delicatehooligan

Global Entry while waiting on RoC

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Just had my first international trip after the GC's original expiration date and the kiosk didn't recognize it. Officer told me I wouldn't be able to use Global Entry until I get my new Green Card, but I've seen a few posts here saying that they got it to keep working. I travel internationally for work more often than I'd like to, so that would be absolutely great.

What has your experience been like? If you got it to work, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
21 minutes ago, awfulcode said:

Hey guys,

Just had my first international trip after the GC's original expiration date and the kiosk didn't recognize it. Officer told me I wouldn't be able to use Global Entry until I get my new Green Card, but I've seen a few posts here saying that they got it to keep working. I travel internationally for work more often than I'd like to, so that would be absolutely great.

What has your experience been like? If you got it to work, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Unfortunately that is true. I got into the GC's system and updated the expiration date to the one year extension letter, but the kiosk rejected it. I sent an email to the CPB Customer Service Center and they incorrectly told me there would be no problem.

Also, I was told to fill out the customs declaration too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Portugal
Timeline

My wife applied for GE for the first time during RoC (by adding one year to the GC expiration date—we had been worried about that, but the application went through no problem with the "extended" date). What she does each time she re-enters the US is she tries the kiosk, it doesn't work, and then she goes directly to the front of the line to get processed by an officer without having to wait in the regular line. So yeah, it's a bit of a slow-down, but still somewhat faster than not having GE in the first place.

3 minutes ago, AK_2014 said:

My wife applied for GE for the first time during RoC (by adding one year to the GC expiration date—we had been worried about that, but the application went through no problem with the "extended" date). What she does each time she re-enters the US is she tries the kiosk, it doesn't work, and then she goes directly to the front of the line to get processed by an officer without having to wait in the regular line. So yeah, it's a bit of a slow-down, but still somewhat faster than not having GE in the first place.

And does she still fill the customs form manually?

For those of you who have Global Entry and are using the letter or stamp for international travel, are you still able to use the TSA Pre service while traveling domestically without any issue? Is it correct to say that the Global Entry/TSA Pre statuse itself does not get interrupted, it's just more of a kiosk issue when coming back through customs? TIA

Timeline
8 minutes ago, LTGermany said:

For those of you who have Global Entry and are using the letter or stamp for international travel, are you still able to use the TSA Pre service while traveling domestically without any issue? Is it correct to say that the Global Entry/TSA Pre statuse itself does not get interrupted, it's just more of a kiosk issue when coming back through customs? TIA

Yes I noticed on his Boarding Pass , he had pre-check though of course it doesn't apply to domestic flights. However, the Immigration Office directed him to the back of the line and asked him to fill out the Customs form. The mess our immigration is in is mind-boggling!!

Timeline
13 minutes ago, LTGermany said:

TSA Pre-check has been working 100% fine, thank goodness.

14 minutes ago, LTGermany said:

TSA Precheck is not affected.

When entering the US on extension letter (and now on passport stamp), I go to GE kiosk, pretend I don't know it won't work, then talk to officer (cuts time significantly instead of going to regular line).

And yes, customs blue form needs to be filled out with pen, unfortunately.

Once you get new Green Card, you will have to go to a GE interview location to have them scan the new Green Card and update the system before being able to use the GE kiosks again.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

However, the Immigration Office directed him to the back of the line and asked him to fill out the Customs form. The mess our immigration is in is mind-boggling!!

That's frustrating. Has he considered bringing along the Global Entry card, not to use it in the kiosk (because it doesn't work there), but to show any officers present that he does in fact have GE and should be able to go to the front of the line?

Timeline
Just now, AK_2014 said:

That's frustrating. Has he considered bringing along the Global Entry card, not to use it in the kiosk (because it doesn't work there), but to show any officers present that he does in fact have GE and should be able to go to the front of the line?

Yep. The IOs response." Yes but your Resident Card has expired.

THEN at Customs the Officer asked us why a separate Customs form (I used the print out of course from GC). Spouse said 'Expired GC' The Officer said..ah you are causing trouble huh in a joking form. I had no idea what to say back......

Timeline
6 minutes ago, sddude89 said:

TSA Precheck is not affected.

When entering the US on extension letter (and now on passport stamp), I go to GE kiosk, pretend I don't know it won't work, then talk to officer (cuts time significantly instead of going to regular line).

And yes, customs blue form needs to be filled out with pen, unfortunately.

Once you get new Green Card, you will have to go to a GE interview location to have them scan the new Green Card and update the system before being able to use the GE kiosks again.

Thanks...actually CBP said just update the new 10 year expiration date in their system on the website...but that won't be for a while anyway since we just applied in May of this year..

2 minutes ago, NYCruiser said:

Thanks...actually CBP said just update the new 10 year expiration date in their system on the website...but that won't be for a while anyway since we just applied in May of this year..

That did not work for my husband, couldn't update anything on the website, had to go to GE interview location anyway.

But yeah, new green card for us should arrive Jan-Feb 2018 (September 2016 filer)...so I will let you know how it goes for the GE update.

Edited by sddude89

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.