australia's government system hospitals ( but only military and ex-military can use VA hospital system).

Medicare is just a government form of insurance coverage for patients (mostly elderly or people on disability). Negotiations for Medicare payments often will be determined by the practitioners credentialing. I am a Doctor of Physical Therapy in the US (we have to have a doctorate to sit for the boards here). It was just determined last month Phyiscal Therapy Assistants will no longer be reimbursed for services at the same rate at PTs (even through they would provide the same services). This also goes for Nurse Practitioners and  Physician Assistants through Medicare reimbursements (they are not reimbursed at the same rates for services as MDs even though they are providing the same services). 

I am not sure about reimbursements for the Psych world but it is an insurer that is provided through the government. Medicare is not a stand alone health care system here in the US. 

I work with and have a couple of friends that are clinical physiologist, they work directly with patients and have Ph. D degrees (with are different that Doctorate Degrees). I know it is super confusing. I have a Doctorate but could go back to school for my Ph. D. But I am do not know the ins and out of clinical psych degrees :) Just wanted to give a little insight of Medicare. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Again I am not in psych but here is the copy of the CMS which is interesting because you will need to have a Doctorate according to the guidelines to get reimbursement through Medicare (which is a large portion of the US population's health insurance) .

Per CMS Medicare guidelines for reimbursement: 

http://www.cms-billing.com/forms/NHIC_Medicare_B_Mental_Heatlh_billing_guide_2008.pdf

Medicare reimbursement: Page 5: 

Clinical Psychologist (CP) To qualify as a Clinical Psychologist (CP), a CP must meet the following requirements:

• Hold a doctoral degree in psychology;

• Be licensed or certified, on the basis of the doctoral degree in psychology, by the State in which he or she practices, at the independent practice level of psychology to furnish diagnostic, assessment, preventive, and therapeutic services directly to individuals.

Covered Services CPs may provide the following services:

• Diagnostic and therapeutic services that a CP is legally authorized to perform in accordance with State law and/or regulation.

• Services and supplies furnished incident to a CP’s services are covered if the requirements that apply to services incident to a physician’s services are met. • These services must be mental health services that are commonly furnished in CP’s offices.

• An integral, although incidental, part of professional services performed by the CP. • They must be performed under the direct personal supervision of the CP (the CP must be physically present and immediately available) and

• Furnished without charge or included in the CP bill. Any person involved in performing the service must be an employee of the CP (or an employee of the legal entity that employs the supervising CP).

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.