Tracey&Greg

Moving yay!

6 posts in this topic

My hubby and I are moving in the next couple of months to Maryland from Alabama. I'm just curious if anyone knows of any UK type places restraunts / grocery stores exist up that way? We're super excited about the change since my hubby has been nothing but a novelty since he moved to Alabama. I'm just hoping he feels more home like being on the east coast. 

Many Thanks 💜

I can understand feeling a bit out of place or something of a novelty here. I'm British and live in a small community in the Cascade mountains where people think Seattle is foreign enough (and that's only 1.5 hours away) and they look at me like I have three heads when I speak...

But wouldn't it be better for him to try and adjust to this new way of life? Yes, I buy the odd bar of Cadbury's and look for some British tv series to watch online but buying British groceries and going to British restaurants? Not for me. This is my home now. Isn't he having fun trying new things? Does he not feel that this is home? I think it's futile to try and find things to recreate the way of life in the U.K. because it will only lead to disappointment as it will never be the same as he remembered it. How long has he been here? Is he working? I have to say that going to work was one of the biggest helps for me in adjusting and settling in. And now my job is so busy I don't have time to feel homesick anymore. 😂

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

53 minutes ago, JFH said:

I can understand feeling a bit out of place or something of a novelty here. I'm British and live in a small community in the Cascade mountains where people think Seattle is foreign enough (and that's only 1.5 hours away) and they look at me like I have three heads when I speak...

But wouldn't it be better for him to try and adjust to this new way of life? Yes, I buy the odd bar of Cadbury's and look for some British tv series to watch online but buying British groceries and going to British restaurants? Not for me. This is my home now. Isn't he having fun trying new things? Does he not feel that this is home? I think it's futile to try and find things to recreate the way of life in the U.K. because it will only lead to disappointment as it will never be the same as he remembered it. How long has he been here? Is he working? I have to say that going to work was one of the biggest helps for me in adjusting and settling in. And now my job is so busy I don't have time to feel homesick anymore. 😂

lol I can totally understand the looking like you have three heads. I feel like a translator for him sometimes when we go out and when people ask me what country he's from I stress he's from England and speaks English lol lord love him and his northern accent. He always he's home when he's with me and our kids but I always try to do a little extra for him just because seeing an Englishman smile is rare in itself but I love him too pieces and love making him happy even if includes buying a Yorkie bar and have him tease me saying it's not for girls lol. 

He's been here almost 5 years in September and we're moving because of his job so he's pretty excited and myself about that. He loves change and welcomes new challenges. He's my opposite whose stuck in her ways 😂

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hey, have a great move! Sounds exciting.

I personally am basking in my attention as an Englishman in Texas. I am suddenly one of the popular kids, after decades of being a nobody. When people say "Where are you from?", I answer "Dallas". That gets them every time.  

:whistle:

13 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

Hey, have a great move! Sounds exciting.

I personally am basking in my attention as an Englishman in Texas. I am suddenly one of the popular kids, after decades of being a nobody. When people say "Where are you from?", I answer "Dallas". That gets them every time.  

:whistle:

lmao! Omg my hubby feels exactly the same way. He's a big geek and nerd at heart and now all of a sudden everyone wants to be his friend. He'll do that when people ask where he's from and he'll reply down the road,confuses them. Or if someone will ask if they have such and such a thing in England and that's when his natural sarcasm comes out and he'll say something like "oh and have colored TV and electricity in England too! It's brilliant!" and the poor person talking to him thinks he's the most charming person they've ever met. 😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.