Toby and Quennie

Green Card & SSN

13 posts in this topic

My filipina wife arrived in the U.S. on September 9th, 2017.  The day after she arrived, I contacted USCIS and changed my address of record.  This way her Green Card would be mailed to our new address.  After some time, I received a notice from the USCIS regarding the fee that needed to be paid in order to process her green card.  When I received this notice, and the day before I paid the fees online, I changed our address in the USCIS system to reflect our new address (just in case they did not change it in the system when we called the day after she had arrived).  The following day after electronically changing our address in the USCIS system, I went online and paid the requisite fees to have her green card processed.  Several days later, we received an update status online that stated that the green card had been mailed, that we would receive it in approximately 4 weeks, and that if we did not receive the green card in those 4 weeks, to contact USCIS.  About a month later, sometime in late December of 2017, the online case status update message stated that the green card had been returned to sender (apparently, even though we had done everything we had done to make sure that USCIS had the correct address on file).  We immediately contacted USCIS by phone and again updated the address with the case worker.  The case worker stated that the green card would again be mailed to the new address.  Fast forward 4 weeks, and guess what!?  Still no green card.

If I understand correctly, I need the green card in order to request the SSN, and I need the SSN in order to file my taxes!!

Now what?  Not sure what in the world to do next!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Toby and Quennie said:

My filipina wife arrived in the U.S. on September 9th, 2017.  The day after she arrived, I contacted USCIS and changed my address of record.  This way her Green Card would be mailed to our new address.  After some time, I received a notice from the USCIS regarding the fee that needed to be paid in order to process her green card.  When I received this notice, and the day before I paid the fees online, I changed our address in the USCIS system to reflect our new address (just in case they did not change it in the system when we called the day after she had arrived).  The following day after electronically changing our address in the USCIS system, I went online and paid the requisite fees to have her green card processed.  Several days later, we received an update status online that stated that the green card had been mailed, that we would receive it in approximately 4 weeks, and that if we did not receive the green card in those 4 weeks, to contact USCIS.  About a month later, sometime in late December of 2017, the online case status update message stated that the green card had been returned to sender (apparently, even though we had done everything we had done to make sure that USCIS had the correct address on file).  We immediately contacted USCIS by phone and again updated the address with the case worker.  The case worker stated that the green card would again be mailed to the new address.  Fast forward 4 weeks, and guess what!?  Still no green card.

If I understand correctly, I need the green card in order to request the SSN, and I need the SSN in order to file my taxes!!

Now what?  Not sure what in the world to do next!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

You do not need to request the SS card it was requested already through USCIS after your wife entered the USA.    It may have been sent to the wrong address as well ... contact SSA.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Hank!

Thanks for the help.

What in the world do I do to get this green card?  Her Visa expires in February, do I need to worry about anything here?

Thanks,

Toby

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Toby and Quennie said:

Hank!

Thanks for the help.

What in the world do I do to get this green card?  Her Visa expires in February, do I need to worry about anything here?

Thanks,

Toby

Her visa became invalid the moment she entered the country.  She arrived as immediately became a resident

YMMV

Thanks for the information.  So, do I need the green card before we contact the social security administration?

Thanks!

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Toby and Quennie said:

Hank!

Thanks for the help.

Thanks,

Toby

As already stated the visa expired upon entry.  There is an I-551 stamp in your wife's  passport, this is a green card stamp valid for 1 year.

As for your green card it is obvious that USCIS has not been sending your GC to your current address

https://egov.uscis.gov/coa/displayCOAInitForm.do;jsessionid=A87E8C48D60A7C51EF2EEA9309050496

1 minute ago, Toby and Quennie said:

Thanks for the information.  So, do I need the green card before we contact the social security administration?

Thanks!

You should be able to call them and ask about the status of the card.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Thanks, Hank!

I have already submitted this change of address using the link your provided.  I did this back in October....no dice.  Should I just go ahead and resubmit the change of address and then contact USCIS to remail the green card once again?  Getting answers from those people is almost impossible!

Thanks again,

Toby

Timeline
Just now, Toby and Quennie said:

Thanks, Hank!

I have already submitted this change of address using the link your provided.  I did this back in October....no dice.  Should I just go ahead and resubmit the change of address and then contact USCIS to remail the green card once again?  Getting answers from those people is almost impossible!

Thanks again,

Toby

I would ... it is very annoying for sure.    I would follow up with a phone call and get them to confirm the address they have on record.    I think the problem is, the department that handles the processing of the GC isn't being updated with your address.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

If you didn't request to have your SSN sent to your US Address when you submitted D260 then you can visit a local Social Security Office.  You will need your foreign passport with the immigrant visa stamp.  They will ask you to fill up a form then you will receive your social security card a week after.  I opted to have it sent to my address so when I arrived in the US on October 19, 2017, they had mailed me an ss card printed on October 24, 2017.

• 2 months later...

We did finally go to social security office and apply for her SSN.  Took her passport, etc, with us.  No problems.  I'm not sure why I was under the impression that she needed to have received her green card before applying for SSN.

On another note, we STILL have NOT received wife's green card.  Fees were paid in october.  Mailed to wrong address.  Waiting since December for another one to be mailed out.  Unfortunately, we closed on our new home last thursday, and now we have moved again.

Just curious if we need to make an appointment with USCIS and go in and have a face to face meeting to get this green card issue straight.

Any helps is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Timeline
8 hours ago, Toby and Quennie said:

We did finally go to social security office and apply for her SSN.  Took her passport, etc, with us.  No problems.  I'm not sure why I was under the impression that she needed to have received her green card before applying for SSN.

On another note, we STILL have NOT received wife's green card.  Fees were paid in october.  Mailed to wrong address.  Waiting since December for another one to be mailed out.  Unfortunately, we closed on our new home last thursday, and now we have moved again.

Just curious if we need to make an appointment with USCIS and go in and have a face to face meeting to get this green card issue straight.

Any helps is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

You are IR/CR-1 the SSN application was sent to  SSA by USCIS upon your wife's arrival in the USA, very likely that card was delivered to the wrong address and returned also.

BTW there is a 551 stamp in your wife's passport ... that IS a "green card" valid for one year.

And yes it may be good to get an infopass to your local USCIS office.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.