5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi VJ community,

Due to the US embassy closing in Cuba I'm not sure if we should get married here in Cuba or if we should tie the knot in the USA. In Cuba it seems a bit complicated for a non- Cuban to get married here in Cuba to a Cuban. I have to translate my birth certificate and have a Consular of Cuba in the USA put a seal on it. Aside from that it's $725 bit they handle getting the documents legalized for international use. Either way I know he has to go to Columbia for the medical exam and the interview but I'm just curious as to which way is better and more secure so that we can be together. Thank you

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

I was married in Cuba. I am a non Cuban who married a Cuban. It was expensive and a lot of paperwork. I had to have my birth Certificate translated into Spanish and everything legalized through the Cuban embassy. That was pricey. I also had to pay around $800 to get the marriage license in Cuba and have my documents approved to be used for our marriage. Then we paid for the wedding photos and party with the family. It was nice because his family was able to be a part of everything, but was an expensive process. 

Timeline
On 1/3/2018 at 7:48 PM, Nessa87 said:

Hi VJ community,

Due to the US embassy closing in Cuba I'm not sure if we should get married here in Cuba or if we should tie the knot in the USA. In Cuba it seems a bit complicated for a non- Cuban to get married here in Cuba to a Cuban. I have to translate my birth certificate and have a Consular of Cuba in the USA put a seal on it. Aside from that it's $725 bit they handle getting the documents legalized for international use. Either way I know he has to go to Columbia for the medical exam and the interview but I'm just curious as to which way is better and more secure so that we can be together. Thank you

The process for the K1 has started to pick up for Cubans. The interview is in Bogotá, Colombia. Once your application is approved the case is sent to Colombia instead of Havana. What changes is that now the Cuban goes to Colombia for medical, fingerprints and interview. They will also have to apply for a Colombian visa. I believe you still have to go through that process with the CR-1. So it will be the cost of the wedding there plus bringing the person to Colombia. Pros with CR-1 is that they get the green card and can start working right away and you don't have to worry about adjusting status after the k1. 

Timeline
46 minutes ago, DeAnna and Jorge said:

I was married in Cuba. I am a non Cuban who married a Cuban. It was expensive and a lot of paperwork. I had to have my birth Certificate translated into Spanish and everything legalized through the Cuban embassy. That was pricey. I also had to pay around $800 to get the marriage license in Cuba and have my documents approved to be used for our marriage. Then we paid for the wedding photos and party with the family. It was nice because his family was able to be a part of everything, but was an expensive process. 

Thank you! That's the route I'm going to go. 

30 minutes ago, YandJ said:

The process for the K1 has started to pick up for Cubans. The interview is in Bogotá, Colombia. Once your application is approved the case is sent to Colombia instead of Havana. What changes is that now the Cuban goes to Colombia for medical, fingerprints and interview. They will also have to apply for a Colombian visa. I believe you still have to go through that process with the CR-1. So it will be the cost of the wedding there plus bringing the person to Colombia. Pros with CR-1 is that they get the green card and can start working right away and you don't have to worry about adjusting status after the k1. 

Thank you!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
11 hours ago, Nessa87 said:

Thank you! That's the route I'm going to go. 

Thank you!!

You are welcome! I hope everything goes smoothly!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.