w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

New Immigrants: How many of you send money on a regular basis to your family back home?

Sending money to your family back home  

52 members have voted

1. 1. New Immigrants: Do you send money on a regular basis to your family back home?

• Yes, I send money regularly
    • Yes, I send money from time to time
    • Yes, I have sent money, but only for emergencies
    • Never have, but might if they needed it for an emergency
    • Never have, but I will soon start sending money regularly
    • Never will
  2. 2. If you send money regularly, how much do you send on average per month?

• I currently do not send money regularly
    • 10-50 USD/month
    • 50-200 USD/month
    • 200-500 USD/month
    • 500-1000 USD/month
    • More than 1000 USD/month

58 posts in this topic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

We send money to Sujeet's family...because my father in law's pension has been cut off temporarily for the time being by the idiot governments of Bihar and Jharkhand. Because they split into 2 states years ago (instead of just Bihar), now they are arguing who should be responsible for the pensions and both refused to pay!!! :angry: Now it's in the courts or whatever and my father in law along with probably thousands and thousands of retired men have not gotten their pension since last Sept!!!

So that means zero income for my 70yr old father in law. The pension was a few hundred a month (in India that's decent). That really boils my blood. So we send him money monthly to compensate for his loss of pension, and we've been doing it since Sept. When he retired from working with the gov't(not as an official but an engineer) they lived in Bihar, but now the actual city he retired in, is in Jharkhand. The whole issue is supposed to be cleared up soon. But you know how Indian government is. :wacko: Anyway, we are sending them a couple hundred a month and so you can imagine how it hinders us saving any money here. The govt over there better get their act together!

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline
We send money to Sujeet's family...because my father in law's pension has been cut off temporarily for the time being by the idiot governments of Bihar and Jharkhand.

My grandparents on both sides had the same problem. Getting a state government to pay the pension they promised is like pulling teeth in that country. I wish you all good luck.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

We send money to Sujeet's family...because my father in law's pension has been cut off temporarily for the time being by the idiot governments of Bihar and Jharkhand.

My grandparents on both sides had the same problem. Getting a state government to pay the pension they promised is like pulling teeth in that country. I wish you all good luck.

Thank you! The thing to be grateful for is that his father is in India where we can at least send the couple hundred a month to help them...instead of it being somewhere else and thousands per month. :wacko: That is one great thing about the US/Indian relationship...it's not as hard to send a couple hundred over there which really will pay all their bills.

I was warned about women from the Philippines marrying men just so they could get here to send money back to their family, so I made it clear up front that we/I will not be supporting her family. Send a box of things we have accomlated every three or four months, but never cash.

My favorite story is that I ordered the wife's family a washing machine and I don't know if anyone has ever used it, because her brothers, sisters and parents got into a big fight over who was going to pay for the water and electricity. LOL

Edited by mdyoung

That is one great thing about the US/Indian relationship...it's not as hard to send a couple hundred over there which really will pay all their bills.

Yup. It's so easy for us to help them that I feel badly if we don't!

I was warned about women from the Philippines marrying men just so they could get here to send money back to their family, so I made it clear up front that we/I will not be supporting her family. Send a box of things we have accomlated every three or four months, but never cash.

My favorite story is that I ordered the wife's family a washing machine and I don't know if anyone has ever used it, because her brothers, sisters and parents got into a big fight over who was going to pay for the water and electricity. LOL

I agee with you! I was told pakistani men, marry american women for the same thing.

I dont support sending money back to my husbands family. I dont mind sending someting from time to time.

frankly, I dont intend on making his family our second household. I wont be budgeting for them.

this has been a sore subject with me. he tells me his parents are old. #######. my parents are much older than his - I tell him tell his father get his lazy azz a job- support his mama. My parents work. he11 i dont think so. my husband was talking about us paying for his sisters wedding. oh He11 no. if I pay for anyones wedding it will be for our own kids.

shon.gif

he tells me his parents are old. #######. my parents are much older than his - I tell him tell his father get his lazy azz a job- support his mama. My parents work. he11 i dont think so. my husband was talking about us paying for his sisters wedding. oh He11 no. if I pay for anyones wedding it will be for our own kids.

In desi culture, a man is supposed to contribute handsomely towards his sisters wedding. The thought of not doing that has actually never crossed my mind. My wife, thankfully, is ok with it too.

The same is true for parents. The culture requires that the son take care of the parents. My parents have saved enough money where I don't anticipate they will be needing me much, but if they do I'll be there.

The way I figure it, as long as I do what's right, the rest will take care of itself. IM me in 50 years and I'll tell you how that theory worked out :unsure:

Thank you! The thing to be grateful for is that his father is in India where we can at least send the couple hundred a month to help them...instead of it being somewhere else and thousands per month. :wacko: That is one great thing about the US/Indian relationship...it's not as hard to send a couple hundred over there which really will pay all their bills.

I think thats cool :thumbs: If you can afford it and it helps your SO's family why not?

Timeline

I think thats cool :thumbs: If you can afford it and it helps your SO's family why not?

yes :yes:

Sujeet didn't come to the US and marry me just so he could send money to his family. I understand why some people are paranoid about people using them for sending money to their family since it has happened to many people. But when family needs your help, if you are able to, you should help. Helping isn't being taken advantage of, you would know the difference between actually helping and getting taken advantage of.

We didn't send money until his family needed it because of his dad's pension issues. And I feel it's our responsibility to help them since we can. Otherwise, the family would be getting hardly any monthly income. My father in law is too old to work, he's been reitred for awhile. I wouldn't say that we'd never send his family back in India money. They are our family and we should help them if we can. Also I would not be against helping to pay for one of Sujeet's sisters weddings since I know that is their culture. Sure it'd have to be reasonable with what we can contribute so that we didn't go broke here. I'd also help to pay for my own sisters wedding here in the US when she gets married one day, if I am able to. That's what family does in my opinion. :thumbs: I grew up in a family where sometimes it was hard to make ends meet. Not rich at all! And so we have learned that sometimes we have to help eachother.

Edited by stina&suj

They are our family and we should help them if we can. Also I would not be against helping to pay for one of Sujeet's sisters weddings since I know that is their culture. Sure it'd have to be reasonable with what we can contribute so that we didn't go broke here. I'd also help to pay for my own sisters wedding here in the US when she gets married one day, if I am able to. That's what family does in my opinion. :thumbs: I grew up in a family where sometimes it was hard to make ends meet. Not rich at all! And so we have learned that sometimes we have to help eachother.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

My parents are both over 70 and have retired. They say they don't need regular amounts to be sent and they do live comfortably off their pensions. But we have sent money from time to time as gifts and when an emergency comes up.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

I'll answer for my husband. He sends money to his father from time to time. its not regular and its out of love, not obligation. I don't mind at all. we also helped with my husband's sister's wedding, which was a great to way to be there without actually being there.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I send money monthly to my little girl along with toys and other things.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I might be presumptuous but this poll really only concerns people who married a beneficiary from the 3rd world. My presumption gets even more support when considering the poll about whose standard of living has increased or decreased in the US:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6293

What we have over there are people from Western Europe, Australia, and Canada complaining about their lowered standard of living. Not too many people from Russia, Philippines, or Pakistan complaining about their low quality of life and low wages in the US :P