starsky

I-751 February 2018 Filers

2,688 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, AShaM said:

So, when you guys say that the extension  letter expires in September what it means?

Does it mean that extension letter begins after the green card expires or starts when you received it?

My green card expired end of March 2018

The extension letter starts from the expiry date of the conditional green card, mine will be end of September 2019. as it's an 18 month extension letter.

1 hour ago, Tween said:

Pray? lol. It's frustrating, I'm supposed to be visiting the fam in Sept/Oct but at this rate it won't happen because I've checked all the field offices in the surrounding states and none of them are accepting appointments or walk-ins, so apparently getting your passport stamped anywhere in the midwest just ain't happening.

Heh Tween what are we supposed to do if we don't get approved before September and can't get an infopass appointment.

55 minutes ago, redstripe54 said:

Heh Tween what are we supposed to do if we don't get approved before September and can't get an infopass appointment.

You still have permanent resident status, you just won't have the evidence of it. I believe the process is to call the main USCIS number when you have < 30 days remaining and ask for appointment, and they will then call you back to schedule an appointment. YMMV on where that appt is though.

2 hours ago, ikeac said:

What was the last movement on your case? Any updates after the RFE? Did you have biometrics, applied for N-400?

Last movement on my case was 7/16 when I had my biometrics, but looking at the USCIS websites the last update was Feb 20, 2018, "Application received." 

1 hour ago, AShaM said:

So, when you guys say that the extension  letter expires in September what it means?

Does it mean that extension letter begins after the green card expires or starts when you received it?

The extension begins the date the green card expires, so if you card expired Mar 18 then the 18mo extension is up this September.

1 minute ago, MassSteff said:

You still have permanent resident status, you just won't have the evidence of it. I believe the process is to call the main USCIS number when you have < 30 days remaining and ask for appointment, and they will then call you back to schedule an appointment. YMMV on where that appt is though.

Pretty sure we're required to have proof of status on us at all times, especially in the current climate. Without the card and extension letter, we need the stamp. I looked into getting an appointment at my local USCIS field office because I'm coming up on that <30 days and wanted to be prepared, but apparently no field offices within 5 states of me accept either InfoPass appointments or walk-ins 😕 I'll give the USCIS a call this week though to see ####### we're supposed to do in these circumstances.

59 minutes ago, redstripe54 said:

::shrug::

20 Dec 2012 -- Met // 31 Jan 2014 -- Engaged! // 01 Oct 2014 -- I-129 application // 03 Sep 2015 -- APPROVED!! // 13 Oct 2015 -- POE Chicago // 26th Oct 2015 -- Married! // 09 Dec 2015 -- AOS filed // 26 Mar 2016 -- AOS approved! // 10 Feb 2018 — ROC filed // 1 Aug 2019 — ROC approved

3 minutes ago, Tween said:

Pretty sure we're required to have proof of status on us at all times, especially in the current climate. Without the card and extension letter, we need the stamp. I looked into getting an appointment at my local USCIS field office because I'm coming up on that <30 days and wanted to be prepared, but apparently no field offices within 5 states of me accept either InfoPass appointments or walk-ins 😕 I'll give the USCIS a call this week though to see ####### we're supposed to do in these circumstances.

Good luck, Jul18 filer myself, I think I'd be climbing the walls if I get to March next year and still waiting. :(

I'm a bit confused. Still no activity on my case whatsoever. I can't submit outside process time either.

Since the extension letter will expire in a few months, I looked at info pass appointments, and this is what the site says for my local office (Boston)

This office is not accepting walk-in requests or scheduling InfoPass appointments.

What are we supposed to do then? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline

My wife just had her N-400 interview last week during which time the officer stated that he should have her I-751 approved in the next week or two (she passed her citizenship exam). So our hope is we will be done with USCIS prior to her letter expiring in October. 

But I did check out the field offices in Atlanta, Baltimore, Norfolk, North Carolina, and Pittsburgh (all within relative driving distance) and our local DC office. None said they do walk in or scheduling for infopass. 

So I don't know, and I hope not to find out. 

2 hours ago, fascinating123 said:

My wife just had her N-400 interview last week during which time the officer stated that he should have her I-751 approved in the next week or two (she passed her citizenship exam). So our hope is we will be done with USCIS prior to her letter expiring in October. 

But I did check out the field offices in Atlanta, Baltimore, Norfolk, North Carolina, and Pittsburgh (all within relative driving distance) and our local DC office. None said they do walk in or scheduling for infopass. 

You need to call USCIS to make an infopass appointment. They will take care of which field office you need to go to. 

2 hours ago, fascinating123 said:

Yeah I checked St Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Wichita, and Omaha and none of them are accepting infopass/walk-ins either.

27 minutes ago, drmo said:

You need to call USCIS to make an infopass appointment. They will take care of which field office you need to go to. 

You should be able to schedule an appointment at https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/us but as we're discovering, that's not possible.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out.

20 Dec 2012 -- Met // 31 Jan 2014 -- Engaged! // 01 Oct 2014 -- I-129 application // 03 Sep 2015 -- APPROVED!! // 13 Oct 2015 -- POE Chicago // 26th Oct 2015 -- Married! // 09 Dec 2015 -- AOS filed // 26 Mar 2016 -- AOS approved! // 10 Feb 2018 — ROC filed // 1 Aug 2019 — ROC approved

1 minute ago, Tween said:

Yeah I checked St Louis, Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, Wichita, and Omaha and none of them are accepting infopass/walk-ins either.

You should be able to schedule an appointment at https://my.uscis.gov/en/appointment/us but as we're discovering, that's not possible.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and hopefully they can figure it out.

When I wanted to make my appointment, on the website it said my local office was not accepting infopass appointment. When I called USCIS, they took my phone number and someone from the office called me and made an appointment for me. That's why I mentioned you need to call USCIS :)

For what it's worth,  I checked Minneapolis/St Paul, Duluth, Fargo, and Sioux Falls. None of them are accepting appointments/walk-ins either. Hopefully calling will get those of you waiting some results.

K1 and AOS:

Spoiler

K1 visa:

18 November, 2014: Sent I-129F

24 November, 2014: Email/text notification of NOA1

26 January, 2015: RFE hard copy

27 January, 2015: Sent RFE response

3 February, 2015: Email/text notification of NOA2

15 April, 2015: K1 interview

11 May, 2015: Fiancee entered US on K-1

22 May, 2015: Got married!

AOS:

15 June, 2015: Sent AOS, EAD, and AP

23 June, 2015: Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP

17 July, 2015: AOS biometrics appointment

28 August, 2015: Received EAD and AP

11 March, 2016: Received interview letter for AOS interview

7 April, 2016: AOS interview. Recommended for approval

13 April, 2016: Received RFE

21, April, 2016: Mailed RFE response

5 May, 2016: I-485 application approved

ROC:

5 February, 2018: Sent I-751

9 February, 2018: NOA1

12 May, 2018: Biometrics waived. USCIS will reuse old fingerprints.

18 August, 2018: 18 month extension

21 February, 2019: ROC approved

1 March, 2019: Green Card received

N-400

31 March, 2019: Submitted N-400 online

23 April, 2019: Biometrics appointment

25 November, 2019: N-400 interview

14 January, 2020: Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It's a little scary to see none of these service centers accepting appointments, but then again, it doesn't really make sense. That's a LOT of service centers, both Midwest and east code. When trying to open that webpage to schedule an appointment and enter my zip-code, it spins for a few seconds then I get "There was an issue with your request. Please try again."

So I'm guessing there's some behind the scenes issue going on and as others have noted, you'll probably have to call in order to get an appointment. I called a while back in anticipation of my wife having to schedule an appointment down the road, and they asked for my zip code and told us we'd have to go to the Minneapolis/St Paul, even though we live in Wisconsin and are about an hour closer to Milwaukee (not to mention for biometrics they schedule us at Milwaukee).

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

September 2015- Applied for AOS

September 30th- Biometrics Appointment

November 2015- Advanced Parole/ Employment Authorization Received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Yemen
Timeline
12 hours ago, drmo said:

Yeah I checked online. It looks like they are just changing the system to make people call first before making an appointment. They're trying to cut down on the number of people coming into the field offices.

4 hours ago, Danielle and Jake said:

It's a little scary to see none of these service centers accepting appointments, but then again, it doesn't really make sense. That's a LOT of service centers, both Midwest and east code. When trying to open that webpage to schedule an appointment and enter my zip-code, it spins for a few seconds then I get "There was an issue with your request. Please try again."

So I'm guessing there's some behind the scenes issue going on and as others have noted, you'll probably have to call in order to get an appointment. I called a while back in anticipation of my wife having to schedule an appointment down the road, and they asked for my zip code and told us we'd have to go to the Minneapolis/St Paul, even though we live in Wisconsin and are about an hour closer to Milwaukee (not to mention for biometrics they schedule us at Milwaukee).

After reading this thread, I looked it up. Apparently USCIS tested out the idea of getting rid of the Infopass appointments entirely. After seeing the results, they've decided to enact the program nationwide. So after September 2019 there will no longer be InfoPass appointments at all. The process going forward will be to call and the associate on the phone will decide if it needs to be escalated to another officer or if an in-person appointment needs to be made (i.e. for a passport stamp). So their grand plan is to funnel everyone into the phone service and go from there. This is really only a problem because of the number of backlogged I-751 cases that are taking 1-2 years or more to adjudicate instead of 6-8 months.

14 hours ago, Danielle and Jake said:

USCIS's rational is that due to high volume of unnecessary and frivolous inquires that are made by petitioners, which could have been resolved, they have longer processing time when USCIS officers should spend more time on reviewing cases, so again their rational is that by limiting access to USCIS, it is expected that USCIS officers can significantly reduce processing time and better serve immigrants. 

I understand its rationals, but well, let me put it this way... 

US healthcare is the most rationalized healthcare system in the world, but after all the rationals, average Americans spend more money than British Royal family when giving a birth in OBGYN.

In other words, one rational makes sense, but dozens of hundreds rationals don't make sense. 

Now the question is I don't know if limiting infopass access will actually result in processing time reduction. Time will only tell.... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the extra info guys, that makes a little more sense now (well I mean I agree with your guys' sentiment, but from their perspective and rational, that makes sense). I guess I'm curious what all these extra appointments and whatnot were for?

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

September 2015- Applied for AOS

September 30th- Biometrics Appointment

November 2015- Advanced Parole/ Employment Authorization Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.