d3si.h3art

Green Card Middle Name/Initial Missing

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I just received my 10-year GC after i-751 approval. 

My previous green card (2 year) had my full middle name in back of the card and middle initial in front of the card in Given name. The new 10 year green card is missing middle name and middle name initial from both these areas. 

Do both Green Cards need to match? I’ll be applying for US citizenship next month, will I have any problems with N-400 process or will take longer to process or RFE and such? 

My SSN and Driving License shows my middle initial name. 

My DL is expiring in May 2018, will I have problem renewing it with my 10 year green card with no middle name initial?

I’ll have my SSN updated, once I have the US passport. I haven’t decided yet but I’ll mostly have my full middle name in my US Passport, will i have problem updating it to my SSN? 

Hi, congrats on your 10 year Green Card!

Do you know if your ceremony will be judicial or administrative? If it's judicial you can change or adjust your name and add your middle name back. In this case it wouldn't matter how your Green Cards show it since you give them up anyway. In your application write your name how it shows in your official document from your birth country (passport, birth certificate etc) and how you always filled out your applications so far. It is possible that the Immigration officer has you sign a name change form in order to show your full name including middle name.

What do you mean with middle initial name on your DL/SSN card? Do you mean just the initial or the middle name? How do you want your SSN card to be updated? With middle name, just intial or without? How is it now? Again I didn't understand your middle initial name comment.

Your DL should be renewed in the same way your current one is. So it should show the name the same. I could be mistaken since I had a limited term DL with my conditional GC and I had to show my 10 year GC to get a regular DL. I'm not sure how your state handles it.

See, I had just a first name and a last name. Since my ceremony was jucidial, I added a middle name because I always wanted one but in my birth country it was nearly impossible to change your name that way. After my ceremony I received a court document showing my name change and I updated my SSN card and DL to show my full middle name and applied for my US passport with my full name including the new middle name. I also updated my credit cards and bank accounts too :) 

Let me know if you have questions.

Timeline
On 1/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, little immigrant said:

Hi, congrats on your 10 year Green Card!

Do you know if your ceremony will be judicial or administrative? If it's judicial you can change or adjust your name and add your middle name back. In this case it wouldn't matter how your Green Cards show it since you give them up anyway. In your application write your name how it shows in your official document from your birth country (passport, birth certificate etc) and how you always filled out your applications so far. It is possible that the Immigration officer has you sign a name change form in order to show your full name including middle name.

What do you mean with middle initial name on your DL/SSN card? Do you mean just the initial or the middle name? How do you want your SSN card to be updated? With middle name, just intial or without? How is it now? Again I didn't understand your middle initial name comment.

Your DL should be renewed in the same way your current one is. So it should show the name the same. I could be mistaken since I had a limited term DL with my conditional GC and I had to show my 10 year GC to get a regular DL. I'm not sure how your state handles it.

See, I had just a first name and a last name. Since my ceremony was jucidial, I added a middle name because I always wanted one but in my birth country it was nearly impossible to change your name that way. After my ceremony I received a court document showing my name change and I updated my SSN card and DL to show my full middle name and applied for my US passport with my full name including the new middle name. I also updated my credit cards and bank accounts too :) 

Let me know if you have questions.

Thank you  @little immigrant  :) Thanks for the detailed explanation and I appreciate your time writing back.

I could have worded the questions better :) 

Let’s say for example my name is Alpa Maheshbhai Patel and that’s what I have been using to fill all the forms. 

Alpa - First Name

Maheshbhai - Middle Name

Patel - Last Name

In spite of writing the full name in all the forms like I-130, I-485 etc. - Alpa Maheshbhai Patel - my initial conditional 2 year green card came with Alpa M Patel, so both my SSN & DL have Alpa M Patel. 

I wrote full name in I-751 form as well - Alpa Maheshbhai Patel - but the 10 year green card that I just received has only Alpa Patel. The middle name initial ‘M’ is missing. 

1. Will there be any problems with N-400 process for names not matching (Alpa M Patel vs Alpa Patel)? If there could be a problem, I can have the 10 year green card corrected first before applying for N-400. Maybe I am just thinking too much. :) 

2. My DL should be renewed in the same way my current one is. But, My current DL has middle name initial ’M’ because of that 2 year conditional green card, But 10 year green card doesn’t have middle name initial. Will there be any problem renewing my DL which expire in like 2 -3 months from now? I am in NJ, I just hope DMV people don't give me hard time lol

I'll be filling N-400 next month. The final goal is to have US Passport, SSN & DL to show full name - Alpa Maheshbhai Patel.

Thanks again :) 

Edited by d3si.h3art

I don't think there should be a problem with your N400 application. You will show then the conditional and permanent card at the interview and they will see your middle name/initial on the first one. Don't dispose of it. They might take it at your interview or at latest at your ceremony. If you have a copy of your I-751 I would bring it to the interview as well. My officer asked for my I-90 replacement application. I would not go through the hassle of trying to replace the card. 

As for the DMV it's difficult to predict. Every state is different and then every person processing your DL is different. If I were you I would bring both my Green cards and my passport to show them my full name.

If everything fails you can always change or adjust your name through court after you're naturalized and then get the DL and SSN replaced. :)

Will you apply for the N400 by mail or online? 

Edited by little immigrant

Timeline
20 hours ago, little immigrant said:

I don't think there should be a problem with your N400 application. You will show then the conditional and permanent card at the interview and they will see your middle name/initial on the first one. Don't dispose of it. They might take it at your interview or at latest at your ceremony. If you have a copy of your I-751 I would bring it to the interview as well. My officer asked for my I-90 replacement application. I would not go through the hassle of trying to replace the card. 

As for the DMV it's difficult to predict. Every state is different and then every person processing your DL is different. If I were you I would bring both my Green cards and my passport to show them my full name.

If everything fails you can always change or adjust your name through court after you're naturalized and then get the DL and SSN replaced. :)

Will you apply for the N400 by mail or online? 

Thank you @little immigrant for sharing your experiences :) 

I'll make sure to bring both the green cards and copy of I-751 to the interview. I started reading about I-90 and found some horrible stories here on VJ that it took them months to get the replacement and such. So, I won't be replacing my green card. Thanks to you :) 

About DMV, that's a good idea - I'll bring both my Green cards and my passport to show them my full name. 

I haven't researched much about N-400 just yet. What do you think is better from your experience - by mail or online? How long does it take to be naturalized from the day of application? I am planning to apply for N-400 around mid February after my application window opens. 

On 1/16/2018 at 3:00 PM, d3si.h3art said:

Thank you @little immigrant for sharing your experiences :) 

I'll make sure to bring both the green cards and copy of I-751 to the interview. I started reading about I-90 and found some horrible stories here on VJ that it took them months to get the replacement and such. So, I won't be replacing my green card. Thanks to you :) 

About DMV, that's a good idea - I'll bring both my Green cards and my passport to show them my full name. 

I haven't researched much about N-400 just yet. What do you think is better from your experience - by mail or online? How long does it take to be naturalized from the day of application? I am planning to apply for N-400 around mid February after my application window opens. 

My naturalization took a year. I mailed it in. I hear that online goes faster. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, little immigrant said:

My naturalization took a year. I mailed it in. I hear that online goes faster. 

Thank you @little immigrant :) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.