WillMcK

K1 Visa how to get started?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hey Team I hope all is well

My Fiance and I currently living in Australia.

I am from New Zealand, She is from the USA(bay area) She is moving back to the US at the end of the year for good. How do I move over with her using the K1 Visa?

I have a degree in Computer Sciences and a good job if this helps.

We have a  wedding date may 4th in the US

We meet during a study abroad back in 2010 have been together for ever since (7 years or so) if that helps and we have currently been living together for a year and a half. 

I have been to the US to visit her and her family 6 to 7 times while we were dating long distance and another 3 times with her while we have been living together with 2 more trips planed this year. 

Thank you and have a great day :) 

Edited by WillMcK

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A May 4th wedding probably won't work. It takes 8-12 months for a K1 visa right now. My fiance and me applied back in June and he still hasn't has his interview yet. And if you are to marry during the K1 visa, you will have to withdraw the K1 petition and restart on the CR1 visa

If you're going to have a wedding in May, get marry first and then file for CR1 (12-14 months process). It's cheaper and you will be able to work right away.

How are you going to marry in may and do the fiancé visa?

Please tell me you haven’t booked and paid for may wedding thinking it will be processed by then?

or did you mean may 2019?

Edited by Illiria

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

You are going to have to re-evaluate your plans. You will not get a visa by May of this year. Average times for the K1 are 9 - 12 months.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Timeline
5 hours ago, britishandusa said:

A May 4th wedding probably won't work. It takes 8-12 months for a K1 visa right now. My fiance and me applied back in June and he still hasn't has his interview yet. And if you are to marry during the K1 visa, you will have to withdraw the K1 petition and restart on the CR1 visa. 

If you're going to have a wedding in May, get marry first and then file for CR1 (12-14 months process). It's cheaper and you will be able to work right away.

4 hours ago, Illiria said:

Please tell me you haven’t booked and paid for may wedding thinking it will be processed by then?

4 hours ago, Illiria said:

sorry sorry let me edit. may 2019. defs not 2018 hahah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
9 hours ago, WillMcK said:

Currently, it is taking 6-8 months for your application to be approved, about a month to two months National Visa Center, then it'll go to the Embassy (varies per country) for an interview. Once your visa is in hand, you have six months to enter the US with that visa and then 90 days to marry once you set foot on American soil. So if you're set on a May wedding next year, you might have to wait to file your K1 visa to line up with your wedding date. Personally, I wouldn't plan a wedding until your visa is in hand when it comes to a K1 visa because nothing is ever guaranteed. If you don't want to change the wedding date, I'd just marry next year and then file for a CR1 then.

Here is a guide on how to apply:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

You have to marry within 90 days of entering the country on a K1 so if your wedding date is May 4th then you will want to enter the country a couple of months before that - I wouldn't recommend timing it so that you are right at the end of the 90 days because you could end up missing the deadline. 

That means if your fiancee is moving at the end of this year, you won't be able to move over with her - you would be moving end of Feb/beginning of March. 

You have six months from getting the visa (usually tied to your medical date) to enter using the visa. So again - don't leave it until the day before the deadline but work backwards. If you get your visa in hand anywhere from the beginning of October onwards, you will be able to meet your March deadline of entry ahead of your May deadline of wedding. 

As it's taking anywhere from 8-12 months right now to get the K1 you could apply in February to be comfortable for the timeline above - if things move a little faster there are places you can slow down the process - delaying interview date etc to keep on track. 

HOWEVER!!!!

You never know what's going to happen with both your individual case and/or the general waiting times for US visa. 

- you could experience serious delays in your own case or the whole system can just slow down. 

- you might get a crazy surprise and be approved a lot faster than expected 

So no one on here is going to be able to reassure you about definite timings. 

The above option looks doable at this point in time. And if you can't be bothered with all the possible timing delays to get your entry spot on for the above schedule then you could apply for the K1 now - process it all as speedily as possible. Move over with your fiance at the end of the year. Do a quick, legal wedding as soon as you enter, and then have the May 4th date be a blessing / wedding party celebration. That will allow you to get the AOS processing started and you'll be closer to being able to work etc.

Edited by Trellick

12 hours ago, WillMcK said:

That’s good, ok do follow advice above on timings then 😁

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Timeline
7 hours ago, Trellick said:

You have to marry within 90 days of entering the country on a K1 so if your wedding date is May 4th then you will want to enter the country a couple of months before that - I wouldn't recommend timing it so that you are right at the end of the 90 days because you could end up missing the deadline. 

That means if your fiancee is moving at the end of this year, you won't be able to move over with her - you would be moving end of Feb/beginning of March. 

You have six months from getting the visa (usually tied to your medical date) to enter using the visa. So again - don't leave it until the day before the deadline but work backwards. If you get your visa in hand anywhere from the beginning of October onwards, you will be able to meet your March deadline of entry ahead of your May deadline of wedding. 

As it's taking anywhere from 8-12 months right now to get the K1 you could apply in February to be comfortable for the timeline above - if things move a little faster there are places you can slow down the process - delaying interview date etc to keep on track. 

HOWEVER!!!!

You never know what's going to happen with both your individual case and/or the general waiting times for US visa. 

- you could experience serious delays in your own case or the whole system can just slow down. 

- you might get a crazy surprise and be approved a lot faster than expected 

So no one on here is going to be able to reassure you about definite timings. 

The above option looks doable at this point in time. And if you can't be bothered with all the possible timing delays to get your entry spot on for the above schedule then you could apply for the K1 now - process it all as speedily as possible. Move over with your fiance at the end of the year. Do a quick, legal wedding as soon as you enter, and then have the May 4th date be a blessing / wedding party celebration. That will allow you to get the AOS processing started and you'll be closer to being able to work etc.

Thank you so much this is amazing info

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.